Depression a year and a half after surgury

Hi has any body had depression a year and a half after surgery i don't know whats going on but i cry all the time i didn't think i was having trouble with my masectomy but maybe i am any thoughts on this Frankie

Comments

• It's been more than 18 months for me
    and I cry at the drop of a hat since. My daughter has noted how this behavior is uncharacteristic of the old me.

I was taking a good look at my mastectomy scar just the other evening. I can still see the 30 year old scars from lumpectomies in my twenties, the lovely drain scars, and of course, the port scar over the good breast. I feel a bit like Frankenstein, but damn it all to Hell I am here. Grab the torches and run me out of the village. I just tell doctors not familiar with my diagnosis that it was a bar fight and you should see the other lady.

I went for my first real hair cut over the weekend, and you know how it always looks fabulous when the hairdresser does it, but after the first home washing and home styling...it's just another bad hair day. It's a BAD hair day!!! How friggin lucky am I to be able to have a bad hair day?

Be gentle with yourself, love yourself. If the depression is interfering with your daily functioning, it is time to tell your doctor. We live in such a wonderful time and there is no shame in therapy, you have been through Hell, keep loving yourself.

I am happy for the tears, for me it means I care.
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

It's been more than 18 months for me
    and I cry at the drop of a hat since. My daughter has noted how this behavior is uncharacteristic of the old me.

I was taking a good look at my mastectomy scar just the other evening. I can still see the 30 year old scars from lumpectomies in my twenties, the lovely drain scars, and of course, the port scar over the good breast. I feel a bit like Frankenstein, but damn it all to Hell I am here. Grab the torches and run me out of the village. I just tell doctors not familiar with my diagnosis that it was a bar fight and you should see the other lady.

I went for my first real hair cut over the weekend, and you know how it always looks fabulous when the hairdresser does it, but after the first home washing and home styling...it's just another bad hair day. It's a BAD hair day!!! How friggin lucky am I to be able to have a bad hair day?

Be gentle with yourself, love yourself. If the depression is interfering with your daily functioning, it is time to tell your doctor. We live in such a wonderful time and there is no shame in therapy, you have been through Hell, keep loving yourself.

I am happy for the tears, for me it means I care.

I had severe depression right after surgery
    I cried every day for around a month. Could hardly get out of bed. Severe anxiety and panic. Finally went to the doctor and got on an antidepressant Effexor. I now see an oncology therapist and continue the medication and am able to function pretty well.

Depression is not uncommon in cancer patients and I think post treatment is a really difficult time as you're processing all the stuff that went on.

You may want to see a doctor to see if therapy or medication could help you. There are a lot of good cancer support groups out there as well. Your local hospital or oncologist's office may be able to connect you with a group.

Best,
    Laura
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    Just Call Me Your Twin Sister
    Hi Frankie, I was diagnosed with bc in 2009 and reoccurance in 2010. I felt fine until my last surgery june 2011. I had a mastectomy oct 2010 and then breast reconstruction. My boobs looked great, I started to feel a little sexy then all of a sudden, I would cry over anything ,felt panicky, parinoid over every illness, and sad constantly. I recently went on anti-depression meds and I'm feeling better. I still have moments but they are not as intense. I'm in the process of looking for a therapist. However, my pink sisters have been so loving and supportive. You hang in there.

Prayers and Huggs
    Ballerina
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hugs!!!
    Hello Frankie, I am sorry you are feeling down right now but know that there are brighter day's ahead! I cannot speak for myself because I have not had serious depressive issue however my mom who had double mastectomies and battled cancer 4 times had very severe depression. I witnessed her struggles and her eventual rise out of the depression. I will tell you that she waited far too long to seek help, please do not do the same as the ladies have said there is help out there and no shame in seeking it. You are a survivor and you have endured much to be here you have every right to enjoy what you have worked so hard to have. Call your oncologist and tell them you are struggling with what seems to be depression and you need some help! Please let us know how it goes, we understand!

Lots of hugs,

RE
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    My heart goes out to you.
    My heart goes out to you. Depression isn't uncommon among bc survivors and it can be so debilitating. I know because I was hit with it about 6 months after surgery - right after I was finished with chemo and rads. There are many ways to fight depression - meds, therapy, meditation, Yoga, exercise, talking to friends,acupuncture, time - I needed them all to help me get better. Don't be afraid to get help, you can start with your primary care provider or a therapist. Your cancer center may have someone to help you or may be able to provide referrals. With time and support, depression does lift! xoxoxo Lynn
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Thanks every one for your
    Thanks every one for your input i see my Dr.next Tuesday so see what she has to say,the scars don't bother me as i was very small and didn't have reconstruction done maybe meds.we'll see Hugs Frankie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Thanks every one for your
    Thanks every one for your input i see my Dr.next Tuesday so see what she has to say,the scars don't bother me as i was very small and didn't have reconstruction done maybe meds.we'll see Hugs Frankie

Going thru all that we do
    Going thru all that we do with bc is more than enough to depress us. I am glad you are seeing your doctor next week. Let us know what he says and how he plans to treat you.

Good luck and sending hugs,

Jan
  • lilac08
    lilac08 Member Posts: 6
    depression
    Hi Frankie,

I know how you feel. I cried at least once a day.

In my case, I am already on a anti - depressant. I did not know the chemo ( A/C ) would react to my medicine. I am, now, on an anti - anxiety and another anti - depressant with my current anti - depressant from my psche dr.

Here is a hug!

I wish you well

Dee
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    You are not alone. I cried
    You are not alone. I cried at the drop of a hat during and a long time after treatment. I think the whole experience is so difficult and emotional, that the effect is severe and long lasting. Hang in there. You must go through emotional healing. Eventually, you will begin to feel more like you. Everyone is different, but I know I can say that cancer will never leave my mind, but with each passing year it gets better. Be good to yourself, and be patient with your feelings:)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Eil4186 said:

You are not alone. I cried
    You are not alone. I cried at the drop of a hat during and a long time after treatment. I think the whole experience is so difficult and emotional, that the effect is severe and long lasting. Hang in there. You must go through emotional healing. Eventually, you will begin to feel more like you. Everyone is different, but I know I can say that cancer will never leave my mind, but with each passing year it gets better. Be good to yourself, and be patient with your feelings:)

I think it takes a long time
    I think it takes a long time for us to even fathom all that we go thru, let alone to try and get back to our new normal. It takes time, sometimes a long time for some.

Antidepressants may help or counseling.

I am wishing you good luck and pray that you feel better,

Lex
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Thanks for the up lifts
    Thanks for the up lifts lady's i'm doing a lot better today.