need info and advice on bone mets

My mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer in august this year. A few weeks later we received the results of the lymph node biopsy and it was barely positive so she went from stage 2a to stage 2b. She is hormone positive but her-. They did the oncotype test and she was very low on the chart. We thought everything was going to be simple but then when the results from a bone scan that the dr ordered just to make sure it hadn't spread came in it became a totally different story. Now after a MRI, CAT scan, Bone scan, and PET scan we now know that there are mets on her skull, spine, ribs, pelvic bones, hip and many others. Needless to say she is now stage 4. Everything has been changing so quickly but luckily it is not in any other organs, just the bones. I wish I knew the answers to how long. My mom is only having radiation and taking a hormone pill but I would like to know why some people have chemo too. Do people die from the bone mets or am I just waiting for it spread to somewhere else? What should I expect over time? The emotional roller coaster has been a bit much this week.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    I am so sorry Katherine to
    I am so sorry Katherine to read this about your Mom. I wish I had advice or some wisdom to share with you inre to bone mets, but, I do not.

Have you spoken with her oncologist? He is the one to answer your questions as he is the one qualified too. Make an appointment with him to discuss your concerns and I am sure he will help you to understand.

I do want to wish your Mom good luck and I will be praying for her.

Hugs, Jan
  • CelticGoddess
    CelticGoddess Member Posts: 11
    I am so sorry your mom is
    I am so sorry your mom is so sick. I agree that her oncologist is the best person to ask for specifics. Start going with her to her appts., take notes, bring questions.
    I have been in a clinical trial for almost 3 yrs using bisphosphonates (bone builders--like Boniva)to prevent bone mets from primary BC. These drugs are now starting to be used to shrink bone mets as well. The SWOG trial is run out of St. Joe's in towson, MD, by Dr. Rima Couzi--she is fantastic. I now have 2.5 yrs in remission.
    I was not given chemo because Oncotype DX said my tumor would not respond to it, plus my recurrence score was 15 (low). I went from surgery to radiation, tamoxifen, zoladex (anti-estrogen drugs).
    I hope this helps. Knowledge is power, and you've got to educate yourself up a steep learning curve in a hurry. I had to do it in 2 weeks. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your mom gets a nice long remission. And remember to take care of yourself, too.
  • HootieGirl
    HootieGirl Member Posts: 85
    I am so sorry to hear about
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over a year ago and after a long treatment process, instead of entering remission the cancer spread to my bone marrow. A followup petscan showed a huge hole in the top of my femur, so I had a hip replacement and part of my femur removed and began radiation. Even though your mother's diagnosis seems overwhelming, bone mets are much more treatable than cancer in a major organ. Treatment regimines are different for everyone depending on the specifics of the diagnosis. The not knowing is the hardest part, but remember to ask lots of questions at each doctors visits and if you don't understand something, have them explain it until you two fully understand what is going on. Although its hard, staying positive makes a huge difference. Praying so hard for you and your family!!

Kat
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

I am so sorry your mom is
    I am so sorry your mom is so sick. I agree that her oncologist is the best person to ask for specifics. Start going with her to her appts., take notes, bring questions.
    I have been in a clinical trial for almost 3 yrs using bisphosphonates (bone builders--like Boniva)to prevent bone mets from primary BC. These drugs are now starting to be used to shrink bone mets as well. The SWOG trial is run out of St. Joe's in towson, MD, by Dr. Rima Couzi--she is fantastic. I now have 2.5 yrs in remission.
    I was not given chemo because Oncotype DX said my tumor would not respond to it, plus my recurrence score was 15 (low). I went from surgery to radiation, tamoxifen, zoladex (anti-estrogen drugs).
    I hope this helps. Knowledge is power, and you've got to educate yourself up a steep learning curve in a hurry. I had to do it in 2 weeks. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your mom gets a nice long remission. And remember to take care of yourself, too.

Sending positive thoughts,
    Sending positive thoughts, hugs and prayers for your mother and you!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Katerine
    Hi, and welcome to this site. This is a great group of people, both women and men, and we support each other. I was first diagnosed in 2002 with bc, then in 9/2010 with mets to my bones, stage iv. They are in most all of my bones, marrow, and skin. I have a nodule on my lung and something going on with the liver, although the liver has not been diagnosed as cancer, we are watching it. I also have lesions in my brain, but not cancer, possibly Parkinsons or MS. We are not even addressing that. I did not have a biopsy on my lung. That is also being watched as the treatment at this point would have been the same.

I was given a short life span when I pushed the doctor for his opinion, and I have gone beyond that. I wouldn't look at it as waiting for it to spread, I look at the fact that it is not in my organs as giving me more time while something is found to turn this into a chronic condition rather than a terminal one. Sometimes the pain is incredible and then I know to take meds and sleep.

I was told that the mets to the bones will not kill me, however, if I fall and break a bone that could, as my system may not be strong enough to heal. So I am careful! I get a shot for the bones (Xgeva), and take Evista. I am on pain meds so that I can function and use a wheelchair now when necessary. It has slowed me down, but not too much. I was on chemo for 9 months 3x a month. But am taking a break as the chemo took everything out of me and my onco said my body needed a break. It had gotten to the point that I was either sick or too weak to enjoy life.

Now it is going on 2 months without chemo and I am enjoying my life even more!

I wish both you and your mom the best. This disease sucks, as does chemo. But I am so thankful for the pink's I have met on this site. Overwhelming is the only way to describe the support.

Prayers,
    Carol
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I am so sorry to hear about
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over a year ago and after a long treatment process, instead of entering remission the cancer spread to my bone marrow. A followup petscan showed a huge hole in the top of my femur, so I had a hip replacement and part of my femur removed and began radiation. Even though your mother's diagnosis seems overwhelming, bone mets are much more treatable than cancer in a major organ. Treatment regimines are different for everyone depending on the specifics of the diagnosis. The not knowing is the hardest part, but remember to ask lots of questions at each doctors visits and if you don't understand something, have them explain it until you two fully understand what is going on. Although its hard, staying positive makes a huge difference. Praying so hard for you and your family!!

Kat

I'm so sorry about your
    I'm so sorry about your Mother. I will keep her in my prayers.

Hugs, Kylez
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Prayers
    I am very sorry about your mom. I don't have experience with this but wanted to send you positive thoughts and prayers. May it all work out for your mom.

Hugs
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    camul said:

Katerine
    Hi, and welcome to this site. This is a great group of people, both women and men, and we support each other. I was first diagnosed in 2002 with bc, then in 9/2010 with mets to my bones, stage iv. They are in most all of my bones, marrow, and skin. I have a nodule on my lung and something going on with the liver, although the liver has not been diagnosed as cancer, we are watching it. I also have lesions in my brain, but not cancer, possibly Parkinsons or MS. We are not even addressing that. I did not have a biopsy on my lung. That is also being watched as the treatment at this point would have been the same.

I was given a short life span when I pushed the doctor for his opinion, and I have gone beyond that. I wouldn't look at it as waiting for it to spread, I look at the fact that it is not in my organs as giving me more time while something is found to turn this into a chronic condition rather than a terminal one. Sometimes the pain is incredible and then I know to take meds and sleep.

I was told that the mets to the bones will not kill me, however, if I fall and break a bone that could, as my system may not be strong enough to heal. So I am careful! I get a shot for the bones (Xgeva), and take Evista. I am on pain meds so that I can function and use a wheelchair now when necessary. It has slowed me down, but not too much. I was on chemo for 9 months 3x a month. But am taking a break as the chemo took everything out of me and my onco said my body needed a break. It had gotten to the point that I was either sick or too weak to enjoy life.

Now it is going on 2 months without chemo and I am enjoying my life even more!

I wish both you and your mom the best. This disease sucks, as does chemo. But I am so thankful for the pink's I have met on this site. Overwhelming is the only way to describe the support.

Prayers,
    Carol

Praying for your
    Praying for your Mother.

Hugs, Leeza