Oral Moisturizers???

Options
Punkindo
Punkindo Member Posts: 113
Hey!! My Aunt has breast cancer too, but is on a different chemo than I was. She is having a lot of trouble with dry mouth and sometimes sores. She has tried Magic Mouthwash, but it doesn't help much. Anyone have any luck with any particular product???

THANKS!!!

Comments

• sylvan
    sylvan Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Has she tried biotene?
    Biotene has an entire group of products just for dry mouth. See http://www.biotene.com/ for a list of their products. I liked the mouth spray. I got it at Target.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    My mouth is dry from chemo
    My mouth is dry from chemo too--aside from Biotene, both the toothpaste and mouthwash,a couple of times a day I bite open a Vitamin E capsule, take the casing out of my mouth (!!) and then let the Vitamin E coat the inside of my mouth, and I spit out the excess. Especially helpful at bedtime. I asked my onc about this, and he said it was fine!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

My mouth is dry from chemo
    My mouth is dry from chemo too--aside from Biotene, both the toothpaste and mouthwash,a couple of times a day I bite open a Vitamin E capsule, take the casing out of my mouth (!!) and then let the Vitamin E coat the inside of my mouth, and I spit out the excess. Especially helpful at bedtime. I asked my onc about this, and he said it was fine!

Nystatin...
    Is a prescription for oral use....kept in the frig....used it 4 times a day...put it in the mouth and swish it around....I never had the first mouth sore...

Hope this helps...
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    biotene
    Biotene worked great for me too. My dentist also suggested sugar free candies to help. He also gave me a prescription strength floride tooth paste to help prevent cavities because with dry mouth you are more prone to cavities.

Cindy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

biotene
    Biotene worked great for me too. My dentist also suggested sugar free candies to help. He also gave me a prescription strength floride tooth paste to help prevent cavities because with dry mouth you are more prone to cavities.

Cindy

Another Biotene fan here
    I used Biotene mouthwash all through chemo, and only got 1 mouth sore the whole time -- worked great for me. I liked that it has a very mild, pleasant taste, so I used it twice a day during chemo, religiously, whether I was having problems or not.

I didn't find Biotene's other products helped much for me -- but the mouthwash was a godsend.

Traci
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Another Biotene fan here
    I used Biotene mouthwash all through chemo, and only got 1 mouth sore the whole time -- worked great for me. I liked that it has a very mild, pleasant taste, so I used it twice a day during chemo, religiously, whether I was having problems or not.

I didn't find Biotene's other products helped much for me -- but the mouthwash was a godsend.

Traci

Got a special gel from my dentist
    to help neutralize the acid mouth - it also helps to prevent chemo cavitites. Ice chips during and right after chemo also help keep the drugs from concentrating in your mouth. My onc told me that chemo drugs are drawn to heat so I ate cold stuff during & after chemo at his direction and never had a mouth sore. (He also had me put moist heat over the tumor site to draw the drugs in.)
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Thank you!! I will get her
    Thank you!! I will get her some Biotene ASAP. Anyone tried a product called Ulcer Ease??? A Pharmacist suggested it. I may pick it up too....
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Punkindo said:

Thank you!! I will get her
    Thank you!! I will get her some Biotene ASAP. Anyone tried a product called Ulcer Ease??? A Pharmacist suggested it. I may pick it up too....

I have not heard of Ulcer
    I have not heard of Ulcer Erase, but I forgot about the ice chips which Skipper mentioned~ I took a bag of ice chips with me to chemo 3 weeks ago, and kept my fingers in one ( as long as I could stand it, and then back in again!)and chewed on chips from the other bag! I also ate pomegranite popsicles when I got home..figured the cold and the antioxidants in the poms couldn't hurt! I started to get a few tiny blisters in my mouth, and I swabbed my mouth with the Vitamin E capsules...the next morning I had NO blisters at all!
    I also use Biotene toothpaste ( which I am not crazy about as it seems like using nothing!)and a baby toothbrush~ the softer the better!
    I hope this helps! We don't need any further insult to our bodies, do we???

Hugs,
    Chen♥