slurring words

has anyone heard of slurring words during chemo?

Comments

• Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    Yes! My husband did, I
    Yes! My husband did, I noticed it right away the fist week he started chemo. :/ It really worried me but he stopped when he finished his chemo.
  • tammybrook
    tammybrook Member Posts: 43

Yes! My husband did, I
    Yes! My husband did, I noticed it right away the fist week he started chemo. :/ It really worried me but he stopped when he finished his chemo.

slurring
    my dad said today at his office he was talking to someone and said he started slurring and couldn't get the words out...it went away quickly but i wanted to see if anyone else had this happen...what chemo was your husband on? he is now on xeloda and irinocetan..(spell)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    I Did Too
    When I was on Irinotecan. I would slur for the first day then it got better. No long term effects though.
    -phil
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    PhillieG said:

I Did Too
    When I was on Irinotecan. I would slur for the first day then it got better. No long term effects though.
    -phil

me too
    for sure I slurred on oxy....

mags
  • LAF53
    LAF53 Member Posts: 60
    slurring words
    I slur on Oxy also. Just the first few days after infusion., and not all the time.

Lydia
  • Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member

slurring
    my dad said today at his office he was talking to someone and said he started slurring and couldn't get the words out...it went away quickly but i wanted to see if anyone else had this happen...what chemo was your husband on? he is now on xeloda and irinocetan..(spell)

It was folfox and avastin...
    It was folfox and avastin... it didn't help that is was just a week after the diagnoses. That was the most difficult time, so afraid of what was going to happen. It's strange how you start to absorb and learn to live with this horrible disease. Give my best to your Dad and God bless you both.
    Brenda
  • tammybrook
    LAF53 said:

slurring words
    I slur on Oxy also. Just the first few days after infusion., and not all the time.

Lydia

slurring words
    thanks for letting me know..my mom was a little nervous...i told her to join here..u get such great responses! i never heard of slurring before..thanks again...you might see a lot of me in the future...
    Lou
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Yes
    And trying to get out what I was wanted to say was hard. It's normal and that's something the doctors dn't tell you either.

Kim
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    PhillieG said:

I Did Too
    -phil

Yes Here Too
    I'm right behind, Phil - same here - usually set in near end of infusion and into the evening. Like talking with your mouth closed was how it was. It's weird.

Just like Phil said - got it regularly on chemo days and then it seemed to go away.

-Craig
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    My wife would tease me.
    My wife Laurie would tease me. (We both work with computers where syntax and semantics are important.) I would mispronounce words, or say words out of order in a sentence. Laurie would tease me, and I would just tell her I only went to the State University. (We went to the same University.) The slurring ended with chemo. I am 6 months out of Chemo and my head is clearing the numbness is going away. It does get better!

Best Always, mike
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    thxmiker said:

My wife would tease me.
    My wife Laurie would tease me. (We both work with computers where syntax and semantics are important.) I would mispronounce words, or say words out of order in a sentence. Laurie would tease me, and I would just tell her I only went to the State University. (We went to the same University.) The slurring ended with chemo. I am 6 months out of Chemo and my head is clearing the numbness is going away. It does get better!

Best Always, mike

yes
    i did when i was on oxy and also at the time of infusion while taking irritatecan but then it would go away....Godbless....johnnybegood
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    PhillieG said:

I Did Too
    -phil

Phil,
    Are you sure it wasn't the Mary Jane?!!! :-)
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    Slurring
    Hi there... I had an issue with slurring. I spoke to my onc about it and he switched one of the medications I was taking for side effects. As soon as we made the switch there was no more slurring.
  • eringray
    eringray Member Posts: 19
    i do all the time! i feel
    i do all the time! i feel like an idot trying to talk to the nurses!
  • tammybrook
    eringray said:

i do all the time! i feel
    i do all the time! i feel like an idot trying to talk to the nurses!

slurring
    thanks all for responding...i guess this is one of the side effects..this is the first time so will watch next chemo round...few more before scan...hope those cancer cells shrunk away....