Need a hair stylist

Options
Just lost most of my hair and will need to shave my head today. Does anyone know someone who cuts hair for people with cancer? Dont want to go to my usual stylist but would like someone who has experience doing this for people with cancer.

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Your usual stylist will be just fine
    I've never heard of anyone who specializes in hair cuts for people who have cancer, but I think most of them have been faced with the task of cutting/buzzing/shaving someone's head who is going through chemotherapy. I had mine buzzed to around 1/4" when it started to fall out. It made the process less traumatic.

Good luck.

Suzanne
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    hairstylist
    My wig shop will shave heads of women losing it to cancer free of charge. The name of the place is Commenci. She is a former onc. nurse who opened a shop for post mastectomy and cancer patients in general. I just cut mine cute short at first, then boy short and then I'll shave it myself. I cut my boys hair for years. I figure I can't really mess it up :) I have been told NOT to shave it completely bald because of I guess follicle infection or sometheing. Hope this helps. I started my treatment four days ago so any time now I'll stand with you!! Let's stand tall. NONE of this is our doing, decision or identity.
  • kit kat
    kit kat Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Hey I am a hairdresser who
    Hey I am a hairdresser who got bc, chemo the works. Your hairdresser should understand.I had one of the girls buzz it off a # 3 buzz. She refused to do a 0.It was itchy so my husband buzzed it on a triple ooo the barber buzzer.I worked with a wig ,false eyelashes and lots of makeup during chemo. I had a double mas. I tried to get dissability, but guess what they said? ( Cancer is not a dissability!) Meanwhile I know people on a free check for a bad knee!! Could u believe this counrty?
  • kit kat
    kit kat Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Hey I am a hairdresser who
    Hey I am a hairdresser who got bc, chemo the works. Your hairdresser should understand.I had one of the girls buzz it off a # 3 buzz. She refused to do a 0.It was itchy so my husband buzzed it on a triple ooo the barber buzzer.I worked with a wig ,false eyelashes and lots of makeup during chemo. I had a double mas. I tried to get dissability, but guess what they said? ( Cancer is not a dissability!) Meanwhile I know people on a free check for a bad knee!! Could u believe this counrty?
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Your usual stylist will be just fine
    I've never heard of anyone who specializes in hair cuts for people who have cancer, but I think most of them have been faced with the task of cutting/buzzing/shaving someone's head who is going through chemotherapy. I had mine buzzed to around 1/4" when it started to fall out. It made the process less traumatic.

Good luck.

Suzanne

Martha, I bumped up a post
    Martha, I bumped up a post titled HELPFUL WEBSITES that has a lot of great sites for free scarves and such incase you might be interested.

Sue :)
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Any body good with clippers
    I just had a friend buzz my hair. She always cuts her husbands and trims his beard. She did a great job. I didn't want to go out in public and she was able to come to my house.

Good Luck,
    Cindy