Sore throat after Neulasta shot?

Good Morning!

I have finished 11 taxol (did not have 12th due to nuropathy) I had my 2nd F/A/C on Tuesday my bloodcounts were all very good so I was surprised when the Cancer center called me that evening and told me my ONC had ordered a Neulasta shot for me. I called Him to confirm because he had not mentioned it to me and he said as a safegaurd he wanted to to have it.I have worked so hard keeping my bloodcounts up,learning about nutrition etc. Has anyone else had them when there counts were all good? This really confused me. After the 2nd F/A/C I felt pretty good,so much better than the first.
I got the Neulasta shot Thursday morning and by that evening felt like I have been beaten. Bones,muscles,even my skin hurts.
This morning I woke up with a sore throat.Its only on the right side but man is it sore.I am not running a fever so didnt know if this is a side effect of Neulasta or the beginning of an infection? Waiting on callback from Dr but thought I would ask for advice on what helps best with the throat pain.
Thank you and God Bless
Mary

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I don't know about the sore
    I don't know about the sore throat...but claratin is recommended by the manufacturer for the bone pain that comes with the neulasta. Check with your onc and your pharmacist...it worked for me with the neupogin (a cousin to neulasta).

Hugs,

Linda
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Ice chips for the throat!!!
    Hi Mary
    During my chemo the first round put me in the hospital for a few days cuz of fever and critically low counts. So from the point on i got the nuelasta shot. It made me feel like i got ran over by a truck over and over again. It hurt for anyone to even lightly touch me and their wasnt any part of my body that didnt hurt and yes i got the sore throat too. It felt dry and hoarse and hurt but i couldnt remember if it was from the chemo or the shot. If i remember right it lasted for 2-4 days for the worst of it.
    You should say something to your doc anyway just incase it is something different thou...like strept throat ect...just to be on the safe side!
    I dont have any advise for the rest of your question cuz i didnt go thru that.
    Usually something cold and wet like ice chips helped me.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

I don't know about the sore
    I don't know about the sore throat...but claratin is recommended by the manufacturer for the bone pain that comes with the neulasta. Check with your onc and your pharmacist...it worked for me with the neupogin (a cousin to neulasta).

Hugs,

Linda

Did anything help with your
    Did anything help with your sore throat? I might have missed an update from you.

Hugs, Debby
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jo jo said:

Ice chips for the throat!!!
    Hi Mary
    During my chemo the first round put me in the hospital for a few days cuz of fever and critically low counts. So from the point on i got the nuelasta shot. It made me feel like i got ran over by a truck over and over again. It hurt for anyone to even lightly touch me and their wasnt any part of my body that didnt hurt and yes i got the sore throat too. It felt dry and hoarse and hurt but i couldnt remember if it was from the chemo or the shot. If i remember right it lasted for 2-4 days for the worst of it.
    You should say something to your doc anyway just incase it is something different thou...like strept throat ect...just to be on the safe side!
    I dont have any advise for the rest of your question cuz i didnt go thru that.
    Usually something cold and wet like ice chips helped me.

I am trying to remember, but
    I am trying to remember, but it seems that after chemo i ould get a sore throat on the right side as if my glands were swollen. I got neulasta with every AC chemo but not taxol.
    I also have neuropathy fun fun
  • fighting4five
    fighting4five Member Posts: 71
    carkris said:

I am trying to remember, but
    I am trying to remember, but it seems that after chemo i ould get a sore throat on the right side as if my glands were swollen. I got neulasta with every AC chemo but not taxol.
    I also have neuropathy fun fun

The sore throat went away
    The sore throat went away after 4 days. My ONC said to use throat drops which helped some. I also used a humidifier which helped.
    Funny thing is he said he believed it to be from the f/a/c not the neulasta but yesterday I received f/a/c #3 and felt fine until a few hours after receiving the neulasta today. I can feel my throat starting to get sore again.Go figure...with having this much chemo, anti nausea meds. all of the pre-meds pain meds etc in my system,who knows what is actually causing what side effects.