i would love to her some thoughts about stopping bone strenthening shot.

mzl0ve
mzl0ve Member Posts: 62
ok I tend to over think things, I have stage 4 with bone mets and have been told I will be taking the shot every month for the rest of my life. to help protect my bones from the cancer.

Heres were the over thinking comes in ...

I want to keep the beast at bay and will keep fighting, however i cant help but think why keep taking the shot, yes sit helps peotect my bones, but what if it does to good of a job and it goes to my organs instead.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not going to stop the shot without talking to my Dr. however i dont see him till the 14th and im not sure i can let my mind rest on this

Comments

• ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    Are you refering to Zometa?
    Are you refering to Zometa? I get this once a month as an infusion. Its to keep the mets from getting worse. The bone mets weaken the bone and can lead to fractures and other problems.

You should be on another medication to help protect your organs.

I had a hard time accepting the fact thar I would have the montly infusion.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Are you refering to Zometa?
    Are you refering to Zometa? I get this once a month as an infusion. Its to keep the mets from getting worse. The bone mets weaken the bone and can lead to fractures and other problems.

You should be on another medication to help protect your organs.

I had a hard time accepting the fact thar I would have the montly infusion.

I am so sorry that you even
    I am so sorry that you even have to have the shot, but from what I know, if you are on Zometa, it will help you. I hope someone else that knows more will post more info for you.

Hugs,

Jan
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I am on Xgeva and get the
    I am on Xgeva and get the shot once a month, was on Zometa. They are both good but the pain is less for me from the Xgeva. I am happy to know that there is something to help strengthen my bones. As I understand it, the bone shot strengthens the bones against fractures/breaks, the chemo was to fight the cancer and the Evista (use to be on tamoxifen) is to block the estrogen from feeding the tumors.

I will also be on the shot till the end. I also know that if I do fracture or bread a bone, my system may not be strong enough to heal quickly and in some cases not at all. So I will have faith and continue to believe that if I don't break a bone my chances of being around longer are greater.

Carol