New Here....

I am 38 years old and was dx with breast cancer on 10/14. My lymph node biopsy came back CLEAR!!! (praise GOD!) BUT...I am HER2 positive. I am scheduled for a double mastectomy on 11/10.

This is what I know so far....most of it is still in the duct, but 2 small places it went outside of the duct. The total measures 10cm. I meet with my oncologist next Tuesday to find out what the treatment will be after surgery.

My dr. has said that we did catch this very early, but the whole 10cm thing totally freaks me out. I would love to hear from others that have had HER2 positive cancer and what their experiences have been.

Thanks!!

Lori

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Hi Lori! I am sorry that
    Hi Lori! I am sorry that you are here, but, glad that you found this site. It's a great support group of pink sisters.

Congrats on your node coming back clean! That is reason to celebrate for sure!

I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads, no chemo. I am ER and PR + and HER2-.

I know that others that are HER2 + like you will respond.

It is easy to freak out about anything concerning our bc, but, try to breathe and stay as calm as possible. We've all been thru it and still do go thru it every time we have to have a test or feel a pain out of the ordinary.

Good luck with your oncologist next week. Post to let us know what he says and what treatment you will be having. Although, your oncologist won't be able to completely give your treatment plan, in my opinion, until after your surgery and he gets the path report back.

You take care and keep posting!

HUGS!
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    new here
    Hi Dougieswife, I too have to say I am so sorry you're here. I was dx Aug. 11, 2011. Had surgery, port implant this past Mon., chemo next week, and then 5-6 wks radiation and 5 yrs meds. I say this matter of factly, but there's NONE there. It's a very hard place to be and truly has many winding roads and unexpected turns. The unexpected turns don't always have to be a recurrence or "worse than they expected". But because we have never walked such a road, literally each step is unknown. I find that even when I research it and ask questions, there is still an "unknown" to be experienced because I personally have to walk it. Make sense? Maybe not yet, but it will. Also for me, cancer is more than ANYTHING else, emotional. This may not be the case for you. Hopefully not. I have found how much I really DO NOT trust God like I thought and claimed I did. What's incredible and precious is that He knew it all along and loved me (and you) the same. When you can't see His hand, trust His heart. Enormous challenge, but you'll find Him there with each step if you've known Him as Saviour beforehand. And if you haven't...look up. He's been waiting all along. :) My very best to you.
  • DougiesWife
    DougiesWife Member Posts: 3
    madsters1 said:

new here
    Hi Dougieswife, I too have to say I am so sorry you're here. I was dx Aug. 11, 2011. Had surgery, port implant this past Mon., chemo next week, and then 5-6 wks radiation and 5 yrs meds. I say this matter of factly, but there's NONE there. It's a very hard place to be and truly has many winding roads and unexpected turns. The unexpected turns don't always have to be a recurrence or "worse than they expected". But because we have never walked such a road, literally each step is unknown. I find that even when I research it and ask questions, there is still an "unknown" to be experienced because I personally have to walk it. Make sense? Maybe not yet, but it will. Also for me, cancer is more than ANYTHING else, emotional. This may not be the case for you. Hopefully not. I have found how much I really DO NOT trust God like I thought and claimed I did. What's incredible and precious is that He knew it all along and loved me (and you) the same. When you can't see His hand, trust His heart. Enormous challenge, but you'll find Him there with each step if you've known Him as Saviour beforehand. And if you haven't...look up. He's been waiting all along. :) My very best to you.

Makes Sense!
    Totally makes sense!!!

It is a miracle that I went to the dr. I had a dry, scaly, crusty nipple. A friend who is a survivor posted a link on FB and I clicked on it and saw that it could be a sign of cancer. My heart sank!!!

I thank GOD everyday that I clicked on that link. I prayed and had many people praying for a wall of protection around my lymph nodes. I know that as a Christian, Heaven is awesome, Jesus is way better than any family member, but I told God that I was not ready for Him to take me. My mom passed away 3 years ago from Pulmonary Fibrosis and I saw what that did to my little boy who was only 3 (now 6). I told God that he already lost his Grammy, he will NOT lose his mommy, too!

God has been in this EVERY step of the way....I see it and I thank Him for this journey. I have a great sense of humor about it all and even had a "Bye Bye Boobies" party on Monday night. I am excited to see what God is going to do with this.

Now...being that I am a week away from surgery, fear and anxiety are setting in...just because of all of the unknowns. That is the WORST part about the whole thing!!!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Not her2 positive
    However, I have the second most aggressive form of bc. I had a 6.6cm tumor and two lymph nodes invlolved. It freaked me out on the size of it because they still only considered me a stage 2. However when you get the pathology report and they tell you the stage try and trust them on what they tell you as far as the stage of cancer you have. These pathologists get educated on a lot of the latest research so what seems illogical to you makes perfect sense to them. I am almost through radiation and feeling almost like my old self. So let that give you hope.

Wanted to welcome you to the site.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Makes Sense!
    Totally makes sense!!!

It is a miracle that I went to the dr. I had a dry, scaly, crusty nipple. A friend who is a survivor posted a link on FB and I clicked on it and saw that it could be a sign of cancer. My heart sank!!!

I thank GOD everyday that I clicked on that link. I prayed and had many people praying for a wall of protection around my lymph nodes. I know that as a Christian, Heaven is awesome, Jesus is way better than any family member, but I told God that I was not ready for Him to take me. My mom passed away 3 years ago from Pulmonary Fibrosis and I saw what that did to my little boy who was only 3 (now 6). I told God that he already lost his Grammy, he will NOT lose his mommy, too!

God has been in this EVERY step of the way....I see it and I thank Him for this journey. I have a great sense of humor about it all and even had a "Bye Bye Boobies" party on Monday night. I am excited to see what God is going to do with this.

Now...being that I am a week away from surgery, fear and anxiety are setting in...just because of all of the unknowns. That is the WORST part about the whole thing!!!

Welcome Dougies Wife! I am
    Welcome Dougies Wife! I am so glad that you went to your doctor when you did! And, I thank God also that you saw that on FB and clicked on it.

I am wishing you good luck with your surgery! Post to keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza