Reflecting back one year later

butterflylvr
butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
edited October 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
It was one year ago today I heard those words "You got cancer." I remember sitting at home getting that call from my breast surgeon confirming what I already knew deep in my heart. A year ago today my life changed and not always for the worst.

I want to put my story out there for all you new people just starting your journey. Never give up the hope and please, please keep the positive attitude. My tumor was diagnosed as stage III IDC, left breast only. Tumor size was big 7 mm.s no node involvement. This past year brought me 3 surgeries (port, double mastectomy, debrement), 4 rounds of chemo and 33 treatments of radiation. Next week I will undergo my implant exchange surgery. What's one more right?

Throughout my journey I have learned so much about myself. When I lost my hair, I found I wasn't as vain as I always believed I was. Having a bald head taught me that it's what's on the inside that people care about and this was proven to me on numerous occasions. It became very humbling and very rewarding.

I've learned that I can still have a since of humor even in my darkest hour. Don't shut down and exclude people from your life. Those that reach out to you, extend those open arms back to them. Keep communication open and keep them included in your progress. It's amazing the places you will find that love. Your family, friends, co-workers and your community.. they are all out there if you open your heart and arms to them as well.

The strength within you is so powerful, when you think you've had enough there seems to be a hidden supply within reach. On the days you feel that it's not there this board is the perfect place to reflect back too. The strength here in our pink family can give you so much hope and love.

Albeit it, it's been a long year I know I have come out a stronger person on the otherside with so much love and life to give yet, and I wish the same success with all of my new fellow pink sisters just beginning their journey.

I'll be praying and cheering each of you on from the sidelines... Strength, courage, hope..
Hugs to all,

Lorrie

Comments

• grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    We're glad you are here Lorrie
    You made it a year, YAHOO!! I love milestones!

Congratulations

Jennifer
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    grams2jc said:

We're glad you are here Lorrie
    You made it a year, YAHOO!! I love milestones!

Congratulations

Jennifer

Beautifully
    Said.......we find strength within ourselves that we never knew existed......

Hugs,Nancy
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    MAJW said:

Beautifully

Hugs,Nancy

Very well said Lorrie! I was
    Very well said Lorrie! I was also very humbled by the people in my life during my time of need for sure!
    Renee
  • renee616
    MAJW said:

Beautifully

Hugs,Nancy

Very well said Lorrie! I was also very humbled by the people in my life during my time of need for sure!
    Renee
  • renee616
    MAJW said:

Beautifully

Hugs,Nancy

Renee
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    renee616 said:

Renee

"Women are like tea bags.
    YOu never know how strong they can be until you put them in hot water." Eleanor Rosevelt said it, I've posted it before, everyone here has proven it true. Thanks for sharing!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    skipper54 said:

"Women are like tea bags.
    YOu never know how strong they can be until you put them in hot water." Eleanor Rosevelt said it, I've posted it before, everyone here has proven it true. Thanks for sharing!

Lorrie .. Thank you for sharing ..
    You are indeed a treasured 'tea bag', here on our site.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Well said Lorrie!
    Well said Lorrie! Congrats!

I agree with everyting you said. I would never wish cancer on anyone, but I've learned so much about myself during this journey and have gotten more support than I could ever imagine.
    I guess some good comes out of everything bad.

Hugs,
    Debi
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    just beginning
    Hi there.BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for sharing.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    MAJW said:

Beautifully

Hugs,Nancy

Wishing you the best and
    Wishing you the best and congrats on the big one year!