For Mandy in Atlanta

NGC1514
NGC1514 Member Posts: 46 Member
Mandy wrote:
Hi, my name is Mandy, I was just wondering who u used in atlanta, and if u had a bad experience?
I am in Atl. trying to get help for a friend that I believe was not properly taken care, and now has been abandoned by the dr."

My surgeon was Dr. John Moore with the Atlanta Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery Group. He, and Dr. Dan Miller at Emory Healthcare are considered the two best qualified surgeons for this type surgery.

My oncologist is a member of the Kaiser-Permanente group and can only be seen by Kaiser patients. For radiation I saw Dr. Dale McCord with the Atlanta Oncology Associates.

I'd suggest a call to Dr. Moore for a consult if at all possible. At least hear what he might have to say.

Eric in Atlanta

Comments

• mjolee
    mjolee Member Posts: 7
    Thank u Eric
    Could I get ur personal opinion
    If a general surgeon (not sure how much experience w/ this specific) tells u, I am gonna do this surgery (esophagectomt) and u well be fine and home in no time. Then says it didn't work, so u need to go home (with hospice) and prepare to die. And would not provide reason why. And never comes back to patient even though he said I want to do anything to fight it. Does this give the impression to u...that dr. might have done something wrong? Such as not not properly diagnosis and staging, as swell as check if.it had already spread to other organs etc.
    Did dr. not provide the "standard of care"
  • NGC1514
    mjolee said:

Thank u Eric
    Could I get ur personal opinion
    If a general surgeon (not sure how much experience w/ this specific) tells u, I am gonna do this surgery (esophagectomt) and u well be fine and home in no time. Then says it didn't work, so u need to go home (with hospice) and prepare to die. And would not provide reason why. And never comes back to patient even though he said I want to do anything to fight it. Does this give the impression to u...that dr. might have done something wrong? Such as not not properly diagnosis and staging, as swell as check if.it had already spread to other organs etc.
    Did dr. not provide the "standard of care"

A general surgeon?
    A general surgeon would not be licensed to perform an esophagectomy. A general surgeon would only do the first part of the operation - mobilizing the stomach - and a thoracic surgeon would do the actual esophagectomy.

Something is very wrong here and I'd be in touch with the State Board of Medical Examiners (http://medicalboard.georgia.gov/portal/site/GCMB/)and file a complaint. I would also call the surgeon's office tomorrow and demand a copy of the medical records and an explanation.

You can also put the surgeon's name into the Georgia Composite Board search field (http://www.docboard.org/ga/) and see if the doctor is a licensed thoracic surgeon.

Other than that, not knowing the details of the situation, it's hard to say whether the patient received the proper standard of care. But the patient is supposed to know what his medical condition is and what happened during the operation.

It's time to start kicking in doors until you get the answers you need. Starting with the State Board is the way to go.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Eric in Atlanta
  • NGC1514
    NGC1514 said:

A general surgeon?
    A general surgeon would not be licensed to perform an esophagectomy. A general surgeon would only do the first part of the operation - mobilizing the stomach - and a thoracic surgeon would do the actual esophagectomy.

Something is very wrong here and I'd be in touch with the State Board of Medical Examiners (http://medicalboard.georgia.gov/portal/site/GCMB/)and file a complaint. I would also call the surgeon's office tomorrow and demand a copy of the medical records and an explanation.

You can also put the surgeon's name into the Georgia Composite Board search field (http://www.docboard.org/ga/) and see if the doctor is a licensed thoracic surgeon.

Other than that, not knowing the details of the situation, it's hard to say whether the patient received the proper standard of care. But the patient is supposed to know what his medical condition is and what happened during the operation.

It's time to start kicking in doors until you get the answers you need. Starting with the State Board is the way to go.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Eric in Atlanta

Just talked with the wife...
    My wife is a doctor here in Atlanta (a pediatrician) and I asked her what route she suggests to get the answers you need.

The first question she asked was your relationship with the patient. With all the HIPAA rules about privacy, it will be very difficult for you to do much of anything unless you are related to the patient.

First you should meet with the doctor and get your questions answered. You should also talk to the front office staff and get a copy of the medical records. The staff may drag feet and you probably will be charged a per page cost to provide the records, but the law allows you to demand and receive the records.

If you don't get satisfactory answers from the original surgeon, she then suggests getting in touch with another surgeon for a second opinion. Provide the medical records and see what the second doctor says. If you run into the natural hesitation for one doctor to speak poorly of another, then find a good medical malpractice attorney and let him review the records. The wife says these guys know almost as much about medicine as the docs do.

If the second doc or the lawyer think something went very wrong, then it's time to file complaints with the Board of Medical Examiners.

But be on the phone with the doctor's office first thing tomorrow morning and don't take no for an answer.

Hope this helps,

Eric in Atlanta