Help Please! Esophagectomy with Pull-Up, Squamous Cells! Surgery and Post-Op questions.

Manda4202
Manda4202 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Dear Readers,

My Aunt Pat was recently diagnosed with Esophageal cancer in September. She is a 3x Cancer survivor and has already endured so much. Our entire family is very scared because she is going to have this very invasive surgery very soon. The surgeons explained that she will have to undergo an Esophogectomy with a pull-up. This would entail having her esophagus completely removed and her stomach pulled up an utilized as the esophagus and attached to her throat. It will be a huge in depth surgery of 4-8 hours long and we all would like to know some information from others that have underwent this procedure. She is so frightened to say the least which is completely understandable, however she did want to hear from others that have underwent this operation and what she will be looking at in terms of post-op recovery. If anyone can give us some information, we would greatly appreciate it. My Aunt Pat is a great person, a light in all of our lives and has already endured 3 types of cancer, so she is a fighter and one of the strongest people I know. However, this is really scary and we don’t ever want to imagine losing her, when she has battled off cancer since 2001. I love her so much an feel so grateful to have a person like her in my life, she is a second mother to me and I feel very upset an frustrated that this is the only way. However, she is prepared to do this for herself and her family. So if any of you have some information to share, it would be so helpful, even the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know how difficult this is going to be, however not one person can completely understand, unless they have shared this experience. So once again I would thank you so much for any information/experiences provided. Please also pray for her, because she is such a special person, and we need her in our lives, all the help would be great. Thank you so much an god bless you all = )

Sincerely, Amanda

Comments

• NGC1514
    NGC1514 Member Posts: 46 Member
    Aunt Pat
    Amanda,

You left out an important piece of information: how old is Aunt Pat? I think age should be an important factor in making such decisions as she's facing.

Eric in Atlanta
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    NGC1514 said:

Aunt Pat
    Amanda,

You left out an important piece of information: how old is Aunt Pat? I think age should be an important factor in making such decisions as she's facing.

Eric in Atlanta

Hi, also what stage
    Hi,
    As Eric mentioned we almost need more facts to reply. I am a Stage III survivor of squamous cell and was 65 when operated on. Age does make a difference. I had the full 3 incision surgery but many on here have had a minimally invasive surgery with less cutting and shorter recovery time. If she is considered an surgery candidate,then usually you undergo a regimen of chemo and radiation treatments, staging is before that and then PET/CT scans to see if you responded to this treatment before you get the esophagectomy. We have many survivors on this board who will be most helpful to answer your questions and anything we can do to help you we will do. It is a long and hard road but doable. Hoping that this helps, take care,
    Donna70
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    NGC1514 said:

Aunt Pat
    Amanda,

Eric in Atlanta

Surgery
    Amanda,
    My husband was diagnosed with stage IV Esophageal cancer in Oct of 2010. Being stage IV surgery has not been an option for him, but there are many others here that have had surgery and will come on a tell of their experiences shortly. A little more info is needed. What stage is your aunt? Is she being treated at a major cancer center that specializes in EC? If not that is most important that she get to one. EC is a very ugly disease, and you want a team of doctors who deal with it daily, not someone who only sees a few cases a year. There are several different types of surgery, some more invasive than others, so you will want to research all of them. Others here will tell of their experiences with them. Is her cancer squamous cell or adenocarcinoma? Does she have a caregiver or family support? What part of the country does she live in? Answers to these questions will help others to understand your situation a little better and allow them to offer their advice relative to your aunts situation. This is a great site with many wonderful, caring and supportive people who know and understand what your aunt, you and your whole family are going through. You will find lots of support and prayers here. Good luck and prayers coming your way as you and your aunt start on this journey with the "beast".
    Cheryl
    Wife of Rickie, dx stage IV with mets to bones, Oct. 2010
  • Manda4202
    Manda4202 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the feedback and support!
    Thank you all so much for your feedback and support, it really means so much to us. I did leave out some vital material about Aunt Pat’s case in which I will now include. Aunt Pats cancer was diagnosed in September from an upper endoscopy, early detection, so there were no stages presented at this time. The surgeons concluded it was aggressive squamous cells (esophageal cancer) which is contained. The surgery is Full 3 Incisions, esophagectomy with pull-up. Aunt Pat lives on Long Island, NY with us and will be utilizing surgeons at Stony Brook University Hospital. Aunt Pat is 71 years old and really healthy besides the cancer. She does have COPD from radiation due to her second cancer and a history of blood clot disease. She walks, eats healthy, and is in great weight and shape. Therefore, the surgeons only concern about her health besides the surgery and post-op recovery is blood clot disease that they will treat with a stent. The surgeons explained that she will be unable to undergo chemo/radiation due to former use of chemo in two previous cancers, and radiation damage to the lungs. Aunt Pat is really a healthy person and has Great Spirit. Therefore, I hope some of this information will be more helpful for the readers and our own understanding of the journey that she will endure. Thank you so much once again and god bless you.

Sincerely, Amanda
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Manda4202 said:

Thank you all so much for your feedback and support, it really means so much to us. I did leave out some vital material about Aunt Pat’s case in which I will now include. Aunt Pats cancer was diagnosed in September from an upper endoscopy, early detection, so there were no stages presented at this time. The surgeons concluded it was aggressive squamous cells (esophageal cancer) which is contained. The surgery is Full 3 Incisions, esophagectomy with pull-up. Aunt Pat lives on Long Island, NY with us and will be utilizing surgeons at Stony Brook University Hospital. Aunt Pat is 71 years old and really healthy besides the cancer. She does have COPD from radiation due to her second cancer and a history of blood clot disease. She walks, eats healthy, and is in great weight and shape. Therefore, the surgeons only concern about her health besides the surgery and post-op recovery is blood clot disease that they will treat with a stent. The surgeons explained that she will be unable to undergo chemo/radiation due to former use of chemo in two previous cancers, and radiation damage to the lungs. Aunt Pat is really a healthy person and has Great Spirit. Therefore, I hope some of this information will be more helpful for the readers and our own understanding of the journey that she will endure. Thank you so much once again and god bless you.

Sincerely, Amanda

Minimally Invasive Surgery
    Hello & "welcome" Amanda!

Please review the board for thoughts on the MIE. It's the least invasive, fastest recovery surgery for EC that is available.

My husband had the THE about 45 days ago. It's something in between the Ivor Lewis and the MIE. He's 48 and has recovered well.

I'm glad Aunt Pat has a strong support system. It will be SO important as she goes through this. EC is a difficult cancer and will take all of you behind her providing strength and encouragement.

Prayers & Best Wishes

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx T3N1M0 05/19/11
    THE 09/08/11
    clear path 09/13/11
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Manda4202 said:

Sincerely, Amanda

WELCOME!! Tell me more!!
    Manda,
    With EC, diagnosed means STAGED. whether it's Stage I, II, II, or IV like mine.
    There is simply NO WAY to proceed or plan any treatment without that STAGE number. It's like getting keys to a house with no address given!

We have ALL been around the block here more than a few times, and we are here to help, live to help, and love to welcome new people to our group and learn from each other. I think others have posed many other great questions, an thank you for providing the follow-up information so farm but more is surly needed if there is to be any real helpful advice to calm any fears, without us all just guessing.

This is one nasty cancer, one of the worst, and Squamous cell is the most aggressive.
    I do not understand what they would not want to try SOME level of chemo specific to EC, regardless of past cancer or chemo regimens, although I DO understand no radiation possible.

This is NOT one cancer many will survive no matter what, without some type of pre-or post-op chemo, usually both, or it is simply going to recur or spread after surgery, at some point, Seems sadly guaranteed from my watching these boards in just the last 5 months now.

I wish you and your Aunt NOTHING but the best, and the BEST chances at recover and life!
    I look forward to your next post soon. May you have a great day. God bless,
    -Eric