OT Warm Fuzzies

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
Danny and I have really been churning out the blankets again. The new infusion center has beautiful windows and was rather warm this summer. But now it's getting cooler. We just donated 2 dozen and have about 20 more when they finish handing those out. I still really get a big kick out of it. And, forgive my chemo brain, but thanks again to the Kindred who suggested "Warm Fuzzies" because everyone smiles when they read the little card that we attach.

Danny is such a help. Mr. Engineer has his special way of making the blankets so that he can precisely cut more than one at a time. I can't do his way, but, if you ask me, I'm faster anyway ;-)

And we have gotten very good about finding coupons and sales. This year (nod to Vicki Sam), we even found Saints and LSU fabric at a great price.

And I have a new goal. I have never ever used a sewing machine, but I am going to take a class so I can learn to make matching hats.

I also bumped into a lady at Hancock's who wants to help and she just emailed me that she made 3 blankets. It would be even better if I could get folks working on this so that it is a sustainable program.

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Lovely!
    I do remember when you began your efforts. So meaningful, and I'm quite sure appreciated by the recipients.

Kind regards, Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Lovely!
    I do remember when you began your efforts. So meaningful, and I'm quite sure appreciated by the recipients.

Kind regards, Susan

CC -- You are such a SPECIAL Warrior ..
    I know first hand what a joy these Warm Fuzzies provide individuals, as I received one during our last Christmas exchange. In fact, I am using my very own warm fuzzies this morning while sipping my coffee, and emailing.

The love, warmth and comfort your blankets provide are everlasting.

Thank you for thinking of me, CC.

Vicki Sam
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    VickiSam said:

CC -- You are such a SPECIAL Warrior ..
    I know first hand what a joy these Warm Fuzzies provide individuals, as I received one during our last Christmas exchange. In fact, I am using my very own warm fuzzies this morning while sipping my coffee, and emailing.

The love, warmth and comfort your blankets provide are everlasting.

Thank you for thinking of me, CC.

Vicki Sam

Awesome!
    Are these the blankets that you cut the sides into a "fringe" then tie them? Using fleece? I make these types...I know they are labor intensive...how kind of you to make them .....I have another little suggestion.......I make what I call "booby pillows...." I was given one when I had my biopsy, where I have my mammos.....a church group made them....these are used when riding in the car, to put between the chest and shoulder harness...I still use mine....I make these and donate to the bc center where I am being treated....Any kind of soft fabric will do.. anyone with a sewing machine...(hint, hint :) ) can whip these up quickly....just two squares of fabric sewn on all 4 sides, leaving an opening big enough to stuff with fiber fill, then whip stich it closed.....also I have made a few "dog bone shaped" pillows for chemo patients...it's good to rest your neck.....I also was given one of these,again, made by a church group....

It's a good feeling to " give back"......you and the hubby are awesome for doing this!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    MAJW said:

Awesome!
    Are these the blankets that you cut the sides into a "fringe" then tie them? Using fleece? I make these types...I know they are labor intensive...how kind of you to make them .....I have another little suggestion.......I make what I call "booby pillows...." I was given one when I had my biopsy, where I have my mammos.....a church group made them....these are used when riding in the car, to put between the chest and shoulder harness...I still use mine....I make these and donate to the bc center where I am being treated....Any kind of soft fabric will do.. anyone with a sewing machine...(hint, hint :) ) can whip these up quickly....just two squares of fabric sewn on all 4 sides, leaving an opening big enough to stuff with fiber fill, then whip stich it closed.....also I have made a few "dog bone shaped" pillows for chemo patients...it's good to rest your neck.....I also was given one of these,again, made by a church group....

It's a good feeling to " give back"......you and the hubby are awesome for doing this!
    Hugs, Nancy

Aarrgh!
    Now I really have to learn how to sew! The pressure is on. Maybe you can teach an old dog a new trick?