latissimus dorsi flap procedure

Options
teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
im going to have this done in november on both sides i had a double masectomy. i would like to hear from others that have had this done. any information would be appreciated.

thank you!
teresa

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Can't add anything except that I'm also looking for info -
    I'm scheduled for Nov. 8th for the same thing except only onthe right.
  • fpetrie23
    fpetrie23 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Latissimus dorsi flap procedure
    I am also considering this procedure and having a difficult time searching for someone who has had this done. Please let me know what you find out.
    Thanks,
    Francesca
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies. I had this done
    Hi, ladies. I had this done in August 2010. I think the worst part were the drains. But, they were out at around the 2 week mark. You will have limited range of motion in your arms, so it is recommended that you put the things you have stored above your countertop down lower. I was out of work for 2 weeks and back to my exercising (Jazzercise) in 4 weeks. Because the muscles from your back are moved forward, you will have some movement in your breasts when you move your arms. It is strange at first but you get used to it. I wish you all well. I know there are a couple of other sisters on here that have had this surgery and hopefully they share their experience.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, ladies. I had this done
    Hi, ladies. I had this done in August 2010. I think the worst part were the drains. But, they were out at around the 2 week mark. You will have limited range of motion in your arms, so it is recommended that you put the things you have stored above your countertop down lower. I was out of work for 2 weeks and back to my exercising (Jazzercise) in 4 weeks. Because the muscles from your back are moved forward, you will have some movement in your breasts when you move your arms. It is strange at first but you get used to it. I wish you all well. I know there are a couple of other sisters on here that have had this surgery and hopefully they share their experience.

Me 2~Just one side~
    I was so afraid of this surgery~it seemed to be so invasive, but actually turned out to be much easier on me than the mastectomy was (unilateral, just one breast involved). It helped to elevate my upper body (several pillows, and on my back) as I slept, which helps keep swelling down(the pressure of sleeping on your back) and drainage flowing good (being elevated gravity draws it downward). That helped me. I did have to keep my arms from going up too high or over my head for several weeks for healing. That sure made it hard to blow dry and style my hair!! I could not lift anything heavier than a dinner plate for a few weeks, nor any heavy housework (rats) but over about 4 weeks got back into the swing of things easier. I was even out holiday shopping at 6 weeks out~ Just listen to your body, it will tell you when you need rest. And stay on your pain meds, easing off as the doctor suggests. I always bought new pj's and slippers before any of my surgeries, so I could be comfy while recovering.
    I hope this helps, and any other questions I am happy to share my experience with. I am 3 years out from this surgery. Once in a while the muscle cramps or has a little spasm, but is nothing more than a little annoying.
    ~Melanie
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Teresa, is it true that you
    Teresa, is it true that you are thin, and have no 'fat' in your lower belly? Is that why you're choosing the latissimus dorsi flap?

I had the D.I.E.P flap transfer, and a full tummy tuck with it. A complete transfer, breast recreated with microvascular surgery, no removal of any muscle.

Questions, just ask.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    KathyLQ said:

Teresa, is it true that you
    Teresa, is it true that you are thin, and have no 'fat' in your lower belly? Is that why you're choosing the latissimus dorsi flap?

I had the D.I.E.P flap transfer, and a full tummy tuck with it. A complete transfer, breast recreated with microvascular surgery, no removal of any muscle.

Questions, just ask.

Can't speak for Teresa but my PS
    said there's less chance of failure and other complications with the L flap. A tram flap can be used if for some reason the L doesn't "take" but it's the shorter surgery with less blood loss and fewer complicaitons and infections. There are only a handful of surgeons who do the DIEP, most are L or T.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    skipper54 said:

said there's less chance of failure and other complications with the L flap. A tram flap can be used if for some reason the L doesn't "take" but it's the shorter surgery with less blood loss and fewer complicaitons and infections. There are only a handful of surgeons who do the DIEP, most are L or T.

thank
    thank you for the information,i cant have the tram flap i dont have enough belly for it but im not thin at all and i never have been.

thank you ladies!

teresa
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    skipper54 said:

If your PS said there is
    If your PS said there is less chance of failure, he probably doesn't do DIEP and he wants business his way.
    I did extensive research and realized the DIEP flap transfer was the best. Yes, it has to be done by experienced doctors and usually two as a team is better. I had a team, it reduced my surgery time from around 10 hours to around 4-5.
    I met a PS once who had quit doing DIEP, and all he advocated was to kind where they transferred muscle. He realized I wasn't going to go his method. I asked him why he quit doing DIEP, and it was because he had no partner surgeon to back him up, and the surgery was too long to go without a backup.
    If I had it to do again, I'd definitely pick DIEP. Every woman I've talked to who has had DIEP is happy with it.
    I had no complications with the DIEP, in fact, it seemed to heal the fastest. My follow up lift on the other breast has had more complications. My tummy tuck was harder to heal.
    I actually switched my surgeons from the University of Washington Medical Center to San Francisco. In both cases, my surgeons were trained at the Medical Centers where they teach DIEP. My surgeons knew each other, that I was very pleased to know.
    And I wish everyone the best with the choices they make. It is individual, we all know.