Post op dining out

JimboC
JimboC Member Posts: 264
My wife and I were traveling today and I had a good experience I thought I'd share. Usually when I eat out, I just order the smallest meal I can find on the menu and either pack out the leftovers or let them pitch them. Today we stopped at a Cracker barrel and I noticed the kids menu said for kids of all ages. I asked the server if I could order from the kids menu and she said sure. Even ordering from the kids menu, almost half of my meal went uneaten but it was nice getting it cheaper. The server even commented that I hadn't eaten much so I told her I had gastric surgery.

Comments

• Heeran
    Heeran Member Posts: 171
    That's funny
    Congrats on finishing up your 3rd post op chemo. Pray for great Pet results next week. At least you'll be saving some money when you eat out from the children's menu. Hope my mom gets the same chance. we'll find out in 6 weeks if she's a candidate for surgery.
    Heeran
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Some surgeons provide a card that requests "kids menu"
    Jimbo,

Some surgeons provide a card to their EC patients that describes the surgery and requests the business allow us to order from the "kids menu". I have certainly done that before. The other thing I do sometimes is to order from the appetizer menu. In certain restaurants like Chili's, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden the appetizers can be a meal in themselves.

It is always an interesting experience to explain an esophagectomy with gastric pull up to someone.

Eating out is always an adventure :)

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Some surgeons provide a card that requests "kids menu"
    Jimbo,

Some surgeons provide a card to their EC patients that describes the surgery and requests the business allow us to order from the "kids menu". I have certainly done that before. The other thing I do sometimes is to order from the appetizer menu. In certain restaurants like Chili's, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden the appetizers can be a meal in themselves.

It is always an interesting experience to explain an esophagectomy with gastric pull up to someone.

Eating out is always an adventure :)

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • bingbing2009
    bingbing2009 Member Posts: 177
    Sharing a Meal
    I wasn't aware of surgeons providing a card requesting the kids menu as Paul posted, but that's a great idea.

My hubby and I usually order one meal and split it. Sometimes we do like Paul said and order from the appetizer selections. We love to eat out and do so regularly, so we've pretty much learned how to make adaptations that work for us.

Melinda