Endoscopic Ultrasound Before Surgery

Heeran
Heeran Member Posts: 171
Does anyone know when the endoscopic ultrasound should be done prior to surgery? My mom's last day of Chemo is Oct. 26th and last day of radiation is Oct. 28th. Pet scan is ordered for Nov. 25th (4 weeks later). Oncologist this morning stated she'll do an endoscopic ultrasound right before surgery (if she's a candidate)like the 6th week. Later in the afternoon, I spoke with Chuck, Dr. Luketich's PA and he stated he wants that he wants her to do the endoscopic ultrasound around the 4th week. Before I could clear that up, my cell phone died. I'm concerned about out of state surgery but Chuck said he will fit my mom in. I'm worried about flights being cancelled, too much snow on the ground, pretty much anything that will prevent us from getting there. After talking to him, I'm convinced that Dr. Luketich is the way to go.

Comments

• chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    MY TWO CENTS...
    Heeran,
    I would think they want to do it right before surgery as you were told, as they would want to see how much the tumor has shrunk before going in. This from someone who has done neither chemo or is a candidate for surgery, so please do wait and read other responses from Terry and William and many many others who actually have the experience of what they went through.
    I am sharing what I remember, and what makes sens from that.

Hope this helps make sense, and I too am awaiting other replies.

God bless and glad things are moving forward.
    Dr. Luketech is THE way to go no matter WHAT. From watching the boards and survivors now for four months, it seems he is a godsend for anyone with EC and those who have him for surgery are blessed indeed.
    I also can only imagine the stress of waiting and worrying about all the things that COULD go wrong, but please remember, if you have one foot in tomorrow, and one foot in yesterday, you are going to S#*T on today! OK? Leave a few days early, plan for snow and cancellations and any other possibilities. Have these built-in to your plans, then you shouldn't need to worry!!

God bless and keep us posted too.
    -Eric
  • Heeran
    Heeran Member Posts: 171

MY TWO CENTS...
    Heeran,
    I would think they want to do it right before surgery as you were told, as they would want to see how much the tumor has shrunk before going in. This from someone who has done neither chemo or is a candidate for surgery, so please do wait and read other responses from Terry and William and many many others who actually have the experience of what they went through.
    I am sharing what I remember, and what makes sens from that.

Hope this helps make sense, and I too am awaiting other replies.

God bless and glad things are moving forward.
    Dr. Luketech is THE way to go no matter WHAT. From watching the boards and survivors now for four months, it seems he is a godsend for anyone with EC and those who have him for surgery are blessed indeed.
    I also can only imagine the stress of waiting and worrying about all the things that COULD go wrong, but please remember, if you have one foot in tomorrow, and one foot in yesterday, you are going to S#*T on today! OK? Leave a few days early, plan for snow and cancellations and any other possibilities. Have these built-in to your plans, then you shouldn't need to worry!!

God bless and keep us posted too.
    -Eric

Eric you're awesome
    I always love what you have say. We're so lucky to have you on this site.
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    I wish I had your answer, Heeran....
    Nick had only 1 EUS and that was done in mid-June to stage his cancer. That was immediately followed by a PET. Then his 6 weeks of rads & 2 of chemo. Followed by another PET about 1 month after the end of rads & chemo. He has not had a 2nd EUS.

I'm in full agreement with Eric though. With all the wonderful things I've heard about Dr. L and staff, allow yourselves the time for flight & weather screw ups. This is too important to miss a date because of weather.

And if your mom is up to it following her treatment and before surgery - enjoy Hawaii! Life is about *Living*, not regretting.

Prayers, hugs, & wishing you calm,

Terry
  • flmo
    flmo Member Posts: 65
    Please don't worry about the weather.
    Dr. Luketich's office will probably want you to arrive in Pittsburgh a couple of days early to allow for any travel delays due to weather. That's what they did when my husband and I went there in Feb. for his surgery. It allowed us a little breathing room so we didn't have to worry about missing his surgery. Chuck is a wonderful resource. He is so reassuring and very knowledgable about MIE. Best of luck in your decision for you mother.