diagnosed 10/7/2011

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

lumpectomy question
    did the lumpectomy cause disfiguration? I am small breasted and I wonder about that. Thank you so much for your reply. All of the replies have been wonderful and helpful. I don't feel as alone. I've been so weepy the last couple weeks, and it comes when I'm not expecting it. My mind seems to wander off at times, focus is a problem. I'm a positive person and I know that this is just another speed bump. How long does it take before that feeling goes away?

The lumpectomy didn't cause
    The lumpectomy didn't cause any disfiguration for me. That breast is a lot smaller though. The scar is a half moon line around my nipple. I did have 17 nodes removed so I also have a scar under my armpit, but it is barely visable (2 years now). I have an indent under my arm that's all.

Welcome to a wonderful site and like all the other ladies said, we are all different with different treatment options. Whatever you choose will be right for you. As far as being weepy, don't worry about that because that's just part of the process. From my experience, I can still get weepy but it doesn't last very long at this point. I ran the whole range of emotions and just let yourself feel them and then move on. I was angry sometimes, sad, happy, and for the most part very positive too, but those sneaky moments of tears will come on bad days.

This site will be invaluable for any questions or support that you need. You can even vent here! :)
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

similar story and welcome :)
    Hello and I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with this :( im glad you found this website though - it holds a wealth of information and support for you, and we're a pretty phenomenal group of people!
    I was 34 last year at diagnosis. My advice to you would be to discuss your options with your surgeon, consult an oncologist, and a plastic surgeon. I took 2 weeks after my diagnosis to read, research, and meet with these doctors and it really helped me to make my decision to have a bilateral mastectomy (i only had cancer in my right breast), with reconstruction. I have not had one regret with my choice.
    Chemo - it plain sucks. It IS do-able though. And they have really good meds that prevent nausea and vomiting, and most side effects can be managed with meds. I was also told that I would need chemo because of my age. I wont say that one surgery is better than the other, but ill share why I chose mastectomy.
    -because of being younger, my cancer was more aggressive, and my chances of it returning in the same breast, and getting it in the other breast, in the future, was very high. 60-80% chance in MY case of a recurrence per my oncologist. To me, those are high numbers. So it gave me peace of mind having them both gone. Also, I didn't want to have to go through radiation every day for 5-6 weeks. And cosmetically, I would have a better look if I had both breasts removed and replaced with silicone implants. Im extrmely happy with my breast reconstruction. I know that I could still have a recurrence along my scar or on my chest wall, but just having them both gone just eases my mind. Radical, yes. But then again so was the idea of me, a 34 year old mother of two, even getting cancer in the first place. And for me, it's all about being here for them well into their adulthood and beyond.
    Best of luck to you, dear sister, and please know that you can count on us anytime to lend you our support and love and experiences.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Welcome aboard!
    This is a great group of women (& men) who will support you all along the way and answer any questions you have. I can't speak to the lumpectomy question 'cause I opted for teh mastectomy after chemo. Just wanted to be rid of the beast if at all possible. Even though the PET scan was clear I still did the rads too. It's such a personal decision! Go with your gut!

Sending prayers and {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
  • iluvmykids
    iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
    So sorry to hear about your
    So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm glad you found this site, these wonderful ladies can really help when you need it. I was diagnosed 5/2011 at 50 and had a lumpectomy with two nodes removed. I was stage 1 grade 1 with clear nodes, they also got clear margins around the tumor. I had the oncotype test done, my score was 20, which is the low end of the grey area, so I opted for no chemo and am currently on the last 3 of my radiation treatments. I, like some could not imagine having a mastectomy - and the surgeon told us, the survival rate is the same for either. I too have small breasts, and one has always been smaller than the other, now it's a little more smaller, but other than the half moon scar and right now radiation pink, it looks normal. If you go through radiation, having smaller breasts will be a blessing.

You will have so much more information about your cancer after your surgery, and I can only repeat what everyone else has said, get as much information as possible, ALWAYS take someone with you to all appts discussing your options, sometimes they hear things you don't and also ask questions you don't think of. It is ALOT to take in, and can overwhelm you at times - but hang in there we are all here for venting and support.

Will be praying for you.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

lumpectomy question
    did the lumpectomy cause disfiguration? I am small breasted and I wonder about that. Thank you so much for your reply. All of the replies have been wonderful and helpful. I don't feel as alone. I've been so weepy the last couple weeks, and it comes when I'm not expecting it. My mind seems to wander off at times, focus is a problem. I'm a positive person and I know that this is just another speed bump. How long does it take before that feeling goes away?

My lumpectomy has not caused
    My lumpectomy has not caused any disfiguration. Right now the affected breast is a bit larger than the normal breast due to some lymphedema. I have a scar above my nipple which is not visible to anyone. Like Wanda I have an indent and scar under my arm due to lymph node removal but that is also only apparent to me.

Being weepy is normal. I'm also a positive person and a fighter who rarely cried before my DX. Tears come quicker and easier now, but tears are good. They cleanse our mind and our heart. These boards were my suport system thru treatment and continue to be a support. Yu have found a great place for your concerns and emotional support.
  • LynnKT
    LynnKT Member Posts: 47

So sorry to hear about your
    So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm glad you found this site, these wonderful ladies can really help when you need it. I was diagnosed 5/2011 at 50 and had a lumpectomy with two nodes removed. I was stage 1 grade 1 with clear nodes, they also got clear margins around the tumor. I had the oncotype test done, my score was 20, which is the low end of the grey area, so I opted for no chemo and am currently on the last 3 of my radiation treatments. I, like some could not imagine having a mastectomy - and the surgeon told us, the survival rate is the same for either. I too have small breasts, and one has always been smaller than the other, now it's a little more smaller, but other than the half moon scar and right now radiation pink, it looks normal. If you go through radiation, having smaller breasts will be a blessing.

You will have so much more information about your cancer after your surgery, and I can only repeat what everyone else has said, get as much information as possible, ALWAYS take someone with you to all appts discussing your options, sometimes they hear things you don't and also ask questions you don't think of. It is ALOT to take in, and can overwhelm you at times - but hang in there we are all here for venting and support.

Will be praying for you.

You will get through this
    You will get through this and be stronger for it! I was also diagnosed on October 7th, but my diagnosis was in 2009. I chose mastectomy because my breast was small and the tumor was invasive. That was right for me. I also had to have chemo and then radiation. The effects of chemo were manageable, and the radiation was totally do-able. God and my supportive family and friends successfully saw me through it all. Next week, I will get my new silicone implants put in. I pray that you will get through this ordeal victoriously. I really believe that the time early on in one's diagnosis is the most difficult. The more information you have, the better you will be equipped to tackle this disease.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    LynnKT said:

You will get through this
    You will get through this and be stronger for it! I was also diagnosed on October 7th, but my diagnosis was in 2009. I chose mastectomy because my breast was small and the tumor was invasive. That was right for me. I also had to have chemo and then radiation. The effects of chemo were manageable, and the radiation was totally do-able. God and my supportive family and friends successfully saw me through it all. Next week, I will get my new silicone implants put in. I pray that you will get through this ordeal victoriously. I really believe that the time early on in one's diagnosis is the most difficult. The more information you have, the better you will be equipped to tackle this disease.

no advise
    I have no advise for you about surgery, but just wanted to pop in and wish you the best.
    Marsha
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

lumpectomy question

My lumpectomy didn't cause
    My lumpectomy didn't cause any disfigurement, but, every one is different. Our tumors are different sizes, different places, different surgeons etc. Only your breast surgeon can really answer your question, so, be sure and ask.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you do.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    lumpectomy
    Lumpectomy at age 55 with triple negative bc (one of the more aggressive types). I was stage 2 and had two positive lymph nodes. 8 rounds of chemo, 4 of one drug and 4 of another drug. I am now about 1/3 of the way through radiation.

I became less scared when I got educated on this unfortunate suprise. There are some movies you can watch that on the other half of this website under cancer information. Choose breast cancer and if I remember correctly you have to scroll down the page a bit to find them.
  • mnmamasues
    mnmamasues Member Posts: 2

Thank you so much for
    Thank you so much for replying. I'm so afraid of that outcome at the surgery. That it will be in the lymphnodes. What was your original diagnosis before surgery? Did you look the same after the lumpectomy? I am small breasted and I'm worried that when they remove the tissue, I will be disfigured. The surgeon leaned more towards the mastectomy, the oncologist said the lumpectomy was fine. She said it didn't change my chances for other cancers occuring or even for the potential of another occurence of breast cancer. They are both top in their field. It is confusing. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon and I'm having a breast MRI for a better picture of what we're looking at in terms of the possibility of additional tumor sites.

Everyone is different. For
    Everyone is different. For me they found a small tumor located on the back side of my breast, more toward under the arm. It was caught early and thought no chemo would be needed, but since it had moved into the lymphnodes they recommended it. I can hardly tell where they removed the tissue, but your Dr can assess your situation best. Huggs, Sue
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

welcome sorry we had to meet
    welcome sorry we had to meet but glad you found us. We will be here for any questions concerns, rides on the pink bus etc...
    DW love your pic!

I'm so sorry that you have
    I'm so sorry that you have bc and that you have to go thru any kind of treatment. Please know that I am praying for you and will help you however I can.

Hugs, Angie
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108
    We will be praying for you to have comfort in trying to decide.
    I knew from the time I felt my tumor that I was going to have a lumpectomy and as long as I didn’t have to go through Chemo, I would be just fine(how silly was that?). Unfortunately I have been way too familiar with Breast Cancer. Several family members have had it. My breast friend, from the time we were 7 years old was diagnosed 5 years before me and I had been by her side all the way through it. I have great doctors; my surgeon and onco are great. When I went to see my surgeon I went alone, she took notes for me. She agreed for the moment that a lumpectomy would be fine. She wanted a MRI done first and then we would schedule the surgery; the lymph nodes would be the final decision maker on the Chemo. When I woke up after surgery , I was devastated when my family told me it was in my lymph nodes I knew than I would have to have Chemo. Then the bomb dropped, on the PET scan a tiny spot showed up on my lungs. The doctor told me that I would not be having Chemo if was in my lungs. A biopsy was scheduled. Through the grace of God it was Negative! Wow, was I then happy to be having Chem.! How Blessed I am to trust all my doctors, I have a wonderful family and through all the prayers and my faith in God, he showed me the way, even if I was hard headed excepting it, I was confident in our decision.

So please make sure you have a medical team that you are comfortable with and listens to you. I am so glad you have found the pink Sisters on this site, they will help you every step of the way. Wish I found them sooner. I read the site for months before I ever posted anything. If you think you don’t have the support you need, all you have to do is SIGN ON!

In God we Trust,
    Nana
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    Welcome to this site. I
    Welcome to this site. I know everything seems overwhelming to you right now. It is a journey none of us signed up for.
    I was diagnoses in January at the age of 39. I have triple negative breast cancer, stage 2 no lymph node involvement. My tumor was fairly large, 2.5 centimeters and seemed to pop up over night. I was also given the option of mastectomy or lumpectomy. I have large breast and the surgeon said if they were smaller I would not have had the lumpectomy option, because the tumor was large. My breast is not disfigured. He took a little tissue from a different part of my breast and filled in where the tumor was. The breast is a little smaller than the other, but is not noticeable with a bra on. A second opinion might be a good idea. I got one and it made me more confident about my decision.
    I know chemo is a word you do not want to hear. I was also told, because of my age, I would probably need chemo. Breast cancer seems to be more aggressive in younger women. Chemo was not as bad as I anticipated.
    Good Luck
  • Dwwilburn
    Dwwilburn Member Posts: 19
    My two cents
    I was diagnosed a year ago. From the statistics, my breast surgeon thought lumpectomies were as successful as mastectomies. She did a nice job and the right side is justbslightly smaller. But she perked it up a little and I wish she had perked up the left side to match! I am 47 and I decided to do chemo and rad. I wanted to do everything I could to kill the cancer. Chemo sucks, but you get through it. Hair loss sucks, but go with it. I had some crazy wigs and hats. Take care of you and pamper you! My husband said just forget everything and take this one year and give it all you got!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Everyone is different. For
    Everyone is different. For me they found a small tumor located on the back side of my breast, more toward under the arm. It was caught early and thought no chemo would be needed, but since it had moved into the lymphnodes they recommended it. I can hardly tell where they removed the tissue, but your Dr can assess your situation best. Huggs, Sue

I was fortunate that I
    I was fortunate that I didn't need chemo, just rads after my surgery. I know if you do have to do chemo that you will be doing all that you can to kill those awful cancer cells.

Good luck to you and welcome to the site!

Megan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Dwwilburn said:

My two cents
    I was diagnosed a year ago. From the statistics, my breast surgeon thought lumpectomies were as successful as mastectomies. She did a nice job and the right side is justbslightly smaller. But she perked it up a little and I wish she had perked up the left side to match! I am 47 and I decided to do chemo and rad. I wanted to do everything I could to kill the cancer. Chemo sucks, but you get through it. Hair loss sucks, but go with it. I had some crazy wigs and hats. Take care of you and pamper you! My husband said just forget everything and take this one year and give it all you got!

Welcome to our Sisterhood, our FIERCE WARRIORS ..
    also with all the questions circling your world regarding your breast cancer -- please go to the library or purchase .. Dr. Susan Love's - Breast Cancer book .. arm yourself with information -- before your next appointment.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • csuzanne
    csuzanne Member Posts: 17
    diagnosed 6/9/11
    i was told the next day that i had to have a mastectomy because there were two lumps, and i am a b-...so there wasn't a whole lot to work with. i'm taking tamoxifen for the next 4 years 9 months, but had no radiation. thankfully, the lymph nodes were clear. i will have reconstruction (bi-lateral with a tummy tuck for the extra skin) on 12/5. (i'm waiting due to my jobs' holiday/vacation schedule) the mastectomy was scarey, i won't lie. but it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be! the drain was the worst, and my husband took care of that most days. i took percocet the first couple of days, but tylenol worked afterwards. i was out for a week and part time for a week, but i was very slow moving for awhile. i'm told this surgery will be harder - no driving for 6 weeks!
    good luck to you, and know that YOU CAN DO THIS!! my motto: it is what it is, and i plan to be around to see my great-grandchildren (i have one grandson)! (you see, i lost my son almost 25 years ago...thought that would kill me, but it didn't. so, i've already been to hell and back a few times - i can do this!)
    Suzanne
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    So you've had no surgery
    So you've had no surgery yet? I would ask how a doctor can prescribe chemo without knowing the grade of the tumor. Unless of course the chemo is to reduce the size of the tumor. I am sorry this is happening to you. I have just been diagnosed. I am stage IIa, invasive papillary carcinoma, clear nodes, Ki-67 HIGH . The tumor was removed a month ago and I just saw my oncologist yesterday. I thought I would need radiation and hormone therapy ONLY. Boy was I wrong. I will need more surgery, chemo, radiation and hormone therapy. My world is spinning out of control but I will do what I have to do to survive.

I am writing because I don't understand why you are considering surgery options while at the same time saying you need chemo.

Good luck. I hope you are comfortable with the doctors you have. Second opinions are great. AND ... I am finding so much inspiration from the ladies and men who have been down this road.

Be well
    Mary
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    natly15 said:

Welcome to the boards. You
    Welcome to the boards. You will find inspiration and information here. This site is a wonderful support. I was 66 when diagnosed with Stage 2 IDC (invasive ductal cacinoma). One thing you will find is that we are all so very different and what works for one may not work for another. I had a lumpectomy, 8 rounds of chemo and 33 radiation treatments. My surgeon and a few other Onc's advised against mastectomy for me, but as I said we are all so different. To be sure I was making the right decision for me I got a 2nd opinion. Remember this is your body and you can choose what to do based on the professional information presented to you. Many women my age had the mastectomy but so much depends on the Stage of your BC and you personally. Not everyone has chemo. If you are fortunate enough to catch it early sometimes all you need is surgery and radiation. Keep an open mind, take an extra person with you to your doctor's appointments so they can hear what you miss hearing from the doctors.

This is an emotional and sometimes overwhelming time. There is so much info to gather and our heads are in a swirl just hearing that we have BC. Remember that whatever treatment you need, you WILL get thru this just as we have. Keep your chin up. You now have joined the army of 'pinks". The army we would never have chosen, but we learn to "fight like a girl".

I was very glad that I could
    I was very glad that I could have a lumpectomy and not a mastectomy. The breast surgeon got clear margins with the surgery and I then had rad treatments.

I got really tired from the rads, but once they are done, you will start to regain your energy. I didn't burn, but, came close. My rads oncologist gave me great creams to use which worked for me.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Hugs, Leeza
  • csuzanne
    csuzanne Member Posts: 17
    MsGebby said:

So you've had no surgery
    So you've had no surgery yet? I would ask how a doctor can prescribe chemo without knowing the grade of the tumor. Unless of course the chemo is to reduce the size of the tumor. I am sorry this is happening to you. I have just been diagnosed. I am stage IIa, invasive papillary carcinoma, clear nodes, Ki-67 HIGH . The tumor was removed a month ago and I just saw my oncologist yesterday. I thought I would need radiation and hormone therapy ONLY. Boy was I wrong. I will need more surgery, chemo, radiation and hormone therapy. My world is spinning out of control but I will do what I have to do to survive.

I am writing because I don't understand why you are considering surgery options while at the same time saying you need chemo.

Good luck. I hope you are comfortable with the doctors you have. Second opinions are great. AND ... I am finding so much inspiration from the ladies and men who have been down this road.

Be well
    Mary

Sorry to be so confusing!
    Sorry to be so confusing! What's in my mind doesn't always come out right through my fingers! I've heard it called "chemo brain", but I'm not sure if that's what it is with me!
    I had a right mastectomy 6/15, and will have a bilateral with a tummy tuck next month. I'm on the chemo drug to make sure nothing else pops up!
    I LOVE my doctors, and I did have a 2nd and 3rd opinion. With me being small-busted, they all agreed that I would look very disfigured if they did a lumpectomy because of the lump at my chest wall.
    I've only been on a few days, but I agree, the women here are wonderful!
    Good luck Mary, and know that you can do this! We're stronger than we give ourselves credit for!
    Suzanne
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    VickiSam said:

Welcome to our Sisterhood, our FIERCE WARRIORS ..
    also with all the questions circling your world regarding your breast cancer -- please go to the library or purchase .. Dr. Susan Love's - Breast Cancer book .. arm yourself with information -- before your next appointment.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Thanks, I will.

Thanks, I will.