Heel Pain - Anyone else?

Kiantae
Kiantae Member Posts: 29
I have been having heel pain for over a year now and curious if anyone else has had a similar issue. I started Femara last year and experienced joint pain, so I was switched to Arimidex. Shortly after starting Arimidex, I started experiencing severe foot pain mostly in my arch and heel. I tried various heel, cushions, inserts etc., nothing really helped. I was then changed to Aromosin and did not tolerate that very well. I am now back to Femara and am tolerating it better than the first time. My Vitamin D was low the first time, so that may have contributed to the joint pain. I have been to a podiatrist who prescribed a hard arch support insert which helped with the arch pain, but not the heel. She also prescribed naproxen for the pain. It has helped some, but has not gotten rid of the main issue and it has caused some other issues. She now says that my heel bones themselves are inflammed and the solution is surgery. I have gained weight through the treatments but not more than I have been in the past and did not experience heel pain. Every day is painful and I find myself planning my day around how much walking I can avoid. I am considering going to a different podiatrist, it seems like there should be another option. Kind of venting here, just was not sure if I was alone or not. I would like to not have to make my daily decisions on how much walking is involved.

Comments

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Heel pain
    Sounds like a heel spur. Had this something like a year where my right heel was quite painful to walk on. Though not officially diagnosed looked it up and several people told me they had it and to roll the foot backwards and forwards on getting out of bed and once or twice more a day, on a tube or golf ball. I used a rolling pin. Plus do the stretching exercise often done before working out one foot in front of the other and squat, knees bent. Not had it for some weeks now, before it was every day. No harm in trying this out, no charge. Others have had injections.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    heel pain
    I can certainly sympathize with the heel pain, as I have had numerous
    foot issues over the years. I would agree with the above poster that
    the issue might be a heel spur, if the pain is not in the back of the heel.
    I have had shots to ease the pain there & they were helpful. However,
    most docs do not want to give more than 3 shots in the same area.

I would definitely consult another podiatrist--jumping into surgery
    should not be the first step. I have had good luck with sports medicin
    podiatrists--they seem to want to get patients out & moving normally.
    If a certain type of shoe is recommended, be sure to follow that
    recommendation. However, if it does come to surgery,
    I have had acquaintances who had the surgery & it was certainly doable.

Good luck in overcoming this problem!
  • Kiantae
    Thanks for the replies. I
    Thanks for the replies. I had an xray for heel spurs and it came up negative. I will try the exercises though and a new podiatrist. It seems like it is always one thing or another, but I guess it is better than the alternative.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Kiantae said:

Thanks for the replies. I
    Thanks for the replies. I had an xray for heel spurs and it came up negative. I will try the exercises though and a new podiatrist. It seems like it is always one thing or another, but I guess it is better than the alternative.

Kiantae
    I think it's the femara,you can look back at some older post about femara causing this. I'm on it and my heels kill me when i first get up or after I've set to long, joint pain is really bad also. your podiatrist sounds like she wants to get in on the money wagon. hope you find some relief because i haven't I've been on neurotin and lyrica and i stopped taking both because they were not doing me any good so i just deal with it. HUGS MOLLYZ
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I have heel pain and I am
    I have heel pain and I am sure it is from the Arimidex. Unlike your pain, once I get going, it subsides. I take ibuprofen daily to deal with all the joint SEs. xoxoxo Lyn
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I had foot pain like this
    I had foot pain like this when I was on Arimedex. It didn't stop till I stopped Arimedex. But the femara for me was worse ( insomnia and diarrhea ). I will be trying Aromasin next. Keeping my fingers crossed. I know what you mean by planning out how much walking you have to do. I read on here ( I forget who posted it ) about Vit-D 50,000 units a couple times a week some times helps with the pain from these drug side effects. I will be asking my Dr about this next time I see her on the 24Th. Hope your pain goes away soon.
    Take care Kay,
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow funny you posted this...
    I thought I had posted (started one for heel pain) or was going to..hehe..anyhow each time I stand up my heals are tender/ sore...I have been on TAmoxifen for just over 3 1/2 yrs...I go to the onolcogist next week..(my dr out on maturnity so I'll be seeing someone new) So I put in my phone alarm to remind me while there to ASK her about heels..

Denise
  • Kiantae

wow funny you posted this...
    I thought I had posted (started one for heel pain) or was going to..hehe..anyhow each time I stand up my heals are tender/ sore...I have been on TAmoxifen for just over 3 1/2 yrs...I go to the onolcogist next week..(my dr out on maturnity so I'll be seeing someone new) So I put in my phone alarm to remind me while there to ASK her about heels..

Denise

My oncologist does not think
    My oncologist does not think the heel pain has anything to do with Arimidex, but I also had joint pain in both wrists. I could not lift a frying pan because I could not support the weight. When I went off Arimidex, the wrist pain went away. My doctor didn't think the wrist issues had anything to do with Arimidex either. I think there are certain side effects that are not as common so they are sometimes dismissed. I also think I went too long with the heel pain so now my side effect has a side effect. My feet have not been able to heal as walking is a constant irritant. The fact that I am overweight does not help the situation. I know I need to lose weight, but that is a challenge in itself.

Good Luck with your appointment.
  • nansk
    nansk Member Posts: 4
    Heel Pain
    Wow! I am new to this site and I am sad to see that I am not the only one experiencing this pain. I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. No problem. Then started Arimidex. If i knelt down, I couldnt get up. Always hurt. Awful! So I am now into my 2nd year on Femera, and have had terrible heel pain for at least that long. Ive done it all, but surgery. Interestingly enuf, last week I asked my onco if the Femera was contributing to the problem and he said it would target bone, not ligaments or tendons. Kiantae, I have been to 4, yes 4, podiatrists. I have Plantar Fascitis/heel spur. When the last dr did a sonogram ( I trust him) he said my reading was a 9.7 - normal is b/w a 1 and 2. I did a procedure called ESWT. Look into it. It has helped. And ice, ice, ice!!! Like you, I have stopped my boot camp, and on some days cant walk my dogs. I would definately go to a different dr. before you have other issues with this or your other foot from compensation, altered gait, etc. Thats what happened to me. My Vitamin D is very low too, and I dont know if that contributes. If anyone has low Vit D, can you tell me how much Vit D you are taking daily? Ive heard anywhere from 2000 to 30,000 units a day.
    Thanks!
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Kiantae said:

My oncologist does not think
    My oncologist does not think the heel pain has anything to do with Arimidex, but I also had joint pain in both wrists. I could not lift a frying pan because I could not support the weight. When I went off Arimidex, the wrist pain went away. My doctor didn't think the wrist issues had anything to do with Arimidex either. I think there are certain side effects that are not as common so they are sometimes dismissed. I also think I went too long with the heel pain so now my side effect has a side effect. My feet have not been able to heal as walking is a constant irritant. The fact that I am overweight does not help the situation. I know I need to lose weight, but that is a challenge in itself.

Good Luck with your appointment.

Plantar fasciitis - Maybe?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508/METHOD=print

Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) involves pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes. Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain.

Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Plantar fasciitis is particularly common in runners. In addition, people who are overweight, women who are pregnant and those who wear shoes with inadequate support are at risk of plantar fasciitis.
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    SIROD said:

Plantar fasciitis - Maybe?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508/METHOD=print

Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) involves pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes. Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain.

Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Plantar fasciitis is particularly common in runners. In addition, people who are overweight, women who are pregnant and those who wear shoes with inadequate support are at risk of plantar fasciitis.

I've been experiencing heel
    I've been experiencing heel pain and I'm on Tamoxifen. Both heels hurt a lot and I thought it might be Palntar fasciitis, but my primary doctor thinks it's something else because it hurts more if I wear shoes that DON'T have support. I still think it's plantar fasciitis because it hurts a LOT when I get up in the morning (can hardly walk) and after sitting for a while, but after I've walked around for a bit, it usually feels better.
  • disneyfan2008
    canoegirl said:

I've been experiencing heel
    I've been experiencing heel pain and I'm on Tamoxifen. Both heels hurt a lot and I thought it might be Palntar fasciitis, but my primary doctor thinks it's something else because it hurts more if I wear shoes that DON'T have support. I still think it's plantar fasciitis because it hurts a LOT when I get up in the morning (can hardly walk) and after sitting for a while, but after I've walked around for a bit, it usually feels better.

My daughter suggested Paintar fascitilitis
    I thought in the summer it was due to flip flops daily...but since back to work clothes/ shoes etc..still the same...I actually soaked my feet last night which i never do..I am thinking pedi since soak feet and nice FOOT massage...

Denise

I go to oncologist next week..I'll ask..(mine is out on maternity leave so I'll get opinoion of this dr)
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    It's a side effect
    Heel pain in right foot started 4 months (July) after being on Arimidex. At the time I did not think it was a side effect. I had a MRI of the foot in August or September and then had physical therapy. I did get better with physical therapy. I stopped Arimidex at the beginning of November. In January, I went on Anastrozole (generic Arimidex). By February, the pain came back in right heel. Ended up taking physical therapy again. Stopped Anastrozole at the beginning of April.

I do believe the heel pain was a side effect, even though the doctors did not think of it. Doing physical therapy and being off the drugs, heel is fine.

Surgery is serious.

With everything we do or take, it carries a consequence.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I can sympathize with you on
    I can sympathize with you on the heal pain. I started on Arimidex in Jan, I had sever foot pain only on the bottom of my feet. It was so bad that I could hardly walk at times. My Dr switched me to famara and the foot pain stopped completely. But the famara caused insomnia. Can't win for loosing LOL. So now I am on a break and then going to try Aromasin. I sure hope that is better for me. Other wise I guess I will have to take Arimidex, and some thing for pain. I really didn't want to do that. I don't like adding more drugs to take. I HATE CANCER.....
  • Kiantae
    Plantar Fasciitis
    My podiatrist did diagnose me with PF. She prescribed the inserts that have a rigid sole. It has a formed arch that provides support. One brand is Powerstep Pinnacle. That did help with the arch pain, but the heel pain still exists. That is when the podiatrist said the PF was fixed but my bone itself was inflamed and needed surgery. I still need to make an appt with a new podiatrist. Although I am sorry that others are experiencing pain, I feel validated there is a link with the medications. Thanks ladies.
  • disneyfan2008
    Kiantae said:

Plantar Fasciitis
    My podiatrist did diagnose me with PF. She prescribed the inserts that have a rigid sole. It has a formed arch that provides support. One brand is Powerstep Pinnacle. That did help with the arch pain, but the heel pain still exists. That is when the podiatrist said the PF was fixed but my bone itself was inflamed and needed surgery. I still need to make an appt with a new podiatrist. Although I am sorry that others are experiencing pain, I feel validated there is a link with the medications. Thanks ladies.

while at the oncologist yesterday I asked about heel pain
    She said most likely Plantar Fascilitis...I think i'll try gel inserts prior to foot dr appt...

Denise