Question about CT scans

NikiMo
NikiMo Member Posts: 342
edited October 2011 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi all,

Jeff started chemo today and we were given the results of his CT scan from October 5th, and when I say given I mean handed to me on paper. The oncologist said Jeff looks great everything is perfect, any concerns? I said so the CT looks good, and he shook his head and said yes it is good. Fantastic! I then read the report after we leave and are waiting for the chemo to begin. It was a chest, abdomen, and pelvis CT. I read the abdomen and pelvis part first, everything was listed as normal all of the organs and no nodes looking weird and it said "No evidence of metastatic disease". Then I read the chest part, here is where my concern is. Of course Jeff just had major surgery so there are things like abdomen wall irregular: probably due to chest tube placement ; so on and so forth about the different things from the surgery. But, it also mentions something about his lung...now the pre-op scan also said the same thing and no one seemed concerned since they went forward with the surgery, they had said it could be because of the radiation. I plan on talking to the oncologist on our next chemo visit as to why this doesn't concern him. From what I understand the radiologist will note any irregularity but leaves the decision of care up to the oncologist.

Here is my question...for all of you that have received NED scans were there ever any strange things of interest in the scan that the oncologist was not worried about? I mean has the CT pointed out something in a lung that could be pneumonia or infection and the oncologist has said the scan is clear?

Thanks

Niki

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    My CT scans frequently mention other irregularities
    Niki,

I have been fortunate enough to received three "NED" CT scans, but they all mention "plural thickening" in the chest area, and they also mention two "cysts" next to my liver. I discussed these "irregularities" with my oncologist and he assures me that the "plural thickening" is from the surgery and the "cysts" are nothing to be concerned about.

Since I am 63 the radiologist also notes some "calcification" in some arteries and some evidence of inflammation that they attribute to early onset arthritis.

As you noted the radiologist lists every irregularity he finds and leaves it up to the physician that ordered the scan to decide what items of note require follow up.

Like you, the first time I had a scan, my oncologist said "Everything looks great!" and then I read the written report later and said "what is all this stuff?". He had no problem going through it with me though.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • NikiMo
    NikiMo Member Posts: 342
    paul61 said:

My CT scans frequently mention other irregularities
    Niki,

I have been fortunate enough to received three "NED" CT scans, but they all mention "plural thickening" in the chest area, and they also mention two "cysts" next to my liver. I discussed these "irregularities" with my oncologist and he assures me that the "plural thickening" is from the surgery and the "cysts" are nothing to be concerned about.

Since I am 63 the radiologist also notes some "calcification" in some arteries and some evidence of inflammation that they attribute to early onset arthritis.

As you noted the radiologist lists every irregularity he finds and leaves it up to the physician that ordered the scan to decide what items of note require follow up.

Like you, the first time I had a scan, my oncologist said "Everything looks great!" and then I read the written report later and said "what is all this stuff?". He had no problem going through it with me though.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Thanks for responding Paul
    Hi Paul,

I always look to you for guidance, thanks once again for responding. I am definitely going to ask the oncologist about the lungs. I did suspect that the radiologist was just noting every little thing they saw, as they should. I was surprised when before the operation the oncologist and the surgeon both breezed over the lung irregularity (they were more worried about two nodes). I guess I would be more concerned if one said 'everything is a ok" and the other said "hold the phone!". Our oncologist has told me several times that I am not a doctor that I look too closely into every detail and sometimes irregularities are just that. I would suspect that with my seasonal allergies my lungs wouldn't look so pretty right now either! I was just a little disappointed not to see a big red NED on the report somewhere..haha. I assumed that many folks maybe say they are NED because that is what the onc is saying even though there may be a few irregularities. I am going to say that Jeff is now NED since our doctor's haven't indicated otherwise....

Thanks again,

Niki
  • Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Radiologist
    Niki,
    I work in medical Imaging, yes the radiologist mention everything they see. If there were something to worry about they (doctors) would tell you. I sent you a PM.
    Thinking of
    You and Jeff
    Erica
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Ericalynn said:

Radiologist
    Niki,
    I work in medical Imaging, yes the radiologist mention everything they see. If there were something to worry about they (doctors) would tell you. I sent you a PM.
    Thinking of
    You and Jeff
    Erica

Thanks Niki
    for bringing up this subject. As usual, I learn so much here. I, too, had been concerned about a small lung nodule reported on a couple of scans Larry has had. The Oncologist never mentioned it in giving the results. Only after I read the whole report did I ask about it. She said reading the reports take some getting used to as a lot of non-relevant things are reported. I more or less believed her, but I did have a nagging worry that she was just placating me. So, I'm glad to see these posts and hear that it is a common thing. Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences!
    Angie