Coughing

Options
Barneygirl
Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
edited October 2011 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I have posted this before, but I still can't shake this cough I have. Did 5 rounds of radiation and started chemo 2 1/2 weeks ago-Carbo/Taxotere for a recurrence. I can't stop coughing. Is it the cancer or the treatments that cause this? It has me worried that it is in my lungs, although the PET/CT scan 6 weeks ago showed lymph nodes only.

Comments

• wlkdnose
    wlkdnose Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Where
    Where did you get radiation? It could be irritation/inflammation causing the cough. Ascites can cause a cough if it is irritating your diaphragm. My sister had a cough for over a month. She had xrays and showed nothing. It finally went away and they said it was probably just a viral respiratory thing.
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    Options
    wlkdnose said:

Where
    Where did you get radiation? It could be irritation/inflammation causing the cough. Ascites can cause a cough if it is irritating your diaphragm. My sister had a cough for over a month. She had xrays and showed nothing. It finally went away and they said it was probably just a viral respiratory thing.

I had radiation to the lymph
    I had radiation to the lymph nodes above my clavicle and I finished that treatment about a month ago.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    let your ONC know
    My ONC/chemo nurses etc. are always lecturing me to let them know when I experience anything like this. You might need an antibiotic to help you stay on track with your chemo. If it is caused by your chemo treatments, they need to know this also, so they can adjust the doseage. I know that we all automatically fear that every symptom is disease advancement but try to keep in mind what Carlene says..... Not everything is cancer.
    ((((HUGS)))))) Maria
  • Bluebird Bush
    Bluebird Bush Member Posts: 28
    Options
    cough
    Ditto to Maria's post - I was sick with cough I couldn't get rid of and doctors and I thought was lungs since I smoked for many years and gave myself emphysema. Finally put 2 & 2 together and discovered it was sinus infection that caused post-nasal drip that ran down into my lungs at night when I slept and caused cough that wouldn't let up. Remember too that some medications have side effect of cough.

Hope you get some relief and feel better soon. A constant cough is pretty miserable - Geni