Tamoxifen Cuts DCIS Deaths

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
"Multimodal DCIS Therapy, Tamoxifen Cuts Breast Cancer Deaths

Elsevier Global Medical News. 2011 Oct 5, N Osterweil

MIAMI BEACH (EGMN) - Adding radiotherapy and tamoxifen to breast-conserving surgery significantly reduces the local recurrence rate and the breast cancer-specific death rate in women with ductal carcinoma in situ, according to a systematic review and meta-analysis.

The review of 22 studies with a minimum of 10-year follow-up data showed that surgery plus radiation therapy nearly halved the rate of ipsilateral local recurrence from 23.5% with surgery alone to 13.5%, and the addition of tamoxifen cut the rate even further, to 9.2%."

See:

Multimodal DCIS Therapy, Tamoxifen Cuts Breast Cancer Deaths

http://www.oncologystat.com/news/Multimodal_DCIS_Therapy_Tamoxifen_Cuts_Breast_Cancer_Deaths_US.html

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Why Are They Not Given Protection?
    I don't understand, if they are ER or PR positive, why would they not be given protection? Tamoxifen can be given to those women diagnose before they are menopausal/postmenopausal. They can't take the others hormonal therapy without removing ovaries or having some sort of shot, but Tamo works differently.

Even Stage 0 can morphed to other stages and even IV, why not give them the protection from the onset?

Hard to believe they wouldn't in this day and age, isn't Cynthia?

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    SIROD said:

Why Are They Not Given Protection?
    I don't understand, if they are ER or PR positive, why would they not be given protection? Tamoxifen can be given to those women diagnose before they are menopausal/postmenopausal. They can't take the others hormonal therapy without removing ovaries or having some sort of shot, but Tamo works differently.

Even Stage 0 can morphed to other stages and even IV, why not give them the protection from the onset?

Hard to believe they wouldn't in this day and age, isn't Cynthia?

Doris

It has been my experience
    It has been my experience that often Tamoxifen is refused by survivors. I posted this because, in spite of the side effects, it is an important tool in fighting the beast.

BTW, my oldest sister who had DCIS ER+ refused tamoxifen because she said it made her "crazy." Luckily, she had a bilateral mastectomy, hysterectomy and oophrectomy, and 20 years later, she is still in remission.

I know the side effects are difficult; I took the drug from age 33-40. But I preach about it because I believe tamoxifen, along with radiation, chemo and surgery, was my saving grace. Of course, I had Stage 3A and had less options.

But my recurrence after 22 years just shows how sneaky and treacherous this beast can be. Fight it with everything you can!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

It has been my experience that often Tamoxifen is refused by survivors. I posted this because, in spite of the side effects, it is an important tool in fighting the beast.

BTW, my oldest sister who had DCIS ER+ refused tamoxifen because she said it made her "crazy." Luckily, she had a bilateral mastectomy, hysterectomy and oophrectomy, and 20 years later, she is still in remission.

I know the side effects are difficult; I took the drug from age 33-40. But I preach about it because I believe tamoxifen, along with radiation, chemo and surgery, was my saving grace. Of course, I had Stage 3A and had less options.

But my recurrence after 22 years just shows how sneaky and treacherous this beast can be. Fight it with everything you can!

CC .. Thank you for this very valuable posting .... ....
    Options are so important ...

Vicki Sam
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    I think doctors believe that
    I think doctors believe that DCIS is contained. There was an article some time back with regards to DCIS not always becoming invasive even if left alone. I know a gal that had DCIS so she just had the lumpectomy no chemo or anything. Later she had a lump and 2 nodes involved. No problem, mastectomy then chemo and I forget what for 5 years. Now Stage 4.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/715586

Articles like this do not help!

Cindy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Total hysterectomy in May
    Total hysterectomy in May 2011 due to side effects...back on it now..all seems ok so far