First CT Scan since diagnosis

jax568
jax568 Member Posts: 57
edited October 2011 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My husband had his first CT Scan since diagnosis and 4th cycle of chemo complete. We are going to doctor on Monday to receive results and start 5th cycle of chemo.

Usually at this time I looked through my notes that I have made since last seeing the doctor and rewrite them for the next appointment. Problem is I don't have many questions because my brain is on the scan. I won't get results until we see the doctor so how do I get my notes together. I won't know what my questions are until I am sitting there listening to results.

What are realistic results that I should hope for? I guess no new spots? He has mets to liver, but no pain. We know the original tumor has shrunk. My husband was unable to eat before he started chemo, glad to say he has no issues now and has gained weight back.

Any advice or words would be so welcomed.

Warm regards and thanks
Jackie
husband 45 stage IVb

Comments

• fredswilma
    fredswilma Member Posts: 185
    Hi Jackie
    I always get

Hi Jackie
    I always get really nervous when awaiting Mark's CT results and my brain goes to mush, so I do know how you are feeling. I do think tho, that we always have an idea of what those results might be, if you can say that your husband is eating better now then it is realistic to hope that the tumor has shrunk and if the main tumor has shrunk then it is realistic to expect no new spots, so hopefully for you and your husband it might be one of those nice visits that let you know the Chemo is putting up a really good fight and for now is winning the battle.
    Just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you on Monday and hoping that the results show that the tumor has indeed shrunk and that all that nasty Chemo has been worth it, let us know how you get on.
    Ann
  • jax568
    jax568 Member Posts: 57

Hi Jackie
    I always get

Hi Jackie
    I always get really nervous when awaiting Mark's CT results and my brain goes to mush, so I do know how you are feeling. I do think tho, that we always have an idea of what those results might be, if you can say that your husband is eating better now then it is realistic to hope that the tumor has shrunk and if the main tumor has shrunk then it is realistic to expect no new spots, so hopefully for you and your husband it might be one of those nice visits that let you know the Chemo is putting up a really good fight and for now is winning the battle.
    Just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you on Monday and hoping that the results show that the tumor has indeed shrunk and that all that nasty Chemo has been worth it, let us know how you get on.
    Ann

Thanks Ann
    I just wish I could some how take you and this board to his appointment. I know the second we step out the office door, our minds will start with all the questions! I so hate how that happens.

That's why I am trying to guess at some questions. I think I need to turn my brain off and get out and enjoy the day.

God bless
    Jackie
  • jax568 said:

Thanks Ann
    I just wish I could some how take you and this board to his appointment. I know the second we step out the office door, our minds will start with all the questions! I so hate how that happens.

That's why I am trying to guess at some questions. I think I need to turn my brain off and get out and enjoy the day.

God bless
    Jackie

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Wpturner05
    Wpturner05 Member Posts: 114
    unknown said:

How did it go?
    Sherri,

Kevin just had the left lobe down 9/21, the right lobe was done 8/3 . . . How did your husband do with the whole process. Kevin had a very difficult time with the second lobe - lost a lot weight, fatigue, abdominal discomfort etc. As a matter of fact he has had terrible painthe last week or so. He has scans on Thursday - I am fearful that there is spread . .

Thanks
    Whitney
  • How did it go?
    Sherri,

Kevin just had the left lobe down 9/21, the right lobe was done 8/3 . . . How did your husband do with the whole process. Kevin had a very difficult time with the second lobe - lost a lot weight, fatigue, abdominal discomfort etc. As a matter of fact he has had terrible painthe last week or so. He has scans on Thursday - I am fearful that there is spread . .

Thanks
    Whitney

• oriontj
    oriontj Member Posts: 375
    We always have them call us before our appt
    They didn't the time Tom's cancer returned but I was not happy..and now they do. I told them it's easier to hear this in our own home than to be blindsided at a dr's office. So now they call. That way, Tom writes all his questions down if he has any and off we go. Try it next time..it makes our life less stressful.

jan