Father's esphogeal surgey

pam716
pam716 Member Posts: 24
My father had his surgery today. They were able to do the MIE procedure and the surgery went well. The surgery was done at Abbott Northwestern Hospital. They believed before the surgery that the tumor was a localized T2 at the GE junction with the majority in the stomach. The pet scan and ct scan did not indicate any nodal involvement. After the surgery the surgeon said the tumor was larger than they thought and when it was sent to pathology for biospy another small tumor was found on the other side of the stomach wall. She said they now consider that this is masticized. She said she had never seen something like this before. Other organs appeared clean. She said that this changes the staging. Why is this considered matisized if it is still in the stomach? They now are going to have to discuss chemo. How long does it typically take for biospy of the lymph nodes? Also it is very painful for him to breathe? Is this normal. He was coughing before the surgery

Comments

• JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    Depending on the lab
    Depending on the lab facilities, it may take a few days to get the pathology report back so don't read anything in if it does take a little time. Did your father had any pre-op chemo or radiation? I am no medical professional but due to my own journey, I've learned a little. The reason for them to say there is a possible metastases is because it sounds like there was a tumor on in the GE junction and in the stomach as well. I believe the GE junction is considered a structure of the esophagus so the fact that a tumor existed in the stomach also may indicate metastatic disease to them. That is purely speculation on my part. Again, I'm a server guy, not a med guy. ;)

As for the breathing, it is tough after the surgery on the lungs. You're father was on a ventilator during the surgery which is tough on the lungs. He should have a respiratory professional working with him on exercises to help restrengthen the lungs and clear them out. I would work on my exercises even without the respiratory therapist. Often when they would come in to work with me, I'd already be doing the exercises so they pretty much left me to do it myself.

I hope your father has a good recovery.

Take care
  • pam716
    pam716 Member Posts: 24
    JimboC said:

Depending on the lab
    Depending on the lab facilities, it may take a few days to get the pathology report back so don't read anything in if it does take a little time. Did your father had any pre-op chemo or radiation? I am no medical professional but due to my own journey, I've learned a little. The reason for them to say there is a possible metastases is because it sounds like there was a tumor on in the GE junction and in the stomach as well. I believe the GE junction is considered a structure of the esophagus so the fact that a tumor existed in the stomach also may indicate metastatic disease to them. That is purely speculation on my part. Again, I'm a server guy, not a med guy. ;)

As for the breathing, it is tough after the surgery on the lungs. You're father was on a ventilator during the surgery which is tough on the lungs. He should have a respiratory professional working with him on exercises to help restrengthen the lungs and clear them out. I would work on my exercises even without the respiratory therapist. Often when they would come in to work with me, I'd already be doing the exercises so they pretty much left me to do it myself.

I hope your father has a good recovery.

Take care

No chemo or radiation
    Before surgery they had staged the cancer between a stage 1 and 2 so they decided against chemo and radiation before because of many other chronic conditions he already had. He has heart disease, diabetes, stage 3 kidney disease, and peripheal artery disease. The surgeon said the team would have discuss the next step. The surgeon admitted that she does not understand what the tumor is doing becasue she does not usually see it presenting the way it is presenting.
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Congratulations on the MIE!!!
    Pam,
    Jimbo is right on......My primary growth was in the GE junction, but because it has also spread or also grown (never told which came first kind of thing) into the stomach, and also my tumors went through the stomach and esophageal lining or walls as well, they called it metastasized-for that reason alone is enough to call it metastasized. The fact that mine had already spread to distant nodes and vessels was just further confirmation of mine being stage IV.

In my opinion, this simply might mean a T3a instead of a T2. Still very fixable, as they may have already. Just get that POST-OP chemo to wipe up any spills if offered/possible! You are in great hands. No nodes involved, I feel means no worries!

I have had biopsies "while we waited" and I have heard of them doing biopsies IN the 'OR' as they are operating, just to confirm they are not missing anything or to confirm that they got it all, so to speak, before closing up. Can help them decide on post-op chemo or if others issues may exist. I have read and seen them with a mini-lab in the 'OR' to test 'on the fly' during surgery! Amazing what they can do these days. (BING)

Metastases does not ONLY mean that there is spreading to OTHER organs, or doom and gloom. That the cancer is in other LOCAL (that is key-local not regional) places than just one is considered a metastases. This is how my oncologists explained it to us.
    Hope this helps ease your worries.

God bless you as you trudge the road to a recovery plan together with us all.

-Eric
  • jim2011
    jim2011 Member Posts: 115
    chemo after
    The team at Abbott and the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute are the best in the world imho. Chemo and radiation after surgery if offered(suggested)should be done. Doing his breathing on the little hand help spirometer helps keep that pesky alarm off. It seems just as a person is trying to relax and get some much needed sleep, the alarm notifying everyone within a block away goes off!
    Seriously...keep the doctors and nurses in the loop on accurate pain assesments and locations of pain. The lungs need to re-expand and that takes time and sometimes rather sharp pain when breathing in deeply. Up walking around seemed to be very helpful too. I wish you the best.
    Jim