Implant Surgery Coming Up

LynnKT
LynnKT Member Posts: 47
I'm finally getting the implant surgery done in a few weeks. I was reading the Mentor literature with all of the warnings of things that can potentially go wrong. I'm getting a little worried about it now. All the info on capsular contracture, potential rupturing and other issues sound scary. Has anyone out there had implants for a while? How has it gone for you? I am going to use the Mentor Memory Gel implants.

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Wishing you a successful Implants
    I never had implants but wishing you the best. All literature has to tell you all the dire things that may happen. Mostly it doesn't.

Doris
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi -- Didn't have this kind
    Hi -- Didn't have this kind of surgery but I just wanted to wish you well and a fast recovery. Go in with faith! :)
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    I have them
    I had my exchange surgery for the silicone implants almost a year ago. I was nervous about the surgery, but everything turned out to be fine. I had no problems with the surgery or complications afterwards. I find my implants to be much more comfortable than the expanders and I am happy with the way they look. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer any of them. I wish you the best of luck in your surgery.

Congratulations on reaching this milestone!

Best,
    Clementine
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Hi -- Didn't have this kind
    Hi -- Didn't have this kind of surgery but I just wanted to wish you well and a fast recovery. Go in with faith! :)

I had a lumpectomy Lynn,
    I had a lumpectomy Lynn, but, I wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Sue :)
  • LynnKT

I have them
    I had my exchange surgery for the silicone implants almost a year ago. I was nervous about the surgery, but everything turned out to be fine. I had no problems with the surgery or complications afterwards. I find my implants to be much more comfortable than the expanders and I am happy with the way they look. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer any of them. I wish you the best of luck in your surgery.

Congratulations on reaching this milestone!

Best,
    Clementine

Thanks. How long was your
    Thanks. How long was your recovery after the exchange surgery? I have 2 kids and am pretty active. Could you drive within a few days?
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    LynnKT said:

Thanks. How long was your recovery after the exchange surgery? I have 2 kids and am pretty active. Could you drive within a few days?

Hi Lynn,
    I have the Mentor

Hi Lynn,

I have the Mentor Silicone Implants. I am going in for minor 'tweaking' on the foobs in a couple of weeks because I don't like the extra skin/fat the surgeon left. I've had them in about 11 months and they are soft and I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm hoping the revision leaves me happier with the shape/size of the reconstruction, but the implants themselves I like.

Chickadee
  • Clementine_P
    LynnKT said:

Was easy. I felt more comfortable right out of the gate from when I had the expanders. I would say that within two weeks I was 100 percent but after only a couple of days I was able to function quite well. I had minimal pain, no drains, and for the most part just felt tired. I too am quite active. My surgery was at seven thirty in the morning and I was home by lunch. True!

Best,
    Clementine
  • LynnKT

Was easy. I felt more comfortable right out of the gate from when I had the expanders. I would say that within two weeks I was 100 percent but after only a couple of days I was able to function quite well. I had minimal pain, no drains, and for the most part just felt tired. I too am quite active. My surgery was at seven thirty in the morning and I was home by lunch. True!

Best,
    Clementine

Great to hear your positive
    Great to hear your positive report. Thank you so much. I went in yesterday for the pre-op tests. I have to say it is always hard to get medical tests where I have to take off my shirt (for EKG's, etc.). I always feel I have to explain why my chest looks so different. Medical professionals, for the most part, honestly don't care. They usually have seen it all. I look forward to having a softer chest. My son, who is 8, is used to getting hugs from his rock-chested mom.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I have them and my only
    I have them and my only regret is that I didn't get silicone! Best of luck to you.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    no problems
    Have you ever read the what if's on the bottle of aspirin or on the side of a Tylenol bottle ... liver damage ... all of that stuff? They have to list all the potential side-effects ... even if there is 0.05% chance of it happening.

I've had silicone implants a year in July and have had zero problems. So much better than the TE's.

You will need to massage the implants (when your PS says they have healed enough to do so) everyday for the rest of your life to help prevent CC and then the MRI after 2 or 3 to make sure there is no silent rupture.

I have no regrets and have had no problems whatsoever.
  • Clementine_P
    LynnKT said:

Great to hear your positive
    Great to hear your positive report. Thank you so much. I went in yesterday for the pre-op tests. I have to say it is always hard to get medical tests where I have to take off my shirt (for EKG's, etc.). I always feel I have to explain why my chest looks so different. Medical professionals, for the most part, honestly don't care. They usually have seen it all. I look forward to having a softer chest. My son, who is 8, is used to getting hugs from his rock-chested mom.

I know what you mean about the tests...
    But trust me you will be a rock chested mom no more! :)

Please keep us posted on your progress. I hope that you are very satisfied with the results and that your recovery is easy.
  • pginsburg
    pginsburg Member Posts: 8
    Mentor Memory Gel Implants
    I have only had the implant since April 27th of this year. I have not had any problems to date and the worst part of the recovery was waiting two days to shower. :)

Like any product or medication, if 1 individual has experienced an adverse effect, it needs to be documented. I tend to read all the warnings too, and worry. You should be just fine and will like the feel. My little boy is the world's best cuddler/hugger and what a difference to him and me between the expander and the implant!

Best wishes to you and keep us posted!
  • LynnKT
    pginsburg said:

Mentor Memory Gel Implants
    I have only had the implant since April 27th of this year. I have not had any problems to date and the worst part of the recovery was waiting two days to shower. :)

Like any product or medication, if 1 individual has experienced an adverse effect, it needs to be documented. I tend to read all the warnings too, and worry. You should be just fine and will like the feel. My little boy is the world's best cuddler/hugger and what a difference to him and me between the expander and the implant!

Best wishes to you and keep us posted!

Great to hear your
    Great to hear your responses. I will let you know how it goes next week. I've been waiting for this surgery for so long that it's actually hard to believe that it will be here soon. Thanks also for your words about all the warnings. My ps said the same thing when I brought up my concerns about rupturing and other potential risks. It's good to hear you saying the same thing.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    LynnKT said:

Good luck Lynn with your
    Good luck Lynn with your exchange surgery!

Hugs, Debby
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    LynnKT said:

Great to hear your
    Great to hear your responses. I will let you know how it goes next week. I've been waiting for this surgery for so long that it's actually hard to believe that it will be here soon. Thanks also for your words about all the warnings. My ps said the same thing when I brought up my concerns about rupturing and other potential risks. It's good to hear you saying the same thing.

Lynn,
    On Nov. 3rd, I too will be having my exchange surgery. I meet with my PS this week to order my implants. I'm still torn between saline and silicone, I have a few questions to ask my PS that will determine my decision. I too am starting to get excited about my procedure, I can't wait to have it done. I know I'll do fine... but it's time to get symmetrical once again. Mine will be the Allergan Natrelle implants.

Keep me posted on how you do and I'll do the same. Here's to a softer perky pair for the both of us real soon...

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

no problems
    Have you ever read the what if's on the bottle of aspirin or on the side of a Tylenol bottle ... liver damage ... all of that stuff? They have to list all the potential side-effects ... even if there is 0.05% chance of it happening.

I've had silicone implants a year in July and have had zero problems. So much better than the TE's.

You will need to massage the implants (when your PS says they have healed enough to do so) everyday for the rest of your life to help prevent CC and then the MRI after 2 or 3 to make sure there is no silent rupture.

I have no regrets and have had no problems whatsoever.

Hey Lynn! Wishing you good
    Hey Lynn! Wishing you good luck with your implant surgery!

♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣