diagnosed 10/7/2011

cntgobck03
cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed, trying to decide which surgery option and I see the oncologist today for the first time. The surgeon said I would most likely have to have chemo, I didn't want to hear that. I know I'll get through this but I can't say I'm not scared. Does most everyone have to have chemo? They said because of my age, I probably would. I'm 44. If I go with the lumpectomy, I have to radiation and chemo, If I do the mastecotomy, just chemo, most likely. I'm just looking for input from others who have been there.

Comments

• mnmamasues
    mnmamasues Member Posts: 2
    I know the feeling. I opted
    I know the feeling. I opted for the lumpectomy a year ago, when I was diagnosed. When they did the surgery, the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes resulting in diagnoses of stage 2 cancer. Followed up with two rounds of chemo and 28 days of radiation. My thought was I am 53, and did not want to lose my breast. Chemo for me went well. Radiation although was not easy at the end, due to radiation burns, I did manage ok and am doing well now. If you have any questions for me, feel free. Good luck with your decision!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    All of our stories are so
    All of our stories are so different because there are so many types of breast cancer. Care is very individualized.

I was diagnosed at age 33. I had to have a mastectomy because the tumor was throughout the breast. I did have chemo, radiation and years of tamoxifen. The great news is that I am still here at age 56 (24 years later).

My advice is to find the best oncologist that you can, don't hesitate to get a second opinion and then do everything you can to be compliant and fight the beast!

Good luck! I am praying for you.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    My advice to you is to take cancer serious
    and give it all you got. Choose the option that you feel comfortable with but don't
    underestimate this terrible illness and give it your all.

I chose the more aggressive approach and did mastectomy and chemo, I knew I that
    I couldn't bare thinking I could have done more. But that is just what gave me piece
    of mind. And everyone is different, do what feels right to you. I also am on the younger
    side I was 36 when diagnosed. And cancer is more aggressive in younger women.

Oh yeah, and by the way welcome to the club on one wants to belong to. And I am
    so glad you found us. And believe me when I say, so will you, as you progress with
    your treatment.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Welcome to the boards. You
    Welcome to the boards. You will find inspiration and information here. This site is a wonderful support. I was 66 when diagnosed with Stage 2 IDC (invasive ductal cacinoma). One thing you will find is that we are all so very different and what works for one may not work for another. I had a lumpectomy, 8 rounds of chemo and 33 radiation treatments. My surgeon and a few other Onc's advised against mastectomy for me, but as I said we are all so different. To be sure I was making the right decision for me I got a 2nd opinion. Remember this is your body and you can choose what to do based on the professional information presented to you. Many women my age had the mastectomy but so much depends on the Stage of your BC and you personally. Not everyone has chemo. If you are fortunate enough to catch it early sometimes all you need is surgery and radiation. Keep an open mind, take an extra person with you to your doctor's appointments so they can hear what you miss hearing from the doctors.

This is an emotional and sometimes overwhelming time. There is so much info to gather and our heads are in a swirl just hearing that we have BC. Remember that whatever treatment you need, you WILL get thru this just as we have. Keep your chin up. You now have joined the army of 'pinks". The army we would never have chosen, but we learn to "fight like a girl".
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

All of our stories are so
    All of our stories are so different because there are so many types of breast cancer. Care is very individualized.

I was diagnosed at age 33. I had to have a mastectomy because the tumor was throughout the breast. I did have chemo, radiation and years of tamoxifen. The great news is that I am still here at age 56 (24 years later).

My advice is to find the best oncologist that you can, don't hesitate to get a second opinion and then do everything you can to be compliant and fight the beast!

Good luck! I am praying for you.

I am so sorry that you are
    I am so sorry that you are scared, we all understand that. I didn't have chemo. I had a lumpectomy with rads.

Like the others said, we are all different and have different treatments.

Wishing you good luck!

Sue :)
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    natly15 said:

Welcome to the boards. You
    Welcome to the boards. You will find inspiration and information here. This site is a wonderful support. I was 66 when diagnosed with Stage 2 IDC (invasive ductal cacinoma). One thing you will find is that we are all so very different and what works for one may not work for another. I had a lumpectomy, 8 rounds of chemo and 33 radiation treatments. My surgeon and a few other Onc's advised against mastectomy for me, but as I said we are all so different. To be sure I was making the right decision for me I got a 2nd opinion. Remember this is your body and you can choose what to do based on the professional information presented to you. Many women my age had the mastectomy but so much depends on the Stage of your BC and you personally. Not everyone has chemo. If you are fortunate enough to catch it early sometimes all you need is surgery and radiation. Keep an open mind, take an extra person with you to your doctor's appointments so they can hear what you miss hearing from the doctors.

This is an emotional and sometimes overwhelming time. There is so much info to gather and our heads are in a swirl just hearing that we have BC. Remember that whatever treatment you need, you WILL get thru this just as we have. Keep your chin up. You now have joined the army of 'pinks". The army we would never have chosen, but we learn to "fight like a girl".

Decisions, decisions
    It's really great we get to be a part of the decision making process, but there were times I wished they'd just told me what to do. Whether you'll need chemo or not is independent of your surgery choice. It's based on lots of things, age being one of them, but primarily type, stage, grade, homone receptor status, and if appropriate oncotype test. Just lots of variables.

I was 63, Stage 1, grade 2, but I did have chemo because my oncotype score was in the high risk for recurrence area (really no choice there, but I could have declined I suppose). My surgery choice was lumpectomy so I also had radiation. It was all tolerable.

Ask lots of questions of your docs and come here for the support you need throughout your adventure. There's no getting around it, it's scarey, but hope we can help.

Suzanne
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Welcome to the boards. There
    Welcome to the boards. There is a GREAT group of ladies here. They have helped me SO much with information, laughs, and just being 'here'.

I was diagnosed 3/29/10, at age 43, with IDC. Luckily, tumor was 1cm, no nodes. I had lumpectomy and radiation. I was in a trial study and had radiation 2x/day for 5 days. My oncotype score was 12. I am ER+. I am very lucky to have had the treatment I had, and no chemo. If it comes back, I will be much more agressive. I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 10. My onco is a research guy and recommended the trial study. He didn't feel that I would get much more benefit from adding the chemo to what we did.

Nice to 'meet' you. Sorry to have to meet you. The pink sisters will take good care of you. And be sure to request the 'pink bus' when you have an appointment! We will all ride with you for support! :-)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    welcome..sorry to hear of
    welcome..sorry to hear of your news...I had Lumpectomy early 2008 followed by 8 wks daily radiation. I did not experience chemo-so sorry I can't give any helpful advice..

Thinking of you..

Denise
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome, this is a wonderful place to be even though no one wanted to be here. Good that you found this place so early in your journey. You can find answers to almost any question, a cheering section and more hugs and prayers than you can imagine!

Each of us have chosen different responses for different reasons. I was diagnosed at 47 with 3 masses in the right breast and lymph node involvement. I opted for bilateral mastectomy as my sister also had BC at 30. I did not want to mess around. I had chemo then surgery then rads. (yes even with mastectomy)

Just gather all the information you need, you will make the right decision for you.

All the best,
    Cindy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    mamolady said:

Welcome
    Welcome, this is a wonderful place to be even though no one wanted to be here. Good that you found this place so early in your journey. You can find answers to almost any question, a cheering section and more hugs and prayers than you can imagine!

Each of us have chosen different responses for different reasons. I was diagnosed at 47 with 3 masses in the right breast and lymph node involvement. I opted for bilateral mastectomy as my sister also had BC at 30. I did not want to mess around. I had chemo then surgery then rads. (yes even with mastectomy)

Just gather all the information you need, you will make the right decision for you.

All the best,
    Cindy

Welcome
    Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to. I had a different
    type of cancer, so I had lumpectomy, rads, and now tamoxifen. I would agree with the
    above posters--gather as much info as possible, seek a second opinion
    if necessary. We are here for you every step of the way! (((Hugs))) & prayers
    sent your way.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    aysemari said:

and give it all you got. Choose the option that you feel comfortable with but don't

I chose the more aggressive approach and did mastectomy and chemo, I knew I that
    I couldn't bare thinking I could have done more. But that is just what gave me piece
    of mind. And everyone is different, do what feels right to you. I also am on the younger

so glad you found us. And believe me when I say, so will you, as you progress with
    your treatment.

Hugs,
    Ayse

I had a lumpectomy and then
    I had a lumpectomy and then rads. I had clear margins, so, chemo wasn't recommended for me.

Hugs, Debby
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Welcome sister!
    Welcome!

I'm sorry you are going through this, but I wanted to welcome you to this great community of supportive and caring ladies (and men!).

I had a lumpectomy (i'm 33) because I wasn't ready emotionally for any other surgery. Plus I didn't have enough information/knowledge to make an educative decision. For young people, I know they recommend the removal of the breast, but I also know there are stats that show (including both young and older women), that a lumpectomy with radiation is the same as the removal of the breast. They're no guarantees the cancer won't come back with either surgery. However, you can prevent new cancers from developing for up to 95% with a mastectomy. The reason younger women benefit from a mastectomy is because the risk goes up as you get older.

Please remember this decision is yours only. It's very personal. I suggest you consider your options and see what you feel comfortable with. I took chemo and rads, but just had lumpectomy.

We're always here for you. You'll be OK.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

welcome..sorry to hear of
    welcome..sorry to hear of your news...I had Lumpectomy early 2008 followed by 8 wks daily radiation. I did not experience chemo-so sorry I can't give any helpful advice..

Thinking of you..

Denise

This is a great place! I am
    This is a great place! I am sorry to read of your news. I will be praying for you.

Hugs, Lex
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Like CC said
    we are all so different in our diagnoses and experiences. I had IDC at 55. I had a lumpectomy and radiation. My oncologist ordered the Onco dx test, my scrore came back very low, so I opted out of chemo.

It's a personal choice. Even though I was afraid, I would have had chemo if my score was higher - while other ladies have opted for mastecomy over lumpectomy plus chemo and radiation to fight C with everything. Sometimes we don't get to chose, our dx choses for us.

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Like CC said
    we are all so different in our diagnoses and experiences. I had IDC at 55. I had a lumpectomy and radiation. My oncologist ordered the Onco dx test, my scrore came back very low, so I opted out of chemo.

It's a personal choice. Even though I was afraid, I would have had chemo if my score was higher - while other ladies have opted for mastecomy over lumpectomy plus chemo and radiation to fight C with everything. Sometimes we don't get to chose, our dx choses for us.

Sue

welcome sorry we had to meet
    welcome sorry we had to meet but glad you found us. We will be here for any questions concerns, rides on the pink bus etc...
    DW love your pic!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    similar story and welcome :)
    Hello and I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with this :( im glad you found this website though - it holds a wealth of information and support for you, and we're a pretty phenomenal group of people!
    I was 34 last year at diagnosis. My advice to you would be to discuss your options with your surgeon, consult an oncologist, and a plastic surgeon. I took 2 weeks after my diagnosis to read, research, and meet with these doctors and it really helped me to make my decision to have a bilateral mastectomy (i only had cancer in my right breast), with reconstruction. I have not had one regret with my choice.
    Chemo - it plain sucks. It IS do-able though. And they have really good meds that prevent nausea and vomiting, and most side effects can be managed with meds. I was also told that I would need chemo because of my age. I wont say that one surgery is better than the other, but ill share why I chose mastectomy.
    -because of being younger, my cancer was more aggressive, and my chances of it returning in the same breast, and getting it in the other breast, in the future, was very high. 60-80% chance in MY case of a recurrence per my oncologist. To me, those are high numbers. So it gave me peace of mind having them both gone. Also, I didn't want to have to go through radiation every day for 5-6 weeks. And cosmetically, I would have a better look if I had both breasts removed and replaced with silicone implants. Im extrmely happy with my breast reconstruction. I know that I could still have a recurrence along my scar or on my chest wall, but just having them both gone just eases my mind. Radical, yes. But then again so was the idea of me, a 34 year old mother of two, even getting cancer in the first place. And for me, it's all about being here for them well into their adulthood and beyond.
    Best of luck to you, dear sister, and please know that you can count on us anytime to lend you our support and love and experiences.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

Decisions, decisions
    It's really great we get to be a part of the decision making process, but there were times I wished they'd just told me what to do. Whether you'll need chemo or not is independent of your surgery choice. It's based on lots of things, age being one of them, but primarily type, stage, grade, homone receptor status, and if appropriate oncotype test. Just lots of variables.

I was 63, Stage 1, grade 2, but I did have chemo because my oncotype score was in the high risk for recurrence area (really no choice there, but I could have declined I suppose). My surgery choice was lumpectomy so I also had radiation. It was all tolerable.

Ask lots of questions of your docs and come here for the support you need throughout your adventure. There's no getting around it, it's scarey, but hope we can help.

Suzanne

Suzanne!!!!
    Your new profile picture is beautiful!!!!
    xoxo
  • cntgobck03

Welcome sister!
    Welcome!

I'm sorry you are going through this, but I wanted to welcome you to this great community of supportive and caring ladies (and men!).

I had a lumpectomy (i'm 33) because I wasn't ready emotionally for any other surgery. Plus I didn't have enough information/knowledge to make an educative decision. For young people, I know they recommend the removal of the breast, but I also know there are stats that show (including both young and older women), that a lumpectomy with radiation is the same as the removal of the breast. They're no guarantees the cancer won't come back with either surgery. However, you can prevent new cancers from developing for up to 95% with a mastectomy. The reason younger women benefit from a mastectomy is because the risk goes up as you get older.

Please remember this decision is yours only. It's very personal. I suggest you consider your options and see what you feel comfortable with. I took chemo and rads, but just had lumpectomy.

We're always here for you. You'll be OK.

lumpectomy question
    did the lumpectomy cause disfiguration? I am small breasted and I wonder about that. Thank you so much for your reply. All of the replies have been wonderful and helpful. I don't feel as alone. I've been so weepy the last couple weeks, and it comes when I'm not expecting it. My mind seems to wander off at times, focus is a problem. I'm a positive person and I know that this is just another speed bump. How long does it take before that feeling goes away?
  • cntgobck03

I know the feeling. I opted
    I know the feeling. I opted for the lumpectomy a year ago, when I was diagnosed. When they did the surgery, the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes resulting in diagnoses of stage 2 cancer. Followed up with two rounds of chemo and 28 days of radiation. My thought was I am 53, and did not want to lose my breast. Chemo for me went well. Radiation although was not easy at the end, due to radiation burns, I did manage ok and am doing well now. If you have any questions for me, feel free. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much for
    Thank you so much for replying. I'm so afraid of that outcome at the surgery. That it will be in the lymphnodes. What was your original diagnosis before surgery? Did you look the same after the lumpectomy? I am small breasted and I'm worried that when they remove the tissue, I will be disfigured. The surgeon leaned more towards the mastectomy, the oncologist said the lumpectomy was fine. She said it didn't change my chances for other cancers occuring or even for the potential of another occurence of breast cancer. They are both top in their field. It is confusing. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon and I'm having a breast MRI for a better picture of what we're looking at in terms of the possibility of additional tumor sites.
  • cntgobck03
    aysemari said:

your treatment.

Hugs,
    Ayse

I feel like I have alot of
    I feel like I have alot of information and then not near enough. Like I've made a decision and then I question. This is so hard.