More fun with cancer....NOT!!

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
As many of you know I had the re-excision surgery last month. Two weeks ago, the surgeon removed every other stitch. Two days ago, I finally had the last of the stitches removed.

As the nurse was cleaning the area, the skin 'plopped' open and a bunch of icky fluid ran out. Yep, kinda gross. Because it was draining, the nurse packed the area and covered it. Said come see me tomorrow, we'll see how it's doing and make a plan then.

Well it drained a lot more than expected...saw the nurse and the surgeon yesterday...and the bottom line...I get to live with an open wound for a while. The tissue will heal very very very slowly because of the previous rads treatments and the Xeloda.

I go back on Friday to see the nurse, she'll teach my poor squeamish hubby how to clean and pack the wound. We'll be cleaning and packing every other day, and also weekly visits to the nurse for follow up.

Somehow, all this is weighing more heavily on me than some of the other stuff I've dealt with recently...I'll just need some time to get my mind around this too.

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Linda, I HATE this damned
    Linda, I HATE this damned disease...if it's not one thing, it's another. As I go through my 2nd recurrence, I have found that it's the "new" things I go through this time that seem to bother me. For example, I had to have a port put in because my poor veins would not be able to handle chemo, again. I was so upset because I felt that this port would be with me for the rest of my life and it's not my type of jewelry!! I don't have any experience with packing wounds but I know I have read of other sisters that have had to do that. I hope they post their experience for you and maybe give you some oomfort. Sending love and (((hugs)))!
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Oh Linda
    I'm so sorry that this cr*p just keeps on comin'. This disease is so totally unfair and evil.

Praying for you and your family, especially hubby. I know mine couldn't do it. I had a girlfriend take of the bandages from my lumpectomy, my husband couldn't even look at the drain when it was attached (well to be fair it was really gross).

Praying that you heal with remarkable speed and can finally move on from this.

Prayers and angels.

marge
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    No fun here!
    Linda, so sorry to hear of this latest setback. Remember that
    we are always here for you. Hope you will soon be feeling
    better! (((Hugs))) and prayers sent to you!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry to hear you are going
    sorry to hear you are going through this...I am terrible with anything medical..May I had hysterectomy and took me 2 mths to look at it..(my duaghter did everything for me) Breast surgery took me 4 mths or so...I passed out in Dr office when he took stitches out of my finger Post Surgery (arthritus) 2 fingers down another IN NEED NOW..

so anyhow...I totally understand...! Can you get home nurse to do?

Denise
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

sorry to hear you are going
    sorry to hear you are going through this...I am terrible with anything medical..May I had hysterectomy and took me 2 mths to look at it..(my duaghter did everything for me) Breast surgery took me 4 mths or so...I passed out in Dr office when he took stitches out of my finger Post Surgery (arthritus) 2 fingers down another IN NEED NOW..

so anyhow...I totally understand...! Can you get home nurse to do?

Denise

Dang!
    You poor, darling. And your poor husband. I bet it feels like a step back instead of progressing. What next?

Hugs and prayers that this will heal more quickly than anticipated.

Love,
    Suzanne
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Dang!
    You poor, darling. And your poor husband. I bet it feels like a step back instead of progressing. What next?

Hugs and prayers that this will heal more quickly than anticipated.

Love,
    Suzanne

So sorry you're having to go through this now, Linda
    I understand your feelings--I think it's the things I can actually see and have to deal with that bother me more than the stuff I can't see. Hoping that this goes away very quickly and will soon be only a memory. Best of luck, hugs and positive wishes.

Hugs, Renee
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    UGH!!
    Oh Linda so sorry about this experience you are going through. Praying you recover soon from all of this, ALL. Please rest and know we're here for you.
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

UGH!!
    Oh Linda so sorry about this experience you are going through. Praying you recover soon from all of this, ALL. Please rest and know we're here for you.

UGH is right!
    So sorry you are going through this latest issue. Hope it will be over soon; yes, we do heal more slowly after rads; I didn;t know the Xeloda would also slow healing.

As someone else posted, sometimes it is those things that we can see that are a visible evidence of the disease that we can;t see, that really bother us.

I had my post surgery drain in for a month and it was yuck. My husband who is also squeamish had to strip it for me. the worse was when the clotted blood thingies would slime out. Now, with the radiation burns, he has had to put cream every night over these crusty, oozy, smelly areas. None of this is any fun! I have been feeling so ugly with these radiation burns, it's worse than the MX scar since it's a large area and has been taking longer to heal. So I totally hear you with the yuck factor. It is not pretty!!!

Laura
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so sorry to hear about
    I am so sorry to hear about this latest issue. Take good care of yourself and really keep that wound clean! I am praying for a quick healing. These kinds of frustrations can take such a toll...be strong my friend! ((((Healing Hugs)))
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281

I am so sorry to hear about
    I am so sorry to hear about this latest issue. Take good care of yourself and really keep that wound clean! I am praying for a quick healing. These kinds of frustrations can take such a toll...be strong my friend! ((((Healing Hugs)))

Gee Whiz Linda; its not
    Gee Whiz Linda; its not raining on you, its pouring! So sorry to
    hear this latest news. Praying recovery will be swift and complete.
    Are you working through all this? God bless.

Luv, Teresa
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Awww, huge bummer!
    Sometimes I think that the first round of all things cancer-related just kinda wears us out, wear us down for anything else that may pop up in the future.

Certainly - I wish you didn't have to deal with this in addition to everything you're already going through.

Gentle hugs backatcha, Linda.

Kind regards, Susan
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

Awww, huge bummer!
    Sometimes I think that the first round of all things cancer-related just kinda wears us out, wear us down for anything else that may pop up in the future.

Certainly - I wish you didn't have to deal with this in addition to everything you're already going through.

Gentle hugs backatcha, Linda.

Kind regards, Susan

Praying u will heal~
    ~what a challenge. to say the least. I had one experience packing a wound for one of my sons. I did not think I could do it, but set my mind to it, and did it faithfully and tenderly. Your husband is a true saint to step up to the challenge~ I pray he will have a healing touch to his wound care regimen~
    ~one day at a time Linda~ take a deep breath, and envision someplace special as you heal. I personally like tropical places with palm tree's and the sound of the ocean, plus the sand between my toes!
    ~Melanie
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908

Praying u will heal~
    ~what a challenge. to say the least. I had one experience packing a wound for one of my sons. I did not think I could do it, but set my mind to it, and did it faithfully and tenderly. Your husband is a true saint to step up to the challenge~ I pray he will have a healing touch to his wound care regimen~
    ~one day at a time Linda~ take a deep breath, and envision someplace special as you heal. I personally like tropical places with palm tree's and the sound of the ocean, plus the sand between my toes!
    ~Melanie

Visiting Nurse
    Linda, I don't know where you live but if your husband has trouble doing the packing of your wound, ask about having Visiting Nurse service come to your house and do it for you. Not everyone is able to do that stuff. Just an idea. HUGS!!! Cathy
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    cruf said:

Visiting Nurse
    Linda, I don't know where you live but if your husband has trouble doing the packing of your wound, ask about having Visiting Nurse service come to your house and do it for you. Not everyone is able to do that stuff. Just an idea. HUGS!!! Cathy

OMG Linda!!!
    Soooo Sorry to hear this. However, this too shall pass...and you'll get through it!!! You're a Strong Warrior and we're all there in spirit and prayers. Thank GOD for the support of your husband, and Great idea, mentioned by Cathy, to check on a visiting nurse.

I'm sending prayers and positive vibes your way.

Thanks Much for the update.

Take it EZ and Take care.

Big Hugs!!!
    Mitzi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

OMG Linda!!!
    Soooo Sorry to hear this. However, this too shall pass...and you'll get through it!!! You're a Strong Warrior and we're all there in spirit and prayers. Thank GOD for the support of your husband, and Great idea, mentioned by Cathy, to check on a visiting nurse.

I'm sending prayers and positive vibes your way.

Thanks Much for the update.

Take it EZ and Take care.

Big Hugs!!!
    Mitzi

Its funny how certain things
    Its funny how certain things we can deal with and others we cant. i would not like the open wound thing either. It seems that with all kinds of surgery, there are lots of infections. Then to top it off you have had the chemo and rads. You are so wonderful, lots of hugs I am sorry this is happening. sucks.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    carkris said:

Its funny how certain things
    Its funny how certain things we can deal with and others we cant. i would not like the open wound thing either. It seems that with all kinds of surgery, there are lots of infections. Then to top it off you have had the chemo and rads. You are so wonderful, lots of hugs I am sorry this is happening. sucks.

Wow, Linda. I would say
    Wow, Linda. I would say what next, but sure enough there would be something! Instead I'll just continue to pray for you and send you cyber-hugs and every positive vibe I can muster.
    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((YOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Hope I didn't hug too tight. See you Sunday.

Chickadee
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Linda oh I hope that wound
    Linda oh I hope that wound heals quickly. Enough already!! Cancer sucks. You are very wise and I know you will wrap your head around this most recent challenge. You know sometimes it really is ok to throw in the towel for a while as long as we dont allow it to become saturated. (((((HUGS)))))
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Linda, I'm sorry that you
    Linda, I'm sorry that you have more to deal with. But this is NOT cancer. Sometimes it's hard to separate the effects of treatment from the cancer itself. They all get tumbled together. This too shall pass. xoxoxo lynn
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    lynn1950 said:

Linda, I'm sorry that you
    Linda, I'm sorry that you have more to deal with. But this is NOT cancer. Sometimes it's hard to separate the effects of treatment from the cancer itself. They all get tumbled together. This too shall pass. xoxoxo lynn

I'm so sorry
    Oh Linda, I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with more crap. You are so strong, brave, & determined & I know you are going to overcome this hurdle too. Stay strong, take good care of yourself & know that my family & I pray for you daily. I'll probably call you this weekend to check on you.

Hugs & lots of love,

Dawne
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Linda,
    It is strange the

Linda,
    It is strange the things that are harder to deal with. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sorry you have more on your plate. It is nice that your hubby is willing to do even the dirty work!

All the best,
    Cindy