OT - How to make 40 years disappear

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
Go to your High School reunion! OMG! I had so much fun! It was soooo much better than high school actually was. We even decided to meet for breakfast this morning.
We looked great - only a few I didn't recognize instantly. I found that I had a few pink sisters among our group, too.

A classmates brother works for the school district and he was able to give us a tour of the school. It has had a few additions, but as we walked the halls, we found our lockers, named the teachers who occupied those rooms, found our homerooms, swapped stories.

Anyway, after 40 years nothing matters, cliques disappear and the joy of shared youthful memories is a treasure in itself.

Sue

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Thanks for that. My 40th is
    Thanks for that. My 40th is this year too and I'm hoping to go. You expressed it so beautifully that, after the years have melted away, it is so different. At my 35th, right after Hurricane Katrina, I remember being so grateful to be able to see old friends alive and healthy and had a chance to reminisce about those who have gone too early.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Sounds like fun! I skipped
    Sounds like fun! I skipped my 30 year this year because I had just finished rads and wasn't really up to it. I will keep the 40 th in mind.

Cindy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Am glad you went...
    ... and enjoyed yourself! Sounds like a lot of fun, Sue.

On Saturday, I'll attend our 35 Year High School Reunion (Class of 1976, very small school) - my first. Have learned there was a 10 & a 25. Was more difficult to locate folks for those back then. The internet has helped a lot for this one.

I'm looking forward to mine - even more so now that you've shared your wonderful experience!

Kind regards, Susan
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Am glad you went...
    ... and enjoyed yourself! Sounds like a lot of fun, Sue.

On Saturday, I'll attend our 35 Year High School Reunion (Class of 1976, very small school) - my first. Have learned there was a 10 & a 25. Was more difficult to locate folks for those back then. The internet has helped a lot for this one.

I'm looking forward to mine - even more so now that you've shared your wonderful experience!

Kind regards, Susan

Oh yes class reunions
    Oh yes class reunions are fun and especially nice seeing everyone we only see every 5 years.We decided early on in our class reunions to do it every 5 years than every 10 years.Alot of classmates had passed away within the 10 years and we wanted to see each other more often.I help organize the reunions and that is interesting because as we go along with the planning we find out where everyone is and how they are doing.We get on the phone and talk to some.We Talk about old times and what we did in school.In the 60's we had so much fun.Wholesome fun.

Last year I wasn't sure I wanted to go or could go.We started planning the reunion in Aug of 2009.I was just dx.I told them after I find out what is going on I will attend the meetings.It wasn't till February 2010 when I started helping plan.I remember all of us going over who is coming and who isn't.Well my X boyfriend hadn't turned in his paper so they called him.Then he came. We dated all through high school then broke up.We were Serious but we were young.When he saw me he asked HOW are you??? I said Pretty good.Then he looked at my husband then back at me and gave me a supporative hug. Our classmates had told him about my cancer. I think we all need to go and see our classmates as it may be our last time.Whenever we plan ours we think about it. And we usually loose more than one classmate within those 5 years till the next reunion.

Our next reunion will be our 50th.Yes amazing.We've beentalking about what we want to do for that "special" year. We talked about having it at our old High School.Go back in time like you did at your reunion.See what it looks like now.Not many have been in it for years and we think it would be neat.The school now houses adminstrative offices but looks the same on the outside.That is where we had our class picture taken.In front of our OLD High School.That is our plan again.Take our 50th year class reunion pic in front of our old High School.I am responsible for putting the pic in the paper. We think that would be neat.

I encourage everyone to attend class reunions.We all hug each other now because we don't know what tomorrow will bring.I had a Classmate/Friend loose her twin sister in January.Her twin had breast cancer for 12 years.She was Stage 4.Then 2 days ago this classmate lost her older sister.Now she is the only one left in the family.It shocked me to read this since her twin had just passed less than 10 months.I went to the funeral in January. my heart was broken. I ran around with the twins.At the funeral in January her twin and I talked about what the 3 of us did. My heart goes out to my classmate/friend. I can't imagine loosing 2 sisters in less than a year.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so true
    Everyone on even playing field per say...I never went to any reunions until my 30th I reconnected with 3 friends from kindergarten and now we (GNO=girls night out) out once a month...like we never missed a beat....so happy we got back together..
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so true
    Everyone on even playing field per say...I never went to any reunions until my 30th I reconnected with 3 friends from kindergarten and now we (GNO=girls night out) out once a month...like we never missed a beat....so happy we got back together..
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

so true

Oh my .. What a hoot!!
    Good times, new memories and lots of fun.

So happy that you enjoyed yourself, reconnected with friends, and enjoyed your reunion.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    VickiSam said:

Oh my .. What a hoot!!
    Good times, new memories and lots of fun.

So happy that you enjoyed yourself, reconnected with friends, and enjoyed your reunion.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

I went to my 50th high
    I went to my 50th high school reunion last year - what a blast! I thought all of us looked really great. One woman actually came up to me and made amends for being mean to me in 6th grade. Can you believe it? Today I had lunch with 5 of my grammar school girlfriends! We laughed and giggled for 3 hours. That made me feel a whole lot better.
    I'm so glad you went and that you had a great time.

Pam
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Pam5 said:

I went to my 50th high
    I went to my 50th high school reunion last year - what a blast! I thought all of us looked really great. One woman actually came up to me and made amends for being mean to me in 6th grade. Can you believe it? Today I had lunch with 5 of my grammar school girlfriends! We laughed and giggled for 3 hours. That made me feel a whole lot better.
    I'm so glad you went and that you had a great time.

Pam

I am coming up on my 46th class reunion. The irony is that
    the (male)president of our class has had breast cancer
    not once, but twice! He said that he rarely mentions it,
    but felt it was OK to tell me.

Everyone, go to your class reunions, & have fun!