Mother's 4th chemo post-poned input needed

Hope everybody's Monday is a better one. Mother had bad side affects due to chemo on her 3rd dose. She fainted 2 times a few days after the treatment. So now they are doing tests pet , mri ? Why the mri? All tests are better I know. Anybody had these spells? She has stage iv but with no mets to organs. Radation is next on the list , feeding tube first. Think were about to enter anorther world. Will she mother need someone there 24-7 with this also? Thanks for any input.

Jason

Comments

• chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Why the tests?
    Jason
    Did they already DO a PET scan before this one? The MRI could be for a host of good reasons and if they didn't tell you, we would all be guessing.
    Having not done any chemo, I cannot advise you on why the fainting. Everyone responds to the drugs so differently. I wish I knew. They may want to make sure they are not causing clots or the like and want to test and look before they continue with the cocktail they have her on currently. This is a guess. PLEASE do let us know what they tell you and what the tests end up showing!

I am sorry no one else has responded yet, Maybe putting it back at the top by responding will help. Board has been very busy today!

As for the need for 24/7 care, how old is she? How mobile is she right now? During chemo it is ALWAYS a good idea to have someone there at all times, as with the fainting, you never know what side effect will crop up until they do, and for that, you do not want her alone at all. I hope this helps.

God bless. I will pray for you both. You are doing great as a caretaker.

-Eric
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100

Why the tests?
    Jason
    Did they already DO a PET scan before this one? The MRI could be for a host of good reasons and if they didn't tell you, we would all be guessing.
    Having not done any chemo, I cannot advise you on why the fainting. Everyone responds to the drugs so differently. I wish I knew. They may want to make sure they are not causing clots or the like and want to test and look before they continue with the cocktail they have her on currently. This is a guess. PLEASE do let us know what they tell you and what the tests end up showing!

I am sorry no one else has responded yet, Maybe putting it back at the top by responding will help. Board has been very busy today!

As for the need for 24/7 care, how old is she? How mobile is she right now? During chemo it is ALWAYS a good idea to have someone there at all times, as with the fainting, you never know what side effect will crop up until they do, and for that, you do not want her alone at all. I hope this helps.

God bless. I will pray for you both. You are doing great as a caretaker.

-Eric

Hey Eric
    Thanks very much for responding. My prayers are with you first , you are a class act bar none . I do keep up with you. Mom is doing great , just the few days after chemo it hits hard. I guess after the 3rd one it started building up and the fainting spells. Taxol and Cystplatin now. She is 56 and sounds great over the phone. They just got back from a beach trip - it sounded like she was on top of the world. The calm before the storm - i keep thinking. At the sametime im praying for a miracle - the test at least will come back good? On the caretaking - im about 200 miles away. I will be there when ever she calls , I have nothing pending. The only beef I have is her Husband. Mother has quit smokeing and drinking as he has not just makes it hard to be there. I could stay with other friends dureing the night and with her the day - I guess thats what will eventually happen. We do what we have got to do.

Thanks ,

Jason
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    json_2011 said:

Hey Eric
    Thanks very much for responding. My prayers are with you first , you are a class act bar none . I do keep up with you. Mom is doing great , just the few days after chemo it hits hard. I guess after the 3rd one it started building up and the fainting spells. Taxol and Cystplatin now. She is 56 and sounds great over the phone. They just got back from a beach trip - it sounded like she was on top of the world. The calm before the storm - i keep thinking. At the sametime im praying for a miracle - the test at least will come back good? On the caretaking - im about 200 miles away. I will be there when ever she calls , I have nothing pending. The only beef I have is her Husband. Mother has quit smokeing and drinking as he has not just makes it hard to be there. I could stay with other friends dureing the night and with her the day - I guess thats what will eventually happen. We do what we have got to do.

Thanks ,

Jason

Thanks Jason
    Jason,
    Glad to hear Mom sounds so good. I understand about the smoking and drinking and not wanting to be around that. Probably not good for her either, but I am not one to talk! (about the SMOKING I mean!)

I will keep you both in our prayers.

They never seem to know what the chemo will DO until it DOES.
    I will hope the test results show what is going on, and that they tell you as much.
    Perhaps it is just time for another type of chemo and that's all that is needed.

Keep us posted, we are all here for you.

-Eric
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thankyou Sherri
    Yes this is all new for us of course. I hope this is just a bad spell. The tests will tell. I will keep everyone posted. I pray that everything is o.k.
  • jss2011
    jss2011 Member Posts: 132
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Blood Pressure?
    My husband has had a few dizzy spells and it is low blood pressure in his case. He has to move slowly when getting up after sitting awhile.

Julie