My period came back???

kjhbrteam
kjhbrteam Member Posts: 10
After almost one year of no period...today I started to bleed. I thought with all the chemo and radiation my body was done with the monthly bleeding! Anyone else have their periods stop all together. I am 39 years old so I think I still have some years to go.... ;)

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Nope... lucky me the curse
    Nope... lucky me the curse is gone. Are you currently taking tamoxifen or any other estrogen blocker? If so I believe your oncologist will want to know... I know of women getting the periods back and with each of us it's different. Most usually return within six months or so of stopping chemo... I'd say you are normal, but make sure your MO knows.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • kjhbrteam
    kjhbrteam Member Posts: 10

Nope... lucky me the curse
    Nope... lucky me the curse is gone. Are you currently taking tamoxifen or any other estrogen blocker? If so I believe your oncologist will want to know... I know of women getting the periods back and with each of us it's different. Most usually return within six months or so of stopping chemo... I'd say you are normal, but make sure your MO knows.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Oh thank you Lorrie! Good to
    Oh thank you Lorrie! Good to know...yes I am on Tamoxifen...okay calling oncologist just to make sure!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I had a year and a half of
    I had a year and a half of no menstrual cycle and then I had my period on the 1st July and nothing since. I am 45 years old. This could actually be it for me or maybe not. However I spoke with two different gynecologists. One a male doctor, who told me I would never have a menstrual cycle again and the other a woment who told me that she has had patients who have started their menstrual cycle 4 years after they completed chemo and others that never did start up again. She did say the older you are or the closer you are to menapause the less likely it will start up again but then there are always exceptions. Everyone is different.

FYI: I am not on tamoxifen and was on Herceptin for over a year.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had not had my period about 3 yrs prior to my BC
    I went on Tamoxifen...aug 2008 and this past jan out of blue while out with friends..I started bleeding heavy...went the dr right away...took me off tamoxifen for few months..still bleeding. I then had total hystertomy-due to bleeding and thickened uterus.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

I had not had my period about 3 yrs prior to my BC
    I went on Tamoxifen...aug 2008 and this past jan out of blue while out with friends..I started bleeding heavy...went the dr right away...took me off tamoxifen for few months..still bleeding. I then had total hystertomy-due to bleeding and thickened uterus.

Yup Denise,
    That is exactly why I asked about being on a estrogen blocker. Bleeding can be the cause of other things besides ones natural cycle. I just turned 50 last month, so I hope my monthly curse is gone.. LOL

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Yup Denise,
    That is exactly why I asked about being on a estrogen blocker. Bleeding can be the cause of other things besides ones natural cycle. I just turned 50 last month, so I hope my monthly curse is gone.. LOL

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Like everyone said
    Like everyone said call your doctor.It could be normal since you are young.I already had a hysteroctomy so I knew my periods shouldn't come back.I only needed to take tamox.No chemo or radiation.My friend though did have chemo.Within just a couple months her periods stopped but she was 48 when she started taking chemo. I think it is your young age but be on the safe side.Call your doctor.You may need to have a pap smear.

Lynn Smith
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    same with me
    I had the same thing happen to me. Definately tell your doctor. I was on tamoxifen at the time so everytime I would have any bleeding my doctor wanted to do a D&C. It went on for over a year and then stopped and started again when they switched me to arimidex. Then they added a montly Lupron shot which stopped the bleeding for now. I am 52 years old and was 44 when diagnosed.
  • disneyfan2008

Yup Denise,

Hugs,
    Lorrie

I am 52 now
    I had BC almost 4 yrs ago
  • disneyfan2008

Yup Denise,

Hugs,
    Lorrie

I am 52 now
    I had BC almost 4 yrs ago
  • disneyfan2008
    tko683 said:

same with me
    I had the same thing happen to me. Definately tell your doctor. I was on tamoxifen at the time so everytime I would have any bleeding my doctor wanted to do a D&C. It went on for over a year and then stopped and started again when they switched me to arimidex. Then they added a montly Lupron shot which stopped the bleeding for now. I am 52 years old and was 44 when diagnosed.

D & C each 6mths
    PRIOE to my surgery-I had internal ultra sound followed by D & C..then totall hysterectomy...
  • deeb111
    deeb111 Member Posts: 141 Member
    tamoxifen
    If you are on tamoxifen and you are bleeding call dr asap this should not happen they might want to make sure its your period and not something else so please call dr might be normal but we women now must take every thing serious so that we dont get so comfortable as to not pay attention and thats why we have these doctors