Pain in G-J port?

Hello all;

For the last few days I've had pretty major pain around the port of my G-J tube. No sign of infection, the tube didn't get yanked or anything (that I know of), and it doesn't hurt more or less when I'm feeding. It seems mechanical in nature, that is, I can make the pain mostly go away based on position, feeding/bowel movements are fine. Google indicates lots of people with this complaint, not sure if it's worth going to hospital over. Someone mentioned pressure on the ballon on the stomach wall.

Hurts mainly when I hiccup.

Breakthru pain meds do help a lot, but I don't like using the meds every day, would rather end the pain!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Lee in London

Comments

• TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Bandaids?
    Nick had to tape the Jtube down with bandaids to be comfortable. Not quite sure if the comfort was from reducing the possibility of a yank or if it was a added pressure on the disk. Maybe just getting that disk "tighter" to your body would be helpful?

Terry

Thinking of you! and hoping that the pain lessens.....
  • LeeinLondon
    LeeinLondon Member Posts: 103
    TerryV said:

Bandaids?
    Nick had to tape the Jtube down with bandaids to be comfortable. Not quite sure if the comfort was from reducing the possibility of a yank or if it was a added pressure on the disk. Maybe just getting that disk "tighter" to your body would be helpful?

Terry

Thinking of you! and hoping that the pain lessens.....

hi terry
    Thank you for advice terry but the position or movement of the tube doesn't seem to make any difference.. its possible that the pain is coming from my esophagus rather than the port.

- Lee
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Had all sorts of issues with
    Had all sorts of issues with the J tube. It migrated. A nursing person caused a problem. Had to have a re-insertion with a yucky tube stabilizer.

Bill laughs he had two navels following the second insertion. As much problems as we had, that j-tube kept him going. Yay ! For j-tube.

He had periodic pain, and we could never figure out what was causing it. Since you are under a different treatment regimen, I don't know if your pain has significance. Just wanted to let you know he had unknown intermittent pain.

Good luck! BMG
  • jim2011
    jim2011 Member Posts: 115
    tube pain
    surgeon told me to tape it so that it doesn't move around at all. mine always leaked and i changed the dressing twice per day. a few times gas actually came out of the hole around the tube. hiccups are gas related so go easy on foods that cause that. try gas-x strips. if there is no sign of infection try imobilizing the prick. Can you tell...I hated my tube.
    i have a scar where the tube was and it itches just thinking about it.
  • JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    I can't offer you any advice
    I can't offer you any advice as mine hurt from the second day it was implanted until well after it was removed. Just wanted to let you know I feel for you brother. I had the J-tube. If I recall correctly, your's is a G-Tube, right? In either case, pain is pain. I hope you get it resolved soon.