Been a long time,having new problems

Bill.S
Bill.S Member Posts: 177
3 1/2 yrs ago I had a mastomectomy and did a year of chemo.TCH. Recently I discovered a lump under my arm.
In the mean time I lost my job and insurance and money sooooooooo I am trying to get help through the County health dept. The doctor at the health dept. felt the lump and sent me for an ultrasound-----and NO I'm not pregnant----YET. They sent me to a free clinic in my city for further evaluation,since the health dept is not able to do a needle biopisy.The doctor there also felt the lump.But they have to refer me to yet another doctor to do the biopisy. Still waiting to be contacted but it looks like lymph node problems, from the ultrasound.
With NO money,NO job,No insurance--------where can I go from here if the biopisy is positive for CA???
Bill S

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-/
    Hi Bill, it has been a long time and although I do not like the lump news it is nice to see your face again. Right off of the top of my head I do not know where to go if it turns out to be cancerous. I will be keeping you in my prayers, please let us know what the outcome of the needle biopsy are. Have you contacted your local ACS for assistance info. I know in our community there is a program for financial help for those in need while in cancer treatment that was created my a local business there may be something similar in your area. Wishing you good results!

RE
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    RE said:

:-/
    Hi Bill, it has been a long time and although I do not like the lump news it is nice to see your face again. Right off of the top of my head I do not know where to go if it turns out to be cancerous. I will be keeping you in my prayers, please let us know what the outcome of the needle biopsy are. Have you contacted your local ACS for assistance info. I know in our community there is a program for financial help for those in need while in cancer treatment that was created my a local business there may be something similar in your area. Wishing you good results!

RE

Test results
    I guess that I will just have be pacient and wait to have the biopisy done and then wait for the test results. It is so different in the POOR world.
    Bill S
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Try some of these
    Hello Bill-
    Didn't know you before, so won't say welcome back, but under these circumstances, I wouldn't say it anyway.

These are some of the resources from ACS:

Each County has a County Medical Services Program. Check with your treatment center or social worker.

My Health Resource www.myhealthresource.org
    Help finding healthcare if you do not have health insurance

Uninsured Help Line www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs
    Help finding low-cost or no cost health care

Genentech Access To Care Foundation GenentechAccessSolutions.com
    Helps qualified persons with unmet medical needs who are uninsured or uninsured by payer denial and who meet specific criteria receive proper treatment.

Patient Access Network www.patientaccessnetwork.org
    Helps uninsured patients who cannot afford the out of pocket expenses for their treatment. Only certain cancers are included in this program.

And, of course, call ACS 1-800-ACS-2345.

Best of luck to you. Let us know the outcome.

Suzanne
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    In addition to ACS, check
    In addition to ACS, check with Komen and medicare. Also many states have special insurance funds for "the hard to insure" (translate that to mean those with high cost health issues).

I'm glad to hear you're not pregnant...I'm sure there would be NO coverage for that!

I'm sending my best wishes for you. Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Some counties have hospitals
    Some counties have hospitals who give care but costs depend on income. They have one here but you have to be a resident of that county. You might check with the clinics associated with universities. Sorry about the lump but it might just be a cyst. Good luck.

P.S. I forgot to mention if you are a veteran you can get health care/treatment through the VA.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Marcia527 said:

Some counties have hospitals
    Some counties have hospitals who give care but costs depend on income. They have one here but you have to be a resident of that county. You might check with the clinics associated with universities. Sorry about the lump but it might just be a cyst. Good luck.

P.S. I forgot to mention if you are a veteran you can get health care/treatment through the VA.

Health Care
    Hi Bill, I had no insurance, and would have all of my health care needs taken care of through my local clinic, however when I found out that I had Breast Cancer there is a program through medicade that would pay for my needs because I'm not married and was unemployed aT The time.
    Thanks too Bill Clinton, he had passed a bill for people with Breast Cancer, that they should be able too get the help that they need.
    Maybe you could try that?
    Karie
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Problems?
    Bill, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job and insurance with this new lump showing up. I'm hoping that it turns out to be nothing, but you won't know till you have the biopsey done. It is a "Catch-22" situation. I also know that some Breast Cancer finational help are for women only. What to do if your a MAN! There was a case where a man was denied health care for breast cancer because he was a "male". I pray that you will be able to find some help with some of these web sites that these wonderful Pink Ladies have suggested to you. Good luck with your fight with this beast & your fight with your health care issue, too. Please, keep us informed of your situations. I need someone I can talk to here also.
    Sincerely, A Pink Brother, Robert.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806

Problems?
    Bill, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job and insurance with this new lump showing up. I'm hoping that it turns out to be nothing, but you won't know till you have the biopsey done. It is a "Catch-22" situation. I also know that some Breast Cancer finational help are for women only. What to do if your a MAN! There was a case where a man was denied health care for breast cancer because he was a "male". I pray that you will be able to find some help with some of these web sites that these wonderful Pink Ladies have suggested to you. Good luck with your fight with this beast & your fight with your health care issue, too. Please, keep us informed of your situations. I need someone I can talk to here also.
    Sincerely, A Pink Brother, Robert.

Bill
    Bill, I have no information that could be helpful. Just want to say I'll be praying that the biopsy comes back with great results, and should that not be the case, please "fight like a girl" (sorry, no offense intended, but it applies to everyone on this site involved in the fight as far as I'm concerned) and just keep knocking on doors til someone gives you the answers you want.

Prayers and angels surrounding you.

marge
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Bill.S said:

Test results
    I guess that I will just have be pacient and wait to have the biopisy done and then wait for the test results. It is so different in the POOR world.
    Bill S

Bill,
    I know here our local

Bill,
    I know here our local hospital has clinics for people w/o insurance.Most of my doctor's participate. Hopefully there is one near you? Also, while I have insurance I could not afford all the bills and applied for a program at my hospital for people who cannot afford the cost. I was forgiven all but $60 for 2 surgeries and 1 sterotec procedure. While this is only the hospital cost, it was a help. I'm praying that you won't need any of this info. I can't imagine what you are going through in this woman's hell~ Good luck to you and please keep us up to date on what is going on.

Angela
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Are you a Veteran?
    If you are, get in contact with your closest VA office or facility. Unfortunately, so many don't realize that health care can be gotten through VA for any Veteran even if the problem is not 'service connected'. I could not have asked for better care than I've gotten - some is done at VA facilities but all my Chemos, Surgery and Rads were outsourced to the local facility.

Susan
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Rague said:

Are you a Veteran?
    If you are, get in contact with your closest VA office or facility. Unfortunately, so many don't realize that health care can be gotten through VA for any Veteran even if the problem is not 'service connected'. I could not have asked for better care than I've gotten - some is done at VA facilities but all my Chemos, Surgery and Rads were outsourced to the local facility.

Susan

Perhaps a clinical trial? I dunno what state you're in but there about 152 clinical trials for male breast cancer; maybe one of them is nearby..

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search