Results on Tumor Markers

LoveBabyJesus
LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
Hi lovely sisters,

I just wanted to let you all know my tumor marker was a 14. My Dr. thinks that was normal so I take it. Not sure if this test is accurate, but I take it too. Anything available I can use, I'll take advantage of. :) Thank you all for your love and support.

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Congrats! My oncologist
    Congrats! My oncologist doesn't do this test, but, I am so glad that yours came back normal!

Hugs, Debby
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    DebbyM said:

Congrats! My oncologist
    Congrats! My oncologist doesn't do this test, but, I am so glad that yours came back normal!

Hugs, Debby

Sounds good although I'm not
    Sounds good although I'm not familiar with the test either. Congratulations!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Pam5 said:

Sounds good although I'm not
    Sounds good although I'm not familiar with the test either. Congratulations!

My oncologist
    My oncologist said I didn't need the test.I had asked her about my blood work I get every month and if it was checking my markers.She said NO your cancer was non invasive and Stage 0.I thought that's fine.I was comfortable.BUT in July with my 2 year anniversary a tumor was found.I called my oncologist to ask for a order for a marker test.It was fine but I still didn't know about the tumor till later.It was benign. My plan is to get one every 6 months now.She said if I wanted them she would order them whenever I decided.I am all for it even though the tests aren't conclusive.

Lynn Smith
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

My oncologist
    My oncologist said I didn't need the test.I had asked her about my blood work I get every month and if it was checking my markers.She said NO your cancer was non invasive and Stage 0.I thought that's fine.I was comfortable.BUT in July with my 2 year anniversary a tumor was found.I called my oncologist to ask for a order for a marker test.It was fine but I still didn't know about the tumor till later.It was benign. My plan is to get one every 6 months now.She said if I wanted them she would order them whenever I decided.I am all for it even though the tests aren't conclusive.

Lynn Smith

Test.?
    Or not to test...I know different doctors have different opinions on the tumor marker test...my oncologist does the test...and from my personal experience it was correct...when I found the clavicle swollen lymph node, my blood work showed my tumor markers had gone up...and it proved to be a return of my bc...a benign tumor wouldn't raise the numbers...I have blood work the end of this month and hopefully the numbers have gone down since I've finished another 5 1/2 weeks of radiation and on oral chemo....my oncologist told me two years ago that the test isn't always reliable but at this time it's all they have other than scans, etc...one would think with the millions upon millions of dollars spent on bc research a more reliable test would have been discovered....

Hugs to all,
    Nancy
  • LoveBabyJesus
    MAJW said:

Test.?
    Or not to test...I know different doctors have different opinions on the tumor marker test...my oncologist does the test...and from my personal experience it was correct...when I found the clavicle swollen lymph node, my blood work showed my tumor markers had gone up...and it proved to be a return of my bc...a benign tumor wouldn't raise the numbers...I have blood work the end of this month and hopefully the numbers have gone down since I've finished another 5 1/2 weeks of radiation and on oral chemo....my oncologist told me two years ago that the test isn't always reliable but at this time it's all they have other than scans, etc...one would think with the millions upon millions of dollars spent on bc research a more reliable test would have been discovered....

Hugs to all,
    Nancy

HI Nancy -- I agree with
    HI Nancy -- I agree with your last comment - you'd think we would have better screening methods.

I know that even when the numbers are low, it doesn't mean there's no tumor present. I guess this is specific to the tumor we originally got? So if there is a different type of bc present, it wont show? My assumption.

I take the test because is one of those things I'd rather do than not do. But I also know it comes with anxiety.

Best luck to you. Please keep us posted on your results. My prayers are with you.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    MAJW said:

Test.?

Hugs to all,
    Nancy

Great news on your tumor
    Great news on your tumor markers!

Hugs, Lex
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Yay! Great news on the results!
    My MO doesn't do tumor markers either and I too am frustrated that there is not a BC specific tumor marker. Makes me feel like I am just hanging out here with no way to keep track.

Again, congrats on the excellent results!

Jennifer
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    grams2jc said:

My MO doesn't do tumor markers either and I too am frustrated that there is not a BC specific tumor marker. Makes me feel like I am just hanging out here with no way to keep track.

Jennifer

YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!
    Great news!!! Yes... take it to the Bank. Celebrate the positives!!!

Congratulations!!!

Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    Mitzi333 said:

YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)

Glad to hear the good news
    Thanks for sharing your good news. I agree that we have to take advantage of anything we can use to test.

Hugs,

Ticky
  • jlflippin
    jlflippin Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ladies, This is my first time here.
    Tumor markers
    I had this test done before they found the lump in my left breast and they ignored it, and even though it was a 23 my doctor didn't feel it was anything to worry about. Now 4 months later when I have my mammogram they found a lump in my left breast that is 10mm x 8mm. I'm torn between anger, grief and fear.

Do I go ahead and have a doulbe mastectomy? Seeing as I had cancer in my right breast in 2001 or just go with the lumpectomy and wait to see if it re-occurs in another 10 years. I had lumpectomy, chemo and 26 rounds of radiation in 2001.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    grams2jc said:

Jennifer

Fantastic! So glad you got
    Fantastic! So glad you got this good news!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)

Woohoo! Congrats!

Woohoo! Congrats!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    jlflippin said:

Hi Ladies, This is my first time here.
    Tumor markers
    I had this test done before they found the lump in my left breast and they ignored it, and even though it was a 23 my doctor didn't feel it was anything to worry about. Now 4 months later when I have my mammogram they found a lump in my left breast that is 10mm x 8mm. I'm torn between anger, grief and fear.

Do I go ahead and have a doulbe mastectomy? Seeing as I had cancer in my right breast in 2001 or just go with the lumpectomy and wait to see if it re-occurs in another 10 years. I had lumpectomy, chemo and 26 rounds of radiation in 2001.

Dear sister -- I'm sorry you
    Dear sister -- I'm sorry you have to deal with this again after 10 years! I think a surgery decision is very personal. I know that the radiation plus surgery equals the breast removal, according to stats. But again, it's a personal decision.

Tumor markers are not 100% accurate, and I believe anything less than 30 is considered "normal", but I'm not even sure if these tumor markers are only related to the breast cancer you already had. For example, if you had a, estrogen receptor tumor, then doctors can check for tumor markers for that one. But if you develop a triple negative, not too sure tumor markers would catch it as this was not the original tumor. I am not sure if this is accurate.

I suggest you start your own post about your case so people can respond. Right now you're responding to my post and you may not get everyone's responses.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Dear sister -- I'm sorry you
    Dear sister -- I'm sorry you have to deal with this again after 10 years! I think a surgery decision is very personal. I know that the radiation plus surgery equals the breast removal, according to stats. But again, it's a personal decision.

Tumor markers are not 100% accurate, and I believe anything less than 30 is considered "normal", but I'm not even sure if these tumor markers are only related to the breast cancer you already had. For example, if you had a, estrogen receptor tumor, then doctors can check for tumor markers for that one. But if you develop a triple negative, not too sure tumor markers would catch it as this was not the original tumor. I am not sure if this is accurate.

I suggest you start your own post about your case so people can respond. Right now you're responding to my post and you may not get everyone's responses.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

My marker if
    My marker is if I remember in the 20's.LOW.To me I was told it ws fine.Anything above 32 wasn't.A tumor had been found but wanted to know what my marker was.My tumor several weeks later was benign.I see where some tumor markers are in the teens etc.So I'm not really thrilled having mine in the 20's.I prefer lower.So now after 2 years dx and never having a marker test till now I want one every 6 months.My oncologist said whatever I wanted.Just let her know. She agteed in the beginning with Stage 0 I didn't need one but she will do as I wish.

It's peace of mind than not doing the test at all.Sure it can be inconclusive but still better to have the test.Keeps us from worrying.

Lynn Smith