Arimidex, Herceptin & Radiation ALL AT ONCE !!!

BetsyJane
BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
My oncologist wants me to take Arimidex, Herceptin and radiation all at once.

Here's my history. 1st operation in January to take my cancer out. 2nd operation to put port in, 3rd operation to clear my margins and just had a 4th operation two weeks ago to take out microcalifications (which were benign). Had eight rounds of chemo (AC followed by T). Last rounds of chemo included herceptin.

I am HER2+. I finished my AC followed by T chemo in June. I am getting triple doses of Herceptin every three weeks for one year.

My oncologist insists that I start taking Arimidex along with the Herceptin treatments and radiaiton --- ALL AT ONCE. I told him I wanted to wait till my radiation treatments were over before I started Arimidex. I don't want to get all three things at one time, that being RADIATION, TRIPLE DOSES OF HERCEPTIN and ARIMIDEX. Usually Arimidex, Femora or Taxomifin is followed AFTER radiation.

I spoke with my surgeon about this. I asked her if she felt I could wait to take the Arimidex.... to which she replied "to take Arimidex" AFTER my radiation. She is understanding and knows that I am kinda worn out from all of this.....

On the other hand, my oncologist is only nice if you follow his explicit instructions.

To make a long story short, has anyone ever taken these three things all at once? Herceptin, radiation AND hormonal medication (such as Arimidex)?

You have all been so helpful. Please let me know your thoughts. I so appreciate this discussion board and thank God I found it.

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Best Possible Protection
    Dear Betsy Jane,

You want to give yourself the best advantage to not have a recurrence or morph into stage IV. If your oncologist believes that this will give you the best protection, why are you fighting him?

I am not HER2 and therefore did not have herceptin. I did do Arimidex during radiation with no adverse effects. More than likely you won't notice any difference taking Arimidex with herceptin along with radiation.

You sound very weary of the whole process and have every reason to be. Just remember that at your stage it will end, so I would follow the oncologist recommendation. He is in the business of cancer and you are paying for his expertise in this field.

Best wishes to you,

Doris
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Betsy Jane
    I was on Abraxane, Tamoxifen, and Zometa, while I was getting radiation this last time. And my first dose of radiation, I was on Tamoxifen and Zometa. I assumed they were being as aggressive as possible. The one thing that was hard was not knowing what was causing what side effects with everything going at once!

But remember, you do have the final decision after all it is your body!

I wish you the best.

Carol
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Tamoxifen and Rads
    I did not do Herceptin but I started Tamoxifen 2 weeks into Rads and would have started sooner but the mail order pharmacy messed up my script.

My RO thought it was good to start the meds during Rads so he could help out with any immediate questions or side effects.

Good luck, I don't know if I would have the patience for a grumpy oncologist.

Jennifer
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Femara during rads
    I started rads one week after last Taxol and one week after starting rads I started Femara. Made sense to me - no longer doing chemo so there is nothing still 'fighting' cancer throughout body so I wanted to get going on Femara to do what it can to help fight. (I'm HER2-, so didn't need Herceptin)

Susan
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    SIROD said:

Best Possible Protection
    Dear Betsy Jane,

You want to give yourself the best advantage to not have a recurrence or morph into stage IV. If your oncologist believes that this will give you the best protection, why are you fighting him?

I am not HER2 and therefore did not have herceptin. I did do Arimidex during radiation with no adverse effects. More than likely you won't notice any difference taking Arimidex with herceptin along with radiation.

You sound very weary of the whole process and have every reason to be. Just remember that at your stage it will end, so I would follow the oncologist recommendation. He is in the business of cancer and you are paying for his expertise in this field.

Best wishes to you,

Doris

I took rads only, no other
    I took rads only, no other treatment during them. I am wishing you the best of luck!

Hugs, Debby
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Something similar....
    I am also Her2 positive and got Herceptin every 3 weeks. I had 3 surgeries; initial one, then one to get clear margins, then port placement. 6 rounds of Taxotere and Carboplatin, followed by 33 radiation treatments. The Herceptin was weekly during the TC, then went to every 3 weeks for a year. I started radiation on 9/2/10 and Tamoxifen on 9/7/10 so I got Herceptin, radiation and Tamoxifen at the same time! In 11/2010, I had yet another surgery to remove ovaries (recommended since I'm BRCA positive). After that, they switched me to Arimidex since I was then post-menopausal. I don't like the stiffness/achy feeling/pain with the Arimidex but my doc has convinced me to fight with everything I got, so that's what I'm doing. I want no regrets! I hope you decide what's right for you. It's really up to you. But I would encourage you to listen to your onc.
    Chris