a wonderful Thanksgiving

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
this is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend....so much earlier than state-side.....

we had twenty friends and family for traditional turkey dinner,,,,mashed potatoes, squash, green beans, homemade bread, coleslaw,stuffing, cranberries and endless pies

last night my dear neighbour died of throat cancer...a blow to us all but still endlessly thankful...so many blessings ....every cancer death is a kick in the head for us

but on we go.....sorry must be blissed out on turkey and tryphtofan

maggie

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hi, Maggie.

Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a great celebration! Thanksgiving is a very special holiday to me, because I was diagnosed Thanksgiving week and had my colon resection the day after Thanksgiving. So, every year I'm reminded to be grateful for the tremendous gift of being alive. I'll be celebrating 4 years this November!

Enjoy your bliss!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • thingy45
    thingy45 Member Posts: 632 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hi, Maggie.

Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a great celebration! Thanksgiving is a very special holiday to me, because I was diagnosed Thanksgiving week and had my colon resection the day after Thanksgiving. So, every year I'm reminded to be grateful for the tremendous gift of being alive. I'll be celebrating 4 years this November!

Enjoy your bliss!

*hugs*
    Gail

Happy Thanksgiving
    I too live in Canada and we will have our traditional thanks giving dinner on Sunday. We will be 15 people strong. Family and friends. Lots to be thankful for.
    I wish all the Canadians on this board a fabulous Thanksgiving!!
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    I was wondering if you had
    I was wondering if you had stuffing. What do you put in the stuffing and how do you prepare the cranberries?
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    ketziah35 said:

I was wondering if you had
    I was wondering if you had stuffing. What do you put in the stuffing and how do you prepare the cranberries?

Happy Thanksgiving all Canada Friends...
    Do you do yams? Sweet Potatoe recipes??? Other than pumpkin...what is the fav?

Jennie
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Maggie
    Maggie,
    Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. It is difficult when we lose those we love, right now especially difficult when it is to cancer.

Hugs.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Maggie
    So glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It is always wonderful when family and friends can get together around a meal, talk, laugh and enjoy each others company. So happy for you.
    I'm sorry about your neighbor, each time cancer takes another, it's a sad day indeed.
    Hugs at you,
    Winter Marie
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    ((((((mags))))))))
    Ron.
  • maglets
    ron50 said:

((((((mags))))))))
    Ron.

food
    haha funny you should mention stuffing Ketz....my best friend is originally from St Louis....and she always makes the stuffing....I do the bird and she makes it outside of the bird....we tend to call it dressing.

for cranberries i just boil them add sugar and then sometimes orange juice or peel

Jennie we usually have turnip rather than yams....and we always call them sweet potatoes...even though they are different veg....this year there was a casserole of mashed squash mixed with carrots in butter and cream....we always have white potatoes mashed and a cole slaw for sure....dessert is always pie and there might be cheesecake....

funny the regional differences...

the weather was warm and we were able to be outside until dinner time

mags
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Sorry for the Loss of Your Friend
    Sorry for the Loss of Your Friend. We celebrated our neighbors 75th birthday who two years ago was diagnosed with bone cancer. His brother-in-law who turned 65 a few days before was diagnosed with colon cancer one year ago and I was diagnosed at age 59 with colon cancer one year ago and we all are so Thankful to be alive and NED at this time. We celebrate Thanksgiving with you and celebrate being here and to be able to communicate our good fortune to provide Hope for those who are in treatment.
    Prayers for all of us,
    NB
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Sorry for the Loss of Your Friend
    Sorry for the Loss of Your Friend. We celebrated our neighbors 75th birthday who two years ago was diagnosed with bone cancer. His brother-in-law who turned 65 a few days before was diagnosed with colon cancer one year ago and I was diagnosed at age 59 with colon cancer one year ago and we all are so Thankful to be alive and NED at this time. We celebrate Thanksgiving with you and celebrate being here and to be able to communicate our good fortune to provide Hope for those who are in treatment.
    Prayers for all of us,
    NB

Mags feel so sorry the loose of your friend,
    But try to concentrate in family and the friend who are with you this days !
    Hope you got a beautiful day!
    Love you!
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    maglets said:

food
    haha funny you should mention stuffing Ketz....my best friend is originally from St Louis....and she always makes the stuffing....I do the bird and she makes it outside of the bird....we tend to call it dressing.

for cranberries i just boil them add sugar and then sometimes orange juice or peel

Jennie we usually have turnip rather than yams....and we always call them sweet potatoes...even though they are different veg....this year there was a casserole of mashed squash mixed with carrots in butter and cream....we always have white potatoes mashed and a cole slaw for sure....dessert is always pie and there might be cheesecake....

funny the regional differences...

the weather was warm and we were able to be outside until dinner time

mags

I was wondering what the
    I was wondering what the bread filler was. I know it isn't cornbread!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Great
    Happy Thanksgiving. Sounds like you had a great time. You eat all the same things we do. Sure sounds nummy.

Kim
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Gobble Gobble for the Great White North....
    Hey Maggie

Sounds wonderful:)

I'm sorry about the passing of your friend. Difficult at best. But glad you were able to celebrate despite the tragedy and enjoy the company of your other company.

It's hard to imagine Thanksgiving in Texas the first week of October. Temps have still been in the upper 80's and just won't quite give way. Nights are getting better there to get out and move around though. Hope is finally coming to our drought ridden state.

Last night and today, we are finally seeing some of that thing they call rain - it is nice and steady - that easy going sort of rain. We sure needed it.

The best to you!

-Craig
  • alexinlv
    alexinlv Member Posts: 194 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving! It's
    Happy Thanksgiving! It's our favorite holidays in my family. I'm looking forward to it this year.
    So sorry about your neighbor!

Enjoy the leftovers!
    Alex
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    alexinlv said:

Happy Thanksgiving! It's
    Happy Thanksgiving! It's our favorite holidays in my family. I'm looking forward to it this year.
    So sorry about your neighbor!

Enjoy the leftovers!
    Alex

Canadian Thanksgiving
    Hi: We had our thanksgiving dinner yesterday with friends (my family lives out west so I couldn't get together with them). Traditional dinner - fresh turkey (not frozen), sweet potatoes, regular white mashed potatoes, cauliflower with cheese sauce, green beans, cranberry sauce, wonderful stuffing - seems to me it was bread cubes, rice, cranberries, pecans?, then both pumpkin pie and pecan pie for dessert. Of course white wine! We ate for hours - started out by the pool as it was almost 80 during the day (about 25C), then moved inside for the real event.
    Brussels sprouts and turnip are pretty traditional, too. There is a difference between what is served in western Canada, central-eastern Canada, the Maritimes, and Quebec, so it gets confusing! But turkey reigns!
    Cheryl
  • maglets
    westie66 said:

Canadian Thanksgiving
    Hi: We had our thanksgiving dinner yesterday with friends (my family lives out west so I couldn't get together with them). Traditional dinner - fresh turkey (not frozen), sweet potatoes, regular white mashed potatoes, cauliflower with cheese sauce, green beans, cranberry sauce, wonderful stuffing - seems to me it was bread cubes, rice, cranberries, pecans?, then both pumpkin pie and pecan pie for dessert. Of course white wine! We ate for hours - started out by the pool as it was almost 80 during the day (about 25C), then moved inside for the real event.
    Brussels sprouts and turnip are pretty traditional, too. There is a difference between what is served in western Canada, central-eastern Canada, the Maritimes, and Quebec, so it gets confusing! But turkey reigns!
    Cheryl

fresh
    yes fresh turkey makes a huge difference....there seems to be a fad for deep frying your bird but I have to say that does not appeal to me

Cheryl I have to tell you my table story.....my dining room seats 8 so like lots of families you drag in the extra tables and just join them on. This year i decided to paint my extra tables in bright cheery high gloss turquoise and all the chairs in yellow.....it was all sooooo pretty with yellow flowers and napkins.....except.......

when 20 guests sat down it was apparent that the paint was not cured and all the linens and wine glasses and guests elbows were sticking to the table.....thank goodness the chairs were nicely dry or my guests might have walked.....hahaha lesson learned.....we did have fun

maggie
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    maglets said:

fresh
    yes fresh turkey makes a huge difference....there seems to be a fad for deep frying your bird but I have to say that does not appeal to me

Cheryl I have to tell you my table story.....my dining room seats 8 so like lots of families you drag in the extra tables and just join them on. This year i decided to paint my extra tables in bright cheery high gloss turquoise and all the chairs in yellow.....it was all sooooo pretty with yellow flowers and napkins.....except.......

when 20 guests sat down it was apparent that the paint was not cured and all the linens and wine glasses and guests elbows were sticking to the table.....thank goodness the chairs were nicely dry or my guests might have walked.....hahaha lesson learned.....we did have fun

maggie

Thanksgiving Paint
    Gorgeous but hilarious!
    Cheryl