Is it possible to have surgery for EC after Chemo/Rads - please help

mardigras
mardigras Member Posts: 215 Member
Hi everyone,
We are still waiting for Robs treatment to start here in Gran Canaria.
The Onco says that the planned treatment is Chemo first to halt the growth
and then Chemo/Rads.
After that an operation to remove the tumour when it has shrunk to a small enough
sizs to remove.
I have been keeping in touch with a cancer nurse in the UK and he stunned me with the
news that after Chemo/Rads it is not possible to have EC surgery.
Please can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks so much
Hugs
Marci x

Comments

• chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Perfectly Normal!!
    Marci,
    MOST people today have chemo and/or chemo and radiation BEFORE having surgery to remove their cancer. I don't know WHO told you this!!

The standard protocol used today is to first shrink the tumor(s) as much as possible with rounds of chemotherapy and/or radiation, and then surgically remove the tumors, whether this involves a MIE or IL or THE type of surgery, removing parts of the stomach and/or esophagus.

Then it is easier to successfully remove the cancer.
    This is also often followed up with "clean-up" chemotherapy after surgery, if the thoracic surgeon or oncologist feel it is required, to kill any errant cancerous cells that may have escaped removal during surgery.

Please be calm and know that you are headed in the right direction to be first doing chemotherapy and radiation before surgery.

Please feel free to post ANY questions that you have.
    There are MANY great people here who will see your post by morning and many replies will follow.

May God bless you and guide you on your journey.
    -Eric
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    FYI Surgery usually follows chemo/radiation
    My husband had combination chemo therapy and radiation. Waited a few weeks to regain strength, etc., and had IL esophagectomy. 18 months post op and last scan showed no evidence of disease.

Surely, the person who told you that there is not surgery after chemo/rad was thinking of another condition.

Hopefully, your husband's treatment will go well! BMG
  • mardigras

Perfectly Normal!!
    Marci,
    MOST people today have chemo and/or chemo and radiation BEFORE having surgery to remove their cancer. I don't know WHO told you this!!

The standard protocol used today is to first shrink the tumor(s) as much as possible with rounds of chemotherapy and/or radiation, and then surgically remove the tumors, whether this involves a MIE or IL or THE type of surgery, removing parts of the stomach and/or esophagus.

Then it is easier to successfully remove the cancer.
    This is also often followed up with "clean-up" chemotherapy after surgery, if the thoracic surgeon or oncologist feel it is required, to kill any errant cancerous cells that may have escaped removal during surgery.

Please be calm and know that you are headed in the right direction to be first doing chemotherapy and radiation before surgery.

Please feel free to post ANY questions that you have.
    There are MANY great people here who will see your post by morning and many replies will follow.

May God bless you and guide you on your journey.
    -Eric

Thanks Eric
    Hello Eric,
    Thanks so much for answering so quickly for me.
    I have booked flights back to the UK anyway in the hope of a second opinion.
    I can't say that we have full confidence with the Oncologist or Surgeon here
    so it is probably just as well.Thanks also for your good wishes. The next time
    I post, I will be in the UK and I am hoping that the waiting lists are not too
    long.
    Warmest regards to you.
    Bless you,
    Marci x
  • mardigras
    BMGky said:

FYI Surgery usually follows chemo/radiation
    My husband had combination chemo therapy and radiation. Waited a few weeks to regain strength, etc., and had IL esophagectomy. 18 months post op and last scan showed no evidence of disease.

Surely, the person who told you that there is not surgery after chemo/rad was thinking of another condition.

Hopefully, your husband's treatment will go well! BMG

Thank you BMGky
    Thanks so much for your post.
    I am not sure what he was thinking, but I have booked flights back to the UK on the basis
    of his comments. A second opinion wouldn't go amiss anyway.
    I am so pleased that your husband has come through this awful ordeal and is keeping well.
    May God keep you both.
    Hugs and prayers.
    Marci x
  • Gatoraid
    Gatoraid Member Posts: 66
    Surgery after Chemo & Radiation
    The information that you received is incorrect. I had 2 rounds of chemo simaltaneous to 28 days of radiation and 6 weeks later I had MIE surgery. Unless there is some special situation in your case that would rule out MIE, that is definitely the way to go. In my mind the nurse was incorrect.