expectations of Bilateral with DIEP flap reconstruction

I remember what the doctor has said, but I want to hear from someone who has gone through it. What should I expect while in hospital? What is the aftermath of bilateral with DIEP flap reconstruction? How hard will it be to 'feel' normal again with no sensations?

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Diva
    I had a bilateral with DIEP reconstruction.

I had a 4 day stay at the hospital. The first 2 days were pretty uncomfortable as the room temp has to be warm since it's considered a transplant and warmth aids in getting the blood flow to the newly connected veins and ateries.

I stayed home from work for 8 weeks. I took it slow. I was very pleased with the turn out. I had nipple reconstruction and tatoos for the areola. I have some permanent numbness on the affected side (right) but overall all, aside from nipple sensation, I can certainly "feel" my breasts. I have about 70% sensation. I'm glad I did it.

Just take it slow and follow the directions given. I hope all turns out well. Don't forget to crank that Pink Bus so we can all be there with you!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    My DIEP
    Diva, I had a DIEP on the left side in March 2011. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I didn't like that I couldn't shampoo my hair. One day the nurse did an 'in-bed' shampoo, but the stuff gets left in the hair and I don't think it improved much. I had a 'Doppler' machine on me the whole time, it is a couple of sensors going into the breast that tell the nurses whether new blood flow is good... and it was. They just wake you up a lot to take the readings. Overall, I was pretty comfortable, the nursing was great, and pain meds were effective. I pretty much realized by the end of the hospital stay I had to figure out how to get out of bed myself, or they wouldn't let me go home. So I did.

I don't have feeling in that left 'breast' now. Some parts seem to get a bit cool, as the blood circulation there must be weaker. It's taken about 6 total months to have it feel totally healed, so that I don't worry as much about bumping it. I have feeling around the edges, when my old skin was, and it makes it feel 'funny'. My tummy also still feels a bit stretched, I really don't like doing sit ups. I had been told I would be 'bent over' for a week after the surgery, but I found that to not be the case, standing was no problem. But I've not used my stomach muscles the same since. Maybe some day I will. I do ride my bike a lot, no problems there, and I walk a lot, no problems there. Also, when I went home, I had 3 drains on me. I had my daughter with me a full week at home helping me to the shower and whatever I needed. You are going to need someone with you at home.

And following the DIEP, I've had a breast lift on the other side to make them 'even'. I think I may have lost nipple sensation there as well. I wish I hadn't.

Having a new breast has definitely made me feel 'nearly normal'. After the mastectomy, I felt like it was an amputation... and at least now I don't feel that way.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    KathyLQ said:

My DIEP
    Diva, I had a DIEP on the left side in March 2011. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I didn't like that I couldn't shampoo my hair. One day the nurse did an 'in-bed' shampoo, but the stuff gets left in the hair and I don't think it improved much. I had a 'Doppler' machine on me the whole time, it is a couple of sensors going into the breast that tell the nurses whether new blood flow is good... and it was. They just wake you up a lot to take the readings. Overall, I was pretty comfortable, the nursing was great, and pain meds were effective. I pretty much realized by the end of the hospital stay I had to figure out how to get out of bed myself, or they wouldn't let me go home. So I did.

I don't have feeling in that left 'breast' now. Some parts seem to get a bit cool, as the blood circulation there must be weaker. It's taken about 6 total months to have it feel totally healed, so that I don't worry as much about bumping it. I have feeling around the edges, when my old skin was, and it makes it feel 'funny'. My tummy also still feels a bit stretched, I really don't like doing sit ups. I had been told I would be 'bent over' for a week after the surgery, but I found that to not be the case, standing was no problem. But I've not used my stomach muscles the same since. Maybe some day I will. I do ride my bike a lot, no problems there, and I walk a lot, no problems there. Also, when I went home, I had 3 drains on me. I had my daughter with me a full week at home helping me to the shower and whatever I needed. You are going to need someone with you at home.

And following the DIEP, I've had a breast lift on the other side to make them 'even'. I think I may have lost nipple sensation there as well. I wish I hadn't.

Having a new breast has definitely made me feel 'nearly normal'. After the mastectomy, I felt like it was an amputation... and at least now I don't feel that way.

I cannot add anything new
    Good I was able to swim and use normal wear for it, exactly the same as I used before diagnosis. However three years after I do have other than "no sensations" problems and side effects from Chemo and radiation treatment as well as lymphedema from lymph nodes removal. there is a new technique which has become available in 2010, when lymph nodes are transplanted along with tummy tissue, I wish I could have it done.
    Good luck with your surgery
  • diva_in_shock48
    diva_in_shock48 Member Posts: 8
    sea60 said:

Hi Diva
    I had a bilateral with DIEP reconstruction.

I had a 4 day stay at the hospital. The first 2 days were pretty uncomfortable as the room temp has to be warm since it's considered a transplant and warmth aids in getting the blood flow to the newly connected veins and ateries.

I stayed home from work for 8 weeks. I took it slow. I was very pleased with the turn out. I had nipple reconstruction and tatoos for the areola. I have some permanent numbness on the affected side (right) but overall all, aside from nipple sensation, I can certainly "feel" my breasts. I have about 70% sensation. I'm glad I did it.

Just take it slow and follow the directions given. I hope all turns out well. Don't forget to crank that Pink Bus so we can all be there with you!

Hugs,

Sylvia

thanks
    Thank you so much for responding....it's given me a better sense of what to expect...I will keep you posted.

Redell
  • diva_in_shock48
    diva_in_shock48 Member Posts: 8
    KathyLQ said:

My DIEP

Thanks Kathy
    since I'm having both done, I guess it will feel 'funny' on both sides. I do regret losing the nipple sensation though...but hey, things could be worse. Thanks for your response.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Hi, I had a DIEP flap
    Hi, I had a DIEP flap reconstruction on the left only in Jan. of 2010. I am about to have the final reconstruction, schedule for this friday 10/14. The plastic surgeon wanted to wait until I was done with Herceptin before completing it.

It is uncomfortable for a few days and I would recommend having someone at home to help you out. Some women suggest a recliner to sleep in for when you get home. I can understand where this will be very helpful because it was not easy getting in and out of bed.

Admittedly a year and a half after surgery I still don't have complete sensation in my stomach. The breast that was removed, also doesn't have complete sensation but it is much better than right afterwards. It took a couple of months before I could comfortably lift my arm above my head. I feel pretty normal, I think one's idea or notion of normal begins to shift once embarking on this journey, a new normal is established.

I am happy that I had this surgery. I do have a breast that looks and feels more natural and it survived chemo and radiation really well. I have lost 43 lbs since end of chemo and the recon. breast lost just a little fat.

Good luck with your surgery.