ARIMIDEX - 50,000 units ot Vitamin D to prevent debilitating pain - A MUST READ

BetsyJane
BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
For those of you taking Arimidex, please read the information below. I am so excited about this new study. I was petrified to take Arimidex after reading about horrible painful side effects. After reading this report and watching the short video, I have decided to take the Arimidex but will be asking my doctor to prescribe 50,000 units of Vitamin D and see what happens.

Is anyone on 50,000 units of Vitamin D? Has it helped? Please let me know your thoughts ladies. Thank you and God Bless.

To watch short video: Google: KSDK.COM - go to the Topic HEALTH NEWS - Click on 4th Video "Vitamin D easing painful side effect of Breast Cancer".

By Kay Quinn Healthbeat Reporter

St. Louis (KSDK) - Here's a follow-up to an important Vitamin D study we first told you about.

Local doctors now know how to prevent the debilitating pain that some breast cancer patients experience.

Post-menopausal women who've had breast cancer are frequently prescribed a drug called Arimidex to lower their risk of the cancer coming back.

But it has an unfortunate side effect.

"My knees hurt, my ankles, my joints, especially my hands hurt to the point that I couldn't button my blouses," said Marla Klopmeyer, a breast cancer survivor.

Now, the results of a local research trial could ease those achy joints.

"We are very, very excited," said Dr. Antonella Rastelli, a researcher at Washington University School of Medicine and a physician at Siteman Cancer Center.

Dr. Rastelli studied local breast cancer survivors and proved those given 50,000 units of Vitamin D-2 a week had significantly less pain while taking Arimidex.

"This is a very, very promising result because we may be able to offer something that is safe, easy, not expensive and would help patients stay on their very, very important drug that has very good outcome for breast cancer patients," said Dr. Rastelli.

Klopmeyer was in the study, but believes she was taking the placebo.

She says her joint pain didn't go away until after the study ended and she was then allowed to take Vitamin D.

"My quality of life has improved, I Zumba five times a week," said Klopmeyer. "I walk and feel like I should."

Dr. Rastelli says what's still not well understood is why it works.

"We don't know exactly what's the mechanism of action," said Dr. Rastelli.

But she says the important thing is that doctors now have something to ease the pain of patients taking a drug that works to keep their cancer away.

KSDK Television Channel 5

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Betsy Jane
    Hi,

My doctor prescribes a Vitamin D and it did absolutely nothing to help with joint and bone pain from Femara which is a similar drug to Arimidex.

I would do more research on this topic. I have always used Vitamin D prescribed or not. I didn't have joint or bone pain while on Arimidex. I am not certain why.

It is not a given that you will have this side effect yourself. One never knows what the side effects of a drug will be until one uses it.

Best,

Doris
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    SIROD said:

Betsy Jane
    Hi,

My doctor prescribes a Vitamin D and it did absolutely nothing to help with joint and bone pain from Femara which is a similar drug to Arimidex.

I would do more research on this topic. I have always used Vitamin D prescribed or not. I didn't have joint or bone pain while on Arimidex. I am not certain why.

It is not a given that you will have this side effect yourself. One never knows what the side effects of a drug will be until one uses it.

Best,

Doris

The benefits of taking 50,000 units of Vitamin D
    Hi Sirod,

You stated you didn't have joint pain from Arimidex but did have joint pain from Femara? I know they are very similiar. Did your doctors switch you to Femara? or vice-versa?

I have been taking 2,000 units of Vitamin D each day. I decided to bump it up to 4,000 units a day. I have done alot of research on the benefits of people taking 50,000 units of Vitamin D and it appears most people do benefit. Many people benefit from taking lower doses as well. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I am asking my oncologist to check my Vitamin D levels the next time I go for my Herceptin treatment (and before I start Arimidex). If I am low in D, I am definitely asking him to prescribe the 50,000 units of Vitamin D.

Thank you for your comments.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    BetsyJane said:

Hi Sirod,

You stated you didn't have joint pain from Arimidex but did have joint pain from Femara? I know they are very similiar. Did your doctors switch you to Femara? or vice-versa?

I have been taking 2,000 units of Vitamin D each day. I decided to bump it up to 4,000 units a day. I have done alot of research on the benefits of people taking 50,000 units of Vitamin D and it appears most people do benefit. Many people benefit from taking lower doses as well. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I am asking my oncologist to check my Vitamin D levels the next time I go for my Herceptin treatment (and before I start Arimidex). If I am low in D, I am definitely asking him to prescribe the 50,000 units of Vitamin D.

Joint & Bone Pain
    At the time, I went off Arimidex, I had been NED for a long time. I developed compression fractures from that drug and we thought it might be good to try going off the drug. Then I recurred again, so I tried Faslodex until progression, Femara, until progression. I am taking a break and will probably restart one or the other drug in hopes they will work.

I am very hormonal positive.

Good luck to you, Betsy Jane.

Doris
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    SIROD said:

Joint & Bone Pain
    At the time, I went off Arimidex, I had been NED for a long time. I developed compression fractures from that drug and we thought it might be good to try going off the drug. Then I recurred again, so I tried Faslodex until progression, Femara, until progression. I am taking a break and will probably restart one or the other drug in hopes they will work.

I am very hormonal positive.

Good luck to you, Betsy Jane.

Doris

d
    My doctor perscribed Oscal calcium + D. This pill seems to help my joint pain but I always gave calcium the credit with D as a helper. Any thoughts on this?

Hugs,

Ticky
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Ticky said:

d
    My doctor perscribed Oscal calcium + D. This pill seems to help my joint pain but I always gave calcium the credit with D as a helper. Any thoughts on this?

Hugs,

Ticky

Vit. D
    Vitamin D is one of those things you can get TOO much of. However, what is currently considered a normal amount is well below the level where bad things start to happen. The prescription level of D3 is for folks who have had their blood level checked. It can be a life saver for those folks who are experiencing joint pain because of low levels of vit. D. I'm one of those folks and it took only a day or two for all of my inflamation to fade away completely.

Some folks, however, do not react the same way. It is a matter of genetics, which is something none of us can choose or change. Some day they will have a test that shows whether you will be able to take an aromatase inhibiter or not. Right now, the best way is to try it out.

If you have joint pain (and maybe even before it starts) it might be wise to get your D3 level checked. Many if not most breast cancer patients test clinically low and yes, there might be a relationship there. No sense letting a problem continue. Only a few labs process the test so it may take a week or more for the results. IF you are clinically low, then start the prescription as prescribed. If you are slightly low, take what you can buy over the counter. But still do not take more than 2000 units a day without directions from a doctor. There are bad side effects from too much Vitamin D.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    BetsyJane said:

Hi Sirod,

I do not think one should take 50,000 u every day for 5 years
    Betsy,
    There is a range for D3 level, which is between 30 and 80, preferably 50. Please do not overdose yourself by taking elevated dose. Ask your doctor about proper dose for you. As far as 50,000 in most cases is used to boost low level of D3. There is ongoing clinical studies of taking 50,000 weekly.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Vitamin D--my opinion
    My best advice is to have your vitamin D level drawn (simple blood test). My level was indeed very low. I then went to an endocrinologist who is managing my vitamin d and my level is now normal.

Do not just assume that you need vitamin D, get a level drawn. As you can read below, none of us needs to traverse into toxicity either. Manage your vitamin D with a physician and make sure that your physician is following levels.

"Although vitamin D toxicity is rare even among people who take supplements, you may be at greater risk if you have health problems, such as liver or kidney conditions, or if you take thiazide-type diuretics. As always, make sure your doctor is aware of any vitamins or supplements you take.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), causing symptoms such as:
    Vomiting
    Polyuria (frequent urination)
    Weight loss
    Poor appetite
    Constipation
    Weakness
    Heart rhythm abnormalities
    Kidney stones" http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008