Breast MRI

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
I have been hearing ads on radio if high risk of BC should get yearly mammo and MRI...

I have only had ONE MRI just prior to my surgery! Should I inquire with dr?

I go for reg blood work, mammo and oncologist appts

Denise

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Denise,
    Was your original

Denise,
    Was your original cancer caught with a mammo? If so you may be ok with just mammo but you may want to add the breast MRI. Don't give up the mammo. Mammo, for now, is better at seeing the calcifications that can be really early breast cancer. Breast MRI is a better screening tool for women with dense breasts where a mass may not be visible on the mammo.
    For women in their 30's and 40's at high risk for BC, MRI is recommended because before 50 your breast are more dense. Some women stay dense but most don't. Some women were never dense.

Personally, my breast are so dense that the mammogram missed 3 masses, the smallest was .7 cm. My younger sister now gets a yearly mammo and MRI six months apart from each other.
    I have also heard that the density is related to estrogen, since mine were so dense I probably had alot of estrogen unfortunately my receptors are ER+.......

Cindy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    mamolady said:

Denise,
    Was your original

Denise,
    Was your original cancer caught with a mammo? If so you may be ok with just mammo but you may want to add the breast MRI. Don't give up the mammo. Mammo, for now, is better at seeing the calcifications that can be really early breast cancer. Breast MRI is a better screening tool for women with dense breasts where a mass may not be visible on the mammo.
    For women in their 30's and 40's at high risk for BC, MRI is recommended because before 50 your breast are more dense. Some women stay dense but most don't. Some women were never dense.

Personally, my breast are so dense that the mammogram missed 3 masses, the smallest was .7 cm. My younger sister now gets a yearly mammo and MRI six months apart from each other.
    I have also heard that the density is related to estrogen, since mine were so dense I probably had alot of estrogen unfortunately my receptors are ER+.......

Cindy

Tx for info...yes mine was
    Tx for info...yes mine was caught on routine mammo

Denise

I am now 52
  • steffke0104
    steffke0104 Member Posts: 2
    Breast MRI
    Denise, my gyn is very aggressive in follow up treatment. I was diagnosed in '05 and treated with a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. My breasts were always dense, and add to it the scar tissue from the lumpectomy. I have, at his suggestion, an annual mammo, with an MRI annually on the alternate 6 months. My lump was originally found on a mammo. It's up to us to seek out the best diagnostic tools and ask for them.