Home frrom the hospital

sangora
sangora Member Posts: 213
Last thursday afternoon, I was admittred to the hospital with major infection and extreme dehydration. The interesting thing is that thursday morning I was not feeling great but was ok. I had talked to the clinic and they told me the latest lab results were not good and that I was nutropenic so stay in the house and out of crowds. In just a matter of a few hours I crashed. While in the hospital, it was detrermined to replace my PEG tube as it is 18 months old and I am beginning to have some issues with it. The upshot is they were not able to do so as the mass in my esop. has gotten too large for them to get the tiny instruments down to the tube site. This has been very disheartening for me. Of course, the hope is that the Taxotere will reduce the mass somewhat, but as the first go round of the drug just about did me in, I have no idea I can tolerate 6 months of it. I am scheduled for round 2 of the drug on Oct.12 so we will see if things go any better. Just wanted to bring you all up to speed on my situation at the moment. We all know how fast things can change. Sam

Comments

• BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    You are dealing with great
    You are dealing with great difficulties that are way beyond anything I know. Just letting you know that you are in our prayers. BMG
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Thinking of you
    Sam,

Here's to hoping the next round of Taxotere is tolerable. Actually, I'm hoping it will be "a breeze" for you.

No matter what, you are in our prayers!

Terry
    Wife to Nick
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    TerryV said:

Thinking of you
    Sam,

Here's to hoping the next round of Taxotere is tolerable. Actually, I'm hoping it will be "a breeze" for you.

No matter what, you are in our prayers!

Terry
    Wife to Nick

sorry you are going thru this
    Sam,
    I was one of the people who had taken Taxotere for post op chemo. So sorry this has been a struggle esp with the peg tube business and the mass blocking the esophagus also. Is there any chance of using the cyberknife on the mass just to make you more comfortable and able to swallow right? Taxotere is very strong. When I asked the dr why my toenail was coming off 6 months later, he just said how strong do you think it was and why do you think you had to wait 21 days inbetween. I know how I felt during that time and my heart goes out to you. Hoping the drs will come up with a solution for the various issues you are dealing with. You have every right to be disheartened but we will all be rooting for you to feel better and go on. My prayers are with you, hugs from afar.
    Donna70
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • sangora
    sangora Member Posts: 213
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks Sherri
    As of the time I left the hospital on Monday (yesterday) my counts were back to normal. My doc has been hesitant to start the nupogen since given time I always come back on my own. The nurse called this afternoon to check on me and said that my oncologist was going to talk to me about having home health in to do IV fluids since this is the third time in as many months I have dehydrated in spite of the fact that I measure fluids and take in about 2200cc's per day. They have not talked about immuno boosters, but I will bring up the issue next week. I am scheduled for an Oct 12th treatment. My personal biggest concern right now is depression. This has not been a problem up til this week, but now I seem overwhelmed. sam
  • jim2011
    jim2011 Member Posts: 115
    sangora said:

Thanks Sherri
    As of the time I left the hospital on Monday (yesterday) my counts were back to normal. My doc has been hesitant to start the nupogen since given time I always come back on my own. The nurse called this afternoon to check on me and said that my oncologist was going to talk to me about having home health in to do IV fluids since this is the third time in as many months I have dehydrated in spite of the fact that I measure fluids and take in about 2200cc's per day. They have not talked about immuno boosters, but I will bring up the issue next week. I am scheduled for an Oct 12th treatment. My personal biggest concern right now is depression. This has not been a problem up til this week, but now I seem overwhelmed. sam

depression
    I was on 2 different depression meds. One for morning and one for night time. I am currently on Celexa. Those meds take about two weeks to kick in but it was amazing how much better my attitude was and is. One time my son took me in for fluids and had me admitted to the hospital. I was there for 14 days. I am impressed with your knowledge of the various treatments and even keeping track of your fluid intake. As you may know...I am a believer in feeling a tiny tiny little bit better each day and after months that feeling adds up to a ton of better health. The days of taking one step forward and two steps backward is so far in the past that I almost don't remember it. Find a small step to take. An attainable goal and do it. Feel better.
    Jim
  • dodger21
    dodger21 Member Posts: 85 Member
    jim2011 said:

depression
    I was on 2 different depression meds. One for morning and one for night time. I am currently on Celexa. Those meds take about two weeks to kick in but it was amazing how much better my attitude was and is. One time my son took me in for fluids and had me admitted to the hospital. I was there for 14 days. I am impressed with your knowledge of the various treatments and even keeping track of your fluid intake. As you may know...I am a believer in feeling a tiny tiny little bit better each day and after months that feeling adds up to a ton of better health. The days of taking one step forward and two steps backward is so far in the past that I almost don't remember it. Find a small step to take. An attainable goal and do it. Feel better.
    Jim

Positive
    I love your way of thinking Jim. Stay strong Sam. One small step at a time.
    Danielle
  • Callaloo
    Callaloo Member Posts: 135
    So sorry things are not going well
    But thanks for posting. My thoughts and prayers are with you (I'm not really the praying kind, but I will for you, and the rest of us here). Hope things only get better from here. Looking forward to your next post.

Lu