Grrr...pink

aisling8
aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
Okay, you know I seldom initiate topics, but this one is irritating me.

Saw an ad in a magazine and it's also a giant billboard in town advertising "kids free in October" at the zoo. Nice, huh? Well, it's a picture of the bottom half of a PINK flamingo with its PINK legs standing next to the bottom half of a girl in a PINK fluffy tutu, the girl is wearing, of course, PINK tights, PINK ribbons around her ankles, PINK tennis shoes. They're both standing on bright green grass to make sure the PINK stands out.

No where is there any mention of any proceeds or donations towards breast cancer. Nope. They're just gonna be PINK and let you think so.

With my luck, I'll now be sued by the zoo:)

xo
Victoria

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    That is so WRONG and
    That is so WRONG and MISLEADING. Is the zoo trying to make a profit out of those who have been stricken down with cancer? I sure hope not.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

That is so WRONG and
    That is so WRONG and MISLEADING. Is the zoo trying to make a profit out of those who have been stricken down with cancer? I sure hope not.

I'm not sure I agree...
    I just went and looked at the ad on the San Diego zoo site (http://www.sandiegozoo.org/kidsfree/), and I'm not sure I agree that they're trying to co-opt Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Yeah, they chose a flamingo, and were trying to be cute by having a little girl dress up like the flamingo....Maybe I'm just clueless (always a possibility! :-), but I myself don't think "breast cancer" at all when I look at the ad -- just that they're trying to say that kids like the zoo and like to pretend to be animals.

Just my opinion -- maybe the ads you're seeing are different than what's on their website?

Traci
  • aisling8
    TraciInLA said:

I'm not sure I agree...
    I just went and looked at the ad on the San Diego zoo site (http://www.sandiegozoo.org/kidsfree/), and I'm not sure I agree that they're trying to co-opt Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Yeah, they chose a flamingo, and were trying to be cute by having a little girl dress up like the flamingo....Maybe I'm just clueless (always a possibility! :-), but I myself don't think "breast cancer" at all when I look at the ad -- just that they're trying to say that kids like the zoo and like to pretend to be animals.

Just my opinion -- maybe the ads you're seeing are different than what's on their website?

Traci

You don't find it coincidental that they're all about the flamingo and the pink girl in October? Cause there was no such ad in, oh, say, March or June. I totally think it's a subliminal thing going on. It's those ribbons on her ankles that convince me.

Oh, Traci, perhaps because I'm so much older than you, I'm more cynical:).

xoxo
    Victoria
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    aisling8 said:

You don't find it coincidental that they're all about the flamingo and the pink girl in October? Cause there was no such ad in, oh, say, March or June. I totally think it's a subliminal thing going on. It's those ribbons on her ankles that convince me.

Oh, Traci, perhaps because I'm so much older than you, I'm more cynical:).

xoxo
    Victoria

I KNEW you were going to zero in on those ballet ribbons!
    And I should have known, when you got yourself that room-with-a-view in the Home for Cynical Old People, to expect such things from you....:-)

No, you know, I just don't see it....my guess is some marketing guy came up with 3 or 4 ads of kids dressed up as various animals, and somebody back months and months ago (when Breast Cancer Awareness Month wasn't on their mind) said, "Oh, the flamingo's cute, let's use that in this year's campaign."

I'm assuming the zoo does this promotion every year? I'd be curious to see what images they used last October. Now, if you tell me they used a pink pig last October, then I'm gonna start to think you're onto something....

Traci
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    We just don't know anymore,
    We just don't know anymore, what companies' intentions are. We don't know if that was meant to call attention or not, but if it is, and people want to spend the money, at least it's going to animals. I'm am animal lover. They need money for meds and to keep the animals healthy - I hope, this would at least help them.

In general, I'm not too happy about the "pink" idea anymore. I think eventually people may look at it and say, "oh yeah...another one of those". I think at some point, it won't get the attention it deserves, because it's becoming promotional. It is a serious illness, and I think - and I don't know how this can be accomplished - it needs more seriousness. Perhaps more victims involved, more TV shows, more commercials with family's who have lost a love one...perhaps they should also expose some facts about cancer. What can increase the risks of the disease. There are factors involved too - why not exposed those? I don't know, like birth control pill, how hormones can damage DNA, come foods intake (products treated with hormones), radiation, etc..I don't know. I just think it's becoming more business-oriented than anything else. Just my thought. Some may or may not agree.

I like zoos. Although I don't like (or agree with caged animals). Some of them are been saved from humanity.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    TraciInLA said:

I KNEW you were going to zero in on those ballet ribbons!
    And I should have known, when you got yourself that room-with-a-view in the Home for Cynical Old People, to expect such things from you....:-)

No, you know, I just don't see it....my guess is some marketing guy came up with 3 or 4 ads of kids dressed up as various animals, and somebody back months and months ago (when Breast Cancer Awareness Month wasn't on their mind) said, "Oh, the flamingo's cute, let's use that in this year's campaign."

I'm assuming the zoo does this promotion every year? I'd be curious to see what images they used last October. Now, if you tell me they used a pink pig last October, then I'm gonna start to think you're onto something....

Traci

You girls made me smile
    Thanks, pink pig sounds great
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    previous post
    I seem to remember another "think before you pink" thread. The comment I liked the most in that thread was something about anything that draws awareness is a good thing.
    I didn't see the ad so I can't comment. I am a pink-aholic but I figure it is ok because I am a girl!
    I write this using my pink computer!

Cindy
  • aisling8
    mamolady said:

previous post
    I seem to remember another "think before you pink" thread. The comment I liked the most in that thread was something about anything that draws awareness is a good thing.
    I didn't see the ad so I can't comment. I am a pink-aholic but I figure it is ok because I am a girl!
    I write this using my pink computer!

Cindy

Well, I'm open
    to the possibility there's nothing nefarious going on here.

But, um, Traci, everyone knows ballet ribbons do NOT go with tennis shoes, and what's more troubling to me is the fact I said zoo, you know, could have been any old zoo in the world, and you had to go and name a city -- why are you making it easier for them to find me?

Thanks for alternative view points, everyone.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I wonder if anyone
    I wonder if anyone called/written to confront/ inquire if proceeds donated...THAT is why I asked just yeaterday on this board who YOU KNOW what are legit causes...

Denise
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Cute Billboard
    I don't see anything that even vaguely is offensive towards breast cancer or inferring they are trying to make money off of it. It's just a really cute picture of a flamingo and a little girl posing as a flamingo.

Breast Cancer Awareness does not own the color pink nor the month of October.

Susan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    aisling8 said:

Well, I'm open
    to the possibility there's nothing nefarious going on here.

But, um, Traci, everyone knows ballet ribbons do NOT go with tennis shoes, and what's more troubling to me is the fact I said zoo, you know, could have been any old zoo in the world, and you had to go and name a city -- why are you making it easier for them to find me?

Thanks for alternative view points, everyone.

xoxo
    Victoria

No most kids do not wear
    No most kids do not wear tennies when doing ballet but then ballet shoes do have ribbon wraps up the legs so the wraps are just a part of the whole as is the tutu - also not normally worn with tennies either. To me the ballet wraps have no appearance of any of the "Pink Ribbons" I've seen used in conjunction with BC Awareness.

No where does it say anything about raising money or doing anything with money in conjunction with BC.

If you are really so insensed then send them a message.

Susan