baring my heart

Hi everyone,

My friend / sister-of-heart / roommate went for a breast biopsy last week. Previously, she had an mammogram and ultrasound. Microcalifications showed up on her right breast, the doctor requested a biopsy for that particular area. They said that this was removed completely - the results would be given in a couple of days.

The results are: Cancer cells in what was taken out; mri scheduled this Tuesday

They wish her to see an oncologist the following Monday for an appointment and to schedule surgery. Understandbly, my f/s-o-h/r is sad and heartbroken after receiving the phone call about the results.

Any advice, feedback, life stories to share?

Your wisdom and kindness are truly wonderful. Many thanks.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I hope she is doing well..

I hope she is doing well..
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    This is my road...
    I went down a similar road. Routine mammogram in August 2010. I got a call back for a redo on one side. While I was there, had an ultrasound and then scheduled a biopsy for a week later. Cancer. It's devastating. It was like a whirlwind. Breast MRI, PET scan, MUGA scan (for the heart) and brain scan. Luckily nothing had shown up anywhere else. But then chemo lumpectomy, radiation...it took a full year but now things are good.

She's going to need her friends.

Bonne
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    BMS said:

This is my road...
    I went down a similar road. Routine mammogram in August 2010. I got a call back for a redo on one side. While I was there, had an ultrasound and then scheduled a biopsy for a week later. Cancer. It's devastating. It was like a whirlwind. Breast MRI, PET scan, MUGA scan (for the heart) and brain scan. Luckily nothing had shown up anywhere else. But then chemo lumpectomy, radiation...it took a full year but now things are good.

She's going to need her friends.

Bonne

Elisabeth,
    If the detection was caught early she may not have to undergo some of the treatments that the rest of us had to do. Chemotherapy is systemic so if there is lymph node involvement she may be required to do that. If it's only the one lump removed and the margins are clean, maybe just radiation.

Please be there for her and try and calm her as best you can. Those first two weeks of processing "you have cancer" can be a scary time. Some chose to deal with this themselves and close themselves off to the world, while others are more open about it. I hope at least you and your roomie have that relationship that will allow her to dump whatever scares her onto you. If that is the case please stay in touch with all of us here, there are so many wise kindreds here that will offer great advice.

You my dear are such a good friend to seek information on her behalf. I hope her family is just as caring... Please keep us posted on how she is doing and maybe convince her to join this forum as well. If she reads our stories she won't feel so alone.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Her own Journey
    Your friend will have her own journey. The good news is she is obviously not alone. This is a wonderful site for information, prayers and hugs!
    Some tips for the coming weeks
    1. Keep a list/journal to take to all appointments.
    2. Try not to go alone. Bring a friend, spouse, parent.
    3. If you have a question, ask and keep asking till you understand the answer.

Once she gets a treatment plan, she will have more questions, we will still be here.

All the best,
    Cindy
    Oh yeah I forgot, breath!
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    This may be what I had.
    This may be what I had. Microcalcifications in the right breast. It was diagnosed as DCIS in situ, meaning it was contained in that area with no lymph node involvement. I had a biopsy and then a partial mastectomy to get clear margins. I had to have 6 and 1/2 weeks of radiation, no chemo. In fact, I never even had an oncologist. I had a breast surgeon that specialized in breast cancer. My only onco was my radiologist.I am now on tamoxifen for 5 years since I was e/p +. Hopefully this is what she has. When you get the results let us know. I was told that if you had to get breast cancer this is the one to get. I was still heartbroken and petrified. Any kind of cancer is scary no matter how small. I will be praying for her.

Angela
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    your friend
    Have her join us here, as she will find a lot of understanding and infomal education here.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hello, I have to say you are
    Hello, I have to say you are a very good friend to reach out for information for your friend. When I found out I was sick my sister kept tract of everything for me. What a help that was because I could not have done it at that time myself. The first month was the hardest for me. I had to have the gamut of treatment. But your friend sounds like she caught hers early. She may not need to do chemo, at all. Time will tell about that.
    Be there for her take notes keep track of things like Dr apps, Med's, schedules. May be you can keep a journal for her. She will also go through a range of emotions don't take anything personal if she may say things she don't mean. Please come back and let us know how she and you are doing. We will be your support for her. You are the kind of friend we all wish we had. Take care and let us know how we can help. We're here for ya. Kay
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    The old saying about how to
    The old saying about how to eat an elephant comes to mind...one bite at a time. This journey is the same, you have to go one step at a time. Some of the steps will be extremely difficult for you and your friend, but there will be joyful lighthearted steps as well.

You've already received great advice about journals (I use a binder with divider tabs to keep track of all my info) and asking questions. I have learned so much from the wonderful caring people here, there is usually someone who has 'been there done that'.

The advice I'll add is to be sure and take care of yourself also. You will be better able to support your friend if you are in a good place mentally, spiritually, and physically.

Please come back and let us know how you are both doing.

Hugs,

Linda