Has anyone taking aromatase inhibitors leveled off w side effects, or do they keep getting worse?

Norsphere
Norsphere Member Posts: 1
I HAVE BEEN ON FEMARA ABOUT A YEAR..HAVE OSTEOPENIA, HIGH CHOLESTEROL AND SIGNFICANT PAIN, STIFFNESS AND WEAKNESS IN MY HANDS...AS WELL AS 4 OUT OF 5 DIGITS ON MY RT HAND W TRIGGER FINGER. MY CONCERN IS HOW BAD IS THIS GOING TO GET OVER THE NEXT 4 YEARS AND WILL THE SIDE EFFECTS BE PERMANENT...I WAS TOLD AFTER 18 MONTHS THINGS LEVEL OFF AND DON'T GET WORSE. ANY INPUT ABOUT THIS?

MY ONE DR TELLS ME TO STOP THE FEMARA, THE OTHER ONE WANTS TO STAY ON THE FEMARA & PRESCRIBE STATINS & OSTEOPOROSIS DRUGS,,,WHAT TO DO...WHAT TO DO.... I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF STOPPING THE FEMARA, BUT DON'T WANT TO BE AN INVALID IN 4 YEARS EITHER.

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Hi Norsphere and welcome. I
    Hi Norsphere and welcome. I have been on Arimidex for 3 years now and though it makes me feel an old 61, I am not an invalid. I have osteopenia and take Boniva for it. I also have pain and stiffness that eases with movement. I take naproxen every day.

I have stuck with the Arimidex for three years now and I can't say it has gotten much worse over the past year or so. The one problem I have that is fairly new is wanky knees. They bother me getting up and down off the floor.

I combat the effects of Arimidex by walking, swimming, lifting weights, and Yoga. I figure that the more I do to keep strong, the better. There's not too much I can do about my stiff fingers, though.

I'd like to piggyback to your question. Do all these SEs go away once you stop the Arimidex after five years?
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Norsphere Pain with Femara
    As soon as I stop Femara and I have done it 3 times, the severe bones & joints pain went away. It takes about 3 weeks before you feel better and 3 week once restarting the drug to feel worse.

Hope this helps.

Doris
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    SIROD said:

Norsphere Pain with Femara
    As soon as I stop Femara and I have done it 3 times, the severe bones & joints pain went away. It takes about 3 weeks before you feel better and 3 week once restarting the drug to feel worse.

Hope this helps.

Doris

Ask your oncologist about Tamoxifen
    Ak you oncologist for break from Femara or switch to Tamoxifen. I think 3 weeks is a minimum you will need to relif after stopping Femara.. High blood pressue and osteoporosis should be addressed in addition of aromatase inhibitors decision.
    Let us know about your treatm
    Nets
    Hugs