Avastin bad experience

Options
My PET scan and CT scan showed spots on my liver so dr. suggested changing from Folfox to Folfiri with Avastin. We both read, discussed and knew the possibile side effects. I though all was fine until a week after treatment when I started having back pain, but passed it off as strained muscle after moving the couch. Another week later I couldn't eat, diarrehea started in. Finally family insisted I call my oncologist, he told me to go to my hometown ER. They did a CT scan and sent me on to larger city ER where my oncologist is located. I had systemic colitis, my entire colon was inflamed, apparantely caused by the Avastin. I was in the hospital 14 days. I had another CT scan, flex-sig, decompression done to take the air out of my intestine, and many more x-rays. I was on anti-biotics and morphine until the last 2 days I was there. I am back home as of last night, my appetite is back and I feel wonderful again. I hope noone else has that type of pain. Dr. reassured me the colon heals itself very rapidly.
Has anyone els had this bad experience?

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Connie
    I've just had my 12th treatment of Avastin, (had more before a break)and I haven't had this experience, but I understand it does happen, and I do worry about it, so far it's been good on my end. I'm so sorry you had to suffer that, dang it.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Winter Marie
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    Options
    After one treatment?
    Sounds like Avastin was really rough for you. I'm sorry to hear that. My husband had to quit it after two months because he got a huge blood clot in a varicose vein in his leg. He is now on Lovenox shots every day because of it. Am glad that you are feeling much better and hope that your total recovery is very quick!
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    or?
    I've had some colitis (nothing as bad as what you have been thro!) probably due to CPT11 (Irinotecan). I wonder if that could be the culprit? (I'm not on Avastin -- and didn't have any problems when I was). But I'm sure you and your doc have already sorted through all the possibilities. So glad you are feeling OK now....

Tara
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    taraHK said:

or?
    I've had some colitis (nothing as bad as what you have been thro!) probably due to CPT11 (Irinotecan). I wonder if that could be the culprit? (I'm not on Avastin -- and didn't have any problems when I was). But I'm sure you and your doc have already sorted through all the possibilities. So glad you are feeling OK now....

Tara

Colon
    Hi: I had a terrible experience with iczhemic colitus (spelling!) after my first treatment of cisplatin - ended up in the hospital as well for 10 days because the transverse colon was inflamed with some dead cells. The oncologist reduced the cisplatin dosage. I have had similar problems off and on with oxaliplatin (and perhaps irenotecan) but not nearly as bad as my first experience. I'm not on Avastin either but it may be the platinum-based chemicals?
    Cheryl
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    westie66 said:

Colon
    Hi: I had a terrible experience with iczhemic colitus (spelling!) after my first treatment of cisplatin - ended up in the hospital as well for 10 days because the transverse colon was inflamed with some dead cells. The oncologist reduced the cisplatin dosage. I have had similar problems off and on with oxaliplatin (and perhaps irenotecan) but not nearly as bad as my first experience. I'm not on Avastin either but it may be the platinum-based chemicals?
    Cheryl

Are you sure is due to avastin? in my opinion irinotecan is
    much worst ! severe diarrhea , stomach bloated, gas and many other gi problems!
    On the other hand ,yes, pain in muscles and bones are quite common while on avastin!
    Hope it helped and glad you feel better.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Avastin and Irinotecan
    Avastin can cause bowel perforation in rare cases. But I've never heard of it causing colitis or other bowel troubles.

Irinotecan is the chemo that destroys the intestines. It is known for both early and late onset diarrhea. What you have described sounds much like the late onset diarrhea. The drug metabolizes again in the intestine about 8-12 days after inital infusion. I get nailed with it every time, and it has taken a lot of trial and error to get it under control (most of the time I can get it under control - but still have problems). Severe stomach and bowel pain, severe diarrhea, lots of gas. I don't get anything as severe as what you just dealt with, but it is pretty tough.

Avastin normally causes high blood pressure, blood clots, nose bleeds, slow to no healing of wounds, protein in the urine (kidney damage), or perforated colon if it is going to mess with you.

I wouldn't be so sure that things will change for you by dropping the Avastin. It could very likely be the Irinotecan that caused your troubles. I would talk with your oncologist about this again.

The info below is from ChemoCare, which is a great site for chemo drug info (I get all of these side effects)

The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking irinotecan:
    •Diarrhea; two types early and late forms.
    •Early diarrhea: Occurring within 24 hours of receiving drug, accompanied by symptoms runny nose, increased salivation, watery eyes, sweating, flushing, abdominal cramping. (This can occur while the drug is being administered. If so, alert your healthcare professional promptly. Medication can be given to stop and/or lessen this early side effect).
    •Late diarrhea: Occurring greater than 24 hours of receiving drug, usually peaks at about 11 days after treatment. Because of concerns of dehydration and electrolyte imbalances with diarrhea it is important to be in contact with health care professionals for monitoring, and for medication and diet modifications advice.
    •Nausea and vomiting.
    •Weakness.
    •Low white blood cell count. (This can put you at increased risk for infection).
    •Low red blood cell count (anemia).
    •Hair loss
    •Poor appetite
    •Fever
    •Weight loss

I also get all of these side effects (although the constipation is only due to other drugs I think.

These side effects are less common side effects (occurring in about 10-29%) of patients receiving irinotecan:

•Constipation
    •Shortness of breath
    •Insomnia (see sleep problems)
    •Cough
    •Headache
    •Dehydration
    •Chills (see flu-like symptoms)
    •Skin rash (see skin reaction)
    •Flatulence (see abdominal pain)
    •Flushing of face during infusion
    •Mouth sores
    •Heartburn
    •Swelling of feet and ankles
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is Avastin info:
    The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking avastin:

•Generalized Weakness
    •Pain
    •Abdominal pain
    •Nausea & vomiting
    •Poor appetite
    •Constipation
    •Upper respiratory infection
    •Low white blood cell count. (This can put you at increased risk for infection.)
    • Proteinuria (see kidney problems)
    •Nose bleed (see bleeding problems)
    •Diarrhea
    •Hair loss
    •Mouth sores
    •Headache
    These side effects are less common side effects (occurring in about 10-29%) of patients receiving avastin:

•Shortness of breath
    •Dizziness
    •High blood pressure
    •Weight loss
    •Muscle aches and pains
    These are rare but serious complications of avastin therapy.

•Gastrointestinal perforation/ fistula formation/ wound healing complications
    •Hemorrhage (severe bleeding)
    •Hypertensive crisis (severe high blood pressure)
    •Nephrotic Syndrome - a condition marked by very high levels of protein in the urine (proteinuria), low levels of protein in the blood, swelling, especially around the eyes, feet and hands. This syndrome is caused by damage to the glomeruli (tiny blood vessels in the kidney that filter waste and excess water from the blood and send them to the bladder as urine).
    •Congestive heart failure in patients who have received prior treatment with anthracycline based chemotherapy, or radiation therapy to the chest wall.