'Chemo break' coming up!!

taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
I'm sitting in hospital 'dripping' -- my 8th cycle of FOLFOXFIRI. But my heart is soaring -- because it is my LAST one -- at least for a while. My oncologist plans to give me a "chemo break". He quoted one study which compared two groups (folk like me - long-termers) and found that those who took chemo breaks had no worse outcomes than those who didn't. So that's the plan for me. I'm so excited!! I know I will have to resume chemo at some point. That's fine. But this break is gonna be so sweet. I don't know how long it will last. I will have a baseline PET and bone MRI (I have bone mets) and will then repeat the bone MRI every 2 mos and the PET every 4 mos. Even two months break would be welcome -- 4 would be heavenly. I have some lovely plans lined up for the next few months (visitors, trips...). And I'm making plans to build up my stamina (more yoga, more gym). How sweet it is!

Tara

Comments

• buckeye2
    buckeye2 Member Posts: 428 Member
    Have a great break!!! Do
    Have a great break!!! Do mostly fun things. Lisa
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    buckeye2 said:

Have a great break!!! Do
    Have a great break!!! Do mostly fun things. Lisa

Tara! just enjoy your holidays !
    May be a big trip? .May be back to NY ? well......just enjoy it you deserve it!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    pepebcn said:

great
    tara.....I am thrilled to hear this news.....yayyyyy a break....good girl....enjoy

mags
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    Good for you!
    Enjoy every minute!!!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Tara
    Great News!
    Enjoy
  • taraHK
    pepebcn said:

trips!
    Little trip to Thailand, then big trip (2 weeks) to Europe. Sadly not to Spain! I'm excited already....

Tara
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Enjoy!
    Enjoy the break! Make sure to boost your immune system while you're on the chemo break with lots of antioxidants and helpful supplements. :)

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    taraHK said:

trips!
    Little trip to Thailand, then big trip (2 weeks) to Europe. Sadly not to Spain! I'm excited already....

Tara

Feel so sorry ! you know you would be welcomed here!
    Hugs Tara!
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Great news!!
    I'm so happy for you to get this break. It's hard to explain to people how much a good day feels! Weeks and months must be really great.
    Enjoy
    Jeff
  • taraHK

Great news!!
    I'm so happy for you to get this break. It's hard to explain to people how much a good day feels! Weeks and months must be really great.
    Enjoy
    Jeff

normal = fantastic
    @ Jeff -- you are right. A day when I am feeling good (i.e. normal) feels FANTASTIC -- almost a "high" feeling. I guess that is one blessing of this disease/condition!

Tara
  • taraHK
    lisa42 said:

Enjoy!
    Enjoy the break! Make sure to boost your immune system while you're on the chemo break with lots of antioxidants and helpful supplements. :)

Hugs,
    Lisa

boosting immune system
    Hey Lisa -- yes -- that is my plan -- I want to use the opportunity to boost my immune system thro diet and exercise -- and clean living!! I appreciate your comments -- and may get back to you for some specific suggestions -- I follow what you are doing on the board...
    Love,
    Tara
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Howdy, Tara:)
    Good 4 you!

Glad you are getting a break....you're just a little fireball aren't you? If I ever get a 4th recurrence, I hope I can do as well as you are doing - I am amazed.

I'm hoping for good response to this treatment and hope all goes well. Enjoy your time off, but I know you already will. Folfox was tough or me - Folfiri was much worse and had me on the ropes, but look at you - doing "2 for 1" and lovin' it:)

I'm really proud of you and for you. Take the best care and thanks for stopping by on my posts....us multiple recurrence people got to stay together:) LOL!

-Craig