Breast prostethis

karioka
karioka Member Posts: 1
I am looking for a group that would donate a breast prosthesis for me. I cant afford one and cant seem to find an organization that would help. I am in the North Syracuse area and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Contact..
    The American Cancer Society...or the social worker where you had your treatment....
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Most insurances companies
    Most insurances companies will cover them is my understanding. Check with the local ACS or with the Breast Cancer Navigator at your Cancer Care Center. If all else fails - check with your religion if you're active in it.

Are you a Veteran? If you are, check with your local VA facility - they've been great for me. If a Husband is a 100% disabled Vet. they do a lot for the wife too.

Good Luck

Susan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Rague said:

Most insurances companies
    Most insurances companies will cover them is my understanding. Check with the local ACS or with the Breast Cancer Navigator at your Cancer Care Center. If all else fails - check with your religion if you're active in it.

Are you a Veteran? If you are, check with your local VA facility - they've been great for me. If a Husband is a 100% disabled Vet. they do a lot for the wife too.

Good Luck

Susan

Just got one
    and it's great but my insurance company said they would cover it and they did cover 90%.
    So, you say why are you complaining? I'm not really, except I never expected it to cost $950.00!!

I have to pay $94.00 after discount that I wasn't planning on.

My point is, how can they charge so much money for something needed because of a medical condition.

Sorry, just had to vent. Good luck finding one and try your social worker from your cancer center.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member

Just got one
    and it's great but my insurance company said they would cover it and they did cover 90%.
    So, you say why are you complaining? I'm not really, except I never expected it to cost $950.00!!

I have to pay $94.00 after discount that I wasn't planning on.

My point is, how can they charge so much money for something needed because of a medical condition.

Sorry, just had to vent. Good luck finding one and try your social worker from your cancer center.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

What?
    Wanda,

Was it lined with gold? I've never seen one over $450.00. I have bought two in the past eight years and they were around $390.00 and I've had a full masectomy. Yes, most insurance companies will pay for them and bras for them as well. My insurance covered 80%. I went to Lady Grace and they did all the paperwork for the insurance company. Just make sure you have a perscription for it.

Terry
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    mom62 said:

What?
    Wanda,

Was it lined with gold? I've never seen one over $450.00. I have bought two in the past eight years and they were around $390.00 and I've had a full masectomy. Yes, most insurance companies will pay for them and bras for them as well. My insurance covered 80%. I went to Lady Grace and they did all the paperwork for the insurance company. Just make sure you have a perscription for it.

Terry

I know right....that's what
    I know right....that's what I said , made of gold! I had a prescription from my doc at Mass Gen. and went to the breast boutique there.
    I never imagined that price. I guess I should have asked. Live and learn. It does look and feel real but I never even knew what they looked like.
    I was expecting something similar to a pad to put in my bra.
    Have a good day.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Y-Me
    I believe Y-Me also has prostheses at no charge. There is an 800 number on the website.
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    I got my prosthesis....
    at my neighborhood American Cancer Society. I called and made an appt. for their gift closet (that's where they keep all the things they have) and a real nice woman showed me the different kinds they had - foam and silicone - and then she fitted me for 2 masectomy bras when I went in. That is also where I got my wig. A real cute Raquel Welch auburn colored one.

Give them a try. I found them in the phone book.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member

I know right....that's what
    I know right....that's what I said , made of gold! I had a prescription from my doc at Mass Gen. and went to the breast boutique there.
    I never imagined that price. I guess I should have asked. Live and learn. It does look and feel real but I never even knew what they looked like.
    I was expecting something similar to a pad to put in my bra.
    Have a good day.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

Mass Gen.
    Wanda,

Boy they have quite the program there to get your ins. money huh? I'm glad you found something that you liked though, that is what is important. My insurance company at the time made me go to lady grace because they only had a few approved vendors. Things have changed a lot since then and you can get them most anywhere now. I had my last 6 surgeries at Brigham and Woman's. Mass has great hospitals! One of the advantages of living in the state.

Hugs,
    Terry
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377

I got my prosthesis....
    at my neighborhood American Cancer Society. I called and made an appt. for their gift closet (that's where they keep all the things they have) and a real nice woman showed me the different kinds they had - foam and silicone - and then she fitted me for 2 masectomy bras when I went in. That is also where I got my wig. A real cute Raquel Welch auburn colored one.

Give them a try. I found them in the phone book.

Love and Light,
    Vicki

I had reconstruction which has its very own problems. But, I have a friend who just out of surgery needed a prosthesis. She also had a trip overseas scheduled about a week or so after surgery and didn't think she'd have the time or money to see about getting one. I think she was just overwhelmed by it all really.

Do you sew? I made her a few fiberfill inserts and modified her bras to wear with them. I also experimented with other filler materials like poly-pellets and liquid/oils to add weight. She really ended up liking the ones I made for her. Total cost about $10 since you likely already have bras!

The ones that worked the best were a combo of fiberfill and poly-pellets.
    I'll go look for the links/pattern if your interested?
    (it's better than nothing while you're working on getting a true prothesis! =)

(((Hugs)))
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    jendrey said:

I had reconstruction which has its very own problems. But, I have a friend who just out of surgery needed a prosthesis. She also had a trip overseas scheduled about a week or so after surgery and didn't think she'd have the time or money to see about getting one. I think she was just overwhelmed by it all really.

Do you sew? I made her a few fiberfill inserts and modified her bras to wear with them. I also experimented with other filler materials like poly-pellets and liquid/oils to add weight. She really ended up liking the ones I made for her. Total cost about $10 since you likely already have bras!

The ones that worked the best were a combo of fiberfill and poly-pellets.
    I'll go look for the links/pattern if your interested?
    (it's better than nothing while you're working on getting a true prothesis! =)

(((Hugs)))

Make Your Own
    If you are into do it yourself, mastectomy.com sells pockets you can sew into regular bras to hold your prosthesis. This can be much less expensive than buying a formal mastectomy bra.
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    mollieb said:

Make Your Own
    If you are into do it yourself, mastectomy.com sells pockets you can sew into regular bras to hold your prosthesis. This can be much less expensive than buying a formal mastectomy bra.

question for you
    I hope you don't mind me asking this..
    What side did you have your mastectomy and what size are you.
    I got a new one last October, and the older one is sitting in my
    closet.

Angie