Did something different yesterday - Susan G Komen 5k walk in SF

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
My dear daughter whom I mostly want to strangle and kiss at the same time, came home begging to do the Susan G Komen breast cancer run/walk in San Francisco. A friend from school was doing it and she really wanted to walk to support the cure for breast cancer. It was very thoughtful of her and I wanted to support her, afterall she too has been affected by breast cancer by way of me. So I decided I would do it too. I don't typically do these kinds of things, not because I don't support the cure, but mostly because I don't enjoy crowds and getting out in such a public way. I would rather make contributions behind the scenes.

Anyway, I stepped out of my comfort zone and we went up my daughter's friends family and had a really fun time. My daughter loved it, she loved all the free pink paraphenalia, the fact that I got extra free pink paraphenalia for being a survivor (not sure what that really means). The walk was fun, along the bay, under the bay bridge, a little foggy and it drizzled. I did enjoy being a part of this crowd. Most all I did appreciate people making the effort to come out in support of research done for breast cancer, in support of breast cancer survivors and did notice just how many families breast cancer has touched. There were men walking in honour of their wives, children walking in honour of their grandparents and some their mothers, brothers walking in honour of sisters, sisters walking in honour of sisters and mother's walking in honour of daughters!

And I did think of all of you on this board and how much support I have received, how much solidarity there is amoungst our pink sisters and how brave and courageous we are as women, finding the strength that for some of us we never knew we had. Thanks to you all.

ps: I know I don't post much but I frequently read postings to keep up with how everyone is doing.

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Congratulations.
    So glad you were able to do this, I walked in a few of them and it really is empowering when you see the sheer numbers that do come out to support this cause. I just wish they would start allotting more of the monies to advanced research. They are so close with the research that has been done with t-cells but just not enough monies to take it all the way.

Proud of you for doing this.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Thank you for doing it! I
    Thank you for doing it! I am so glad you did and that you enjoyed it. I haven't done the Komen walk yet (just because of scheduling conflicts), but I have done many others and always find them so moving and inspiring.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Glad to hear
    that you enjoyed it. I did one a couple of weeks ago and it is really uplifting to see all of the people who support us. I hope you will be able to do more of these walks now that you know it can be fun. Thanks for thinking of all of us.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ladyg said:

Glad to hear
    that you enjoyed it. I did one a couple of weeks ago and it is really uplifting to see all of the people who support us. I hope you will be able to do more of these walks now that you know it can be fun. Thanks for thinking of all of us.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Mariam -- I am so happy that you set out -- and
    accomplished such a surreal walk.

I, too, walk on Sunday at the Susan G. Komen walk in Newport Beach -- crying right now just remembering all the faces of Hope, Survival ship and Warriors in throes of treatment. Most humbling experience of my life.

Vicki Sam
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    VickiSam said:

Mariam -- I am so happy that you set out -- and
    accomplished such a surreal walk.

I, too, walk on Sunday at the Susan G. Komen walk in Newport Beach -- crying right now just remembering all the faces of Hope, Survival ship and Warriors in throes of treatment. Most humbling experience of my life.

Vicki Sam

the feeling is unbelievable!
    Whether you like the color or not, it's amazing to see the "sea of pink". Our local walk was Saturday morning. I opted out this year because of a conflict in schedules. It absolutely poured down rain during the event but they said there were still just over 14,00 participants. WOW!

Congratulations on taking part in the walk. Very happy you had a great time!
    Marsha