support groups for children/girls whose mother's have/had BC or passed away

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
I was wondering does anyone know of any support groups for children whose mother's have or had BC or passed away from breast cancer, especially for girls. I know this is difficult for boys however for girls they also face the threat of possibly having BC in their lives as well.

My 12 year daughter doesn't take much to me about it but after she found a lump in her breast (a friend had elbowed her real hard in the breast by accident) she had me feel it and asked me if I thought it would be BC. So I am fairly sure that any lump in her breast is going to be a bigger scare of her than had I not ever had breast cancer.

I am thinking if we can come together to give each other support, wouldn't it be great if there were a place, I would prefer locally where children could meet under adult supervision and share stories and fears, hopes, dreams and the impact this has on their lives.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I don't know about specifically for bc
    however, our local cancer wellness house has support groups for children. You may want to check and see if there is anything like this in your area. I have heard it is a really good group here. I would also call your local chapter of AMC, they may know what is available in the area.

Good luck,
    Carol
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Support Group for Kids
    Hi Mariam,

I would recommend that you contact the group called Kids Konnected. It was started about 18 years ago in Southern California by an 11 year old boy after his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. It is specifically about the needs of children who have a parent with cancer or who have lost a parent to cancer. Their corporate offices are in Laguna Hills,CA but they have offices in Northern California and other parts of the country as well.

26071 Merit Circle Suite 103
    Laguna Hills, CA 92653
    Phone: (949) 582-5443
    Toll Free: 800.899.2866
    email: info@kidskonnected.org

Hope this is helpful.

IRENE
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    camul said:

I don't know about specifically for bc
    however, our local cancer wellness house has support groups for children. You may want to check and see if there is anything like this in your area. I have heard it is a really good group here. I would also call your local chapter of AMC, they may know what is available in the area.

Good luck,
    Carol

I am sure there is something
    I am sure there is something for children with any type of cancer.They need to understand and have support.It is very important for the children.THey make friends with kids going through the same thing with their parents or any family member.

For the elbowing.I was elbowed by my grandson accidentally. Five months later a tumor was found.6 weeks (after a delay getting a biopsy) I was told I had cancer.I read blows don't cause it but as soon as it happened I worried.Family history too which didn't help matters I've had a history of benign tumors and one cyst since I was 20.

I don't thin we know what causes bc.Very confusing no matter how much we think we know. I do know at the time I lost 12 lbs. Was under alot of stress with serious neighbor problems and couldn't eat.Even became anemic.

Lynn Smith