joint pains after chemo

Perajo
Perajo Member Posts: 6
does anyone know if joint pain is a long-term side effect of the chemo drugs adriamycin and endoxin? My chemo finished in May followed by 33 sessions of radiation. I have stiffness in my joints which was never there before, and swelling and pain in my ankles, knees and thumbs?! I am 54 so I wonder if it's just old age starting early!! I am taking tamoxifen. Any advice would be great - a friend told me to try pro-collagen and athro-guard what do you all think? Thanks for listening - this is great - having contact with people who've gone/are going through the same or similar concerns. Regards P x

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    joint pain
    Ask your chemo doctor if it would be ok to take Claratin. It has been known to help with this pain. We don;t know why, it just does. I am on Allegra for allergies and rather than switch back to Claratin (which did not work for my allergies), it worked just fine on the joint pain as well.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

joint pain
    Ask your chemo doctor if it would be ok to take Claratin. It has been known to help with this pain. We don;t know why, it just does. I am on Allegra for allergies and rather than switch back to Claratin (which did not work for my allergies), it worked just fine on the joint pain as well.

I have the same issues> I do
    I have the same issues> I do take claritin but it doesnt help. i am going to try glucosamine.I find using exersize helps and stretching feels good. Things I dont want to do because of the pain. I feel like an arthritci old lady, but if you dont use it you will lose it.
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377

joint pain

@ laughs Wow, I had no idea! =) I've got a scrip for both but haven't taken any for some time now. You're saying that it could help with joint pain? Maybe I should re-up one or the other...
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Vit D?
    Hi -- How is your vit. D level? I asked because mine was a 6!!! And I was given 50K, three times a week for three weeks, and I've been feeling better about bone and joint pains. Not sure if these are related, but it doesn't hurt to ask your Dr. I am also taking tamoxifen and find the vit. D has helped with side effects too.

Good luck!
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member

Vit D?
    Hi -- How is your vit. D level? I asked because mine was a 6!!! And I was given 50K, three times a week for three weeks, and I've been feeling better about bone and joint pains. Not sure if these are related, but it doesn't hurt to ask your Dr. I am also taking tamoxifen and find the vit. D has helped with side effects too.

Good luck!

Could also be tamoxifin, I think
    Claritin belied me with neulasta but I am not sure what works for tamoxifin aches.

Ask your doctor what he/she recommends and hope you find some relief soon.

Laura
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    dbhadra said:

Could also be tamoxifin, I think
    Claritin belied me with neulasta but I am not sure what works for tamoxifin aches.

Ask your doctor what he/she recommends and hope you find some relief soon.

Laura

I am so sorry .. so many side efforts that are not
    presented to us during our initial conversations/meeting with Medical Professionals concerning our chemo infusions or radiation.

What about the lingering side effort that haunt many of us for years!!! Frustrating to say the very least ~~~~~

Please consult with your Doctor as soon as possible --- Wish I had a magic pill to make all the pain go away ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99
    VickiSam said:

I am so sorry .. so many side efforts that are not
    presented to us during our initial conversations/meeting with Medical Professionals concerning our chemo infusions or radiation.

What about the lingering side effort that haunt many of us for years!!! Frustrating to say the very least ~~~~~

Please consult with your Doctor as soon as possible --- Wish I had a magic pill to make all the pain go away ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

I just finished 8/25/11 and
    I just finished 8/25/11 and I am suffering from alot of joint pain as well it almost feels like in the am my finger joints are broke and walk like a old lady I see ongology doc mon so hopefully will get some relief. Hang in there I feel your pain!!!!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    joint pain
    Lots of joint pain here, too. I'm on tamoxifen, so I think that is a cause.
    My reg. doc. suggested glucosimine, exercise, & tylenol arthritis pill. So far,
    it has helped a lot! Hope you can get some relief.
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    Tux said:

joint pain
    Lots of joint pain here, too. I'm on tamoxifen, so I think that is a cause.
    My reg. doc. suggested glucosimine, exercise, & tylenol arthritis pill. So far,
    it has helped a lot! Hope you can get some relief.

Joint pain
    Calcium + D seems to help my joint pain.

Hugs,

Ticky
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I too have allot of pain. I
    I too have allot of pain. I had some on chemo but it was manageable. Mine started when I stated Arimidex. I was on Arimidex for 8 months because I heard that some times it will subside after a few months. It didn't it just kept getting worse. I was then put on Famara. The pain in my feet went away completely. But the pain in my knee and wrist got worse then ever. There are days I come close to crying uncle.. It's bad. I also developed insomnia on Femara. And had diarrhea. My Dr took me off it for 2 weeks until I see her on the 10th then we will decides to try it again or change it. I think all that is left is tamoxifen. what happens if you just cant take these drugs?? Can they give you some thing that manages the pain and other side effects with out tearing up you stomach or digestive tract? OH what to do...... I'm stumped. I know we need these drugs but 5 years with these side effects is a very long time...I feel your pain I really do......Kay
  • Winnie16
    Winnie16 Member Posts: 1

I too have allot of pain. I
    I too have allot of pain. I had some on chemo but it was manageable. Mine started when I stated Arimidex. I was on Arimidex for 8 months because I heard that some times it will subside after a few months. It didn't it just kept getting worse. I was then put on Famara. The pain in my feet went away completely. But the pain in my knee and wrist got worse then ever. There are days I come close to crying uncle.. It's bad. I also developed insomnia on Femara. And had diarrhea. My Dr took me off it for 2 weeks until I see her on the 10th then we will decides to try it again or change it. I think all that is left is tamoxifen. what happens if you just cant take these drugs?? Can they give you some thing that manages the pain and other side effects with out tearing up you stomach or digestive tract? OH what to do...... I'm stumped. I know we need these drugs but 5 years with these side effects is a very long time...I feel your pain I really do......Kay

joint pain after chemo
    I can't believe it, all these women have the same joint pains I do! I thought it was just old age (I'm only 54...) and bad luck. But now I am convinced that it is either the chemo (I had A/C and Taxol) or the Tamoxifen or the Femara (though I was only on Femara for 6 months before I took myself off it because of the joint pain). I had no arthritis before my treatment. Now my rheumatologist says I have 'generalised osteoarthritis', meaning it is in my feet, knees, hips, pelvis, neck, fingers and elbows (did I miss any joints?). I've been reading blogs about survivors complaining about joint pain dating back over 10 years. Why haven't the oncologists followed up on this side effect of chemo? Isn't there any good remedies to deal with the pain/stiffness? I have been on Celebrex for 3 years and even then I supplement that with Tylenol. Any other suggestions for a remedy? For what it's worth, at least we're not alone! Winnie16
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I also had a great deal of
    I also had a great deal of joint pain, actually inflammation in my joints for 7 months after chemo. I couldn't hold a pen in my hand to sign my name for 7 months it was so painful,I have big bones and you could not see my ankles because they were so swollen, I had carpal tunnel and tennis elbow as well. All this came during chemo. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most pain, everyday for 7 months I was at about a 7. I worked with a physical therapist for a while to find things that could ease the pain. For me, heat worked wonders, applying a hot pad, sitting in the sauna or hot tub. Swimming also was very beneficial. I also wore compression gloves and socks at night which helped a great deal and I drank 12 - 16 glasses of water a day. I did also see an acupunturist who took the pain level down even further.

I did take extra multi-vitamin, L-carnitine, Fish oil and milk thistle with Oncs approval after chemo. And I watched my diet, followed a diet to reduce inflammation.

take care.

ps: I am 45 (44 at the time).
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485

I also had a great deal of
    I also had a great deal of joint pain, actually inflammation in my joints for 7 months after chemo. I couldn't hold a pen in my hand to sign my name for 7 months it was so painful,I have big bones and you could not see my ankles because they were so swollen, I had carpal tunnel and tennis elbow as well. All this came during chemo. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most pain, everyday for 7 months I was at about a 7. I worked with a physical therapist for a while to find things that could ease the pain. For me, heat worked wonders, applying a hot pad, sitting in the sauna or hot tub. Swimming also was very beneficial. I also wore compression gloves and socks at night which helped a great deal and I drank 12 - 16 glasses of water a day. I did also see an acupunturist who took the pain level down even further.

I did take extra multi-vitamin, L-carnitine, Fish oil and milk thistle with Oncs approval after chemo. And I watched my diet, followed a diet to reduce inflammation.

take care.

ps: I am 45 (44 at the time).

Dang! I was on Taxotere and
    Dang! I was on Taxotere and Carboplatin. My legs are KILLING me!!! I thought it was from the Neulasta shot. I've told my onc every time I see her, and she says it will go away. I've only finished chemo 4 weeks ago, but listening to you all, seems "going away" might not be the case :(! I also feel like an 80 year old woman at 52. Walking from one room to another is almost too much for me! My ankles were so swollen this weekend, you couldn't see them. Arms ache....yuck!!!! I just want my strength back!!!
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    SueRelays said:

Dang! I was on Taxotere and
    Dang! I was on Taxotere and Carboplatin. My legs are KILLING me!!! I thought it was from the Neulasta shot. I've told my onc every time I see her, and she says it will go away. I've only finished chemo 4 weeks ago, but listening to you all, seems "going away" might not be the case :(! I also feel like an 80 year old woman at 52. Walking from one room to another is almost too much for me! My ankles were so swollen this weekend, you couldn't see them. Arms ache....yuck!!!! I just want my strength back!!!

I feel ya!!!
    Same here ladies,I finished chemo in January 2011 and radiation in April and i feel like an old lady too! I'm on femara i think that's the little culprit for me, I take calcium 600mg a day and 5000mg of vit.D a day (Dr. recommended) and they tell me to exercise and lift at least 10 pds. of weights well i feel to bad to do it. I'm going to try some of you guys remedies can't hurt.and to top it off lately I've been feeling depressed,never had that problem before and anxiety. MOLLYZ