anyone nieve (SP?) as me when told I had BC?

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
Meaning: MY call to my dr I was told NOT good and NOT rael bad you have DCIS! Call a surgeon!
so I LOOKED online DCIS and first word that popped up was CANCER! Followed by surgery, radiation etc.

UNTIL I went to the surgeon with husband and good mom like friend (BC in her past)I was good until he said THE SURVIVAL rate it good...then I sobbed..and rest of office visit is a blurrrrr

Comments

• ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Yes I was real dumb when it came to cancer
    Really who knows of these things unless you have had experience with it, or are a pre-med student.
    My doc called said the tumor was malignant. I said, "well what the hell does that mean." I didn't know what the word "malignant" meant. I didn't know what a biopsy was or what an oncologist specialized in.

My doc never gave me the stats for survival rates. To this day I don't know, don't want to know. There's not a thing more that I can do that I'm not doing now to keep my life, so why know. It creates fear, and depression, if your chance of survival isn't good. And who really knows when one is going to pass away anyway. I really wish the drs. wouldn't give survival rates, unless the patient ask for it.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    I didn't know a lot
    But I knew a little bit and unfortunately have found out even more since I found this site that might have made things a lot better. My primary care doc told me that when you say cancer to someone they stop listening..I think he is right, it is all a blur. And I really didn't understand why his nurse thought I should have someone with me when I got the call regarding my biopsy, now I know. Maybe had I been a little better informed I would have gone about treatment and surgery differently, but nobody wants to be informed about cancer if they don't have to be (medical professionals excluded) and I can't play the coulda shoulda woulda game.

Boy have we all learned things we would have rather have been ignorant about!

Jennifer
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    IKR (i know right)
    When the Dr. office called and said i had cancer cells i asked what was that i didn't know anything about it but thank God for this site because i don't know where i would be now without it. MOLLYZ
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    oh my! I remember this day
    oh my! I remember this day clearly. I heard the word "malignant', and I started to question what my stone would say. :( I thought once you had cancer, it was a life sentence. There were no survivors in my family so right away I thought my time was here...to say good bye. I was 32, no kids, and had just started a wonderful relationship.

Then after it was explained to me that with the treatments, I would be on remission, I felt better. Like many pink sisters say, we just don't know when our time would come. But it would help if we didn't have to deal with this illness.

My mom's reaction was - in front of the Dr. - "STOP!!!! YOU DONT HAVE CANCER! STOP SAYING YOU HAVE CANCER! THE TUMOR IS MALIGNANT - THAT'S ALL!". :( She was very upset.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    My sister had breast cancer
    My sister had breast cancer and she lived with me for several years prior to her death. I went to a lot of her appointments and treatment. That is why I do what I do. When I was diagnosed, I started planning out what I thought my treatments would be. I was glad that it was very similar to what the doctor had planned. I feel much better about my job knowing that I am pretty knowledgeable regarding breast cancer.
    Even with all the experience I have, it was really, really different being on the other side. I hope it will add to my patient care skills in a positive way!

Cindy
  • disneyfan2008

Yes I was real dumb when it came to cancer
    Really who knows of these things unless you have had experience with it, or are a pre-med student.
    My doc called said the tumor was malignant. I said, "well what the hell does that mean." I didn't know what the word "malignant" meant. I didn't know what a biopsy was or what an oncologist specialized in.

My doc never gave me the stats for survival rates. To this day I don't know, don't want to know. There's not a thing more that I can do that I'm not doing now to keep my life, so why know. It creates fear, and depression, if your chance of survival isn't good. And who really knows when one is going to pass away anyway. I really wish the drs. wouldn't give survival rates, unless the patient ask for it.

Ms Sunshine
    I am not the only one...who doesn't really know maligment etc.. I see many post on her margins, #s etc..I was never told nor would it have made any sense to me if they did tell me!

Also: when done with radiation I was in my own world-ITHOUGHT I was done to never see cancer center again. They called me back in 3 or 6 mths-I said NO I am done. I was told never really done with them..goffy me..

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    mamolady said:

My sister had breast cancer
    My sister had breast cancer and she lived with me for several years prior to her death. I went to a lot of her appointments and treatment. That is why I do what I do. When I was diagnosed, I started planning out what I thought my treatments would be. I was glad that it was very similar to what the doctor had planned. I feel much better about my job knowing that I am pretty knowledgeable regarding breast cancer.
    Even with all the experience I have, it was really, really different being on the other side. I hope it will add to my patient care skills in a positive way!

Cindy

well UNTILI found this site
    well UNTILI found this site I did not consider myself a survivor at all. I just to thid day say "I had cancer 3 yrs ago" ONLY reason I came to this site/ fell upon it, a good friend hade melonoma , surgery etc. (NO treatments) she said I am a cancer survivor! I said YOU are? she said YES...so when I found this site and asked..

hehe

Denise
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    I knew about breast cancer
    I knew about breast cancer because my mom had it. And through the years I had tumors removed that were not cancerous. That's what I expected this last time around. I knew I had cancer when the technician doing the biopsy told me they were having good success with this cancer. And he mentioned how fast it had grown. I was half naked and hearing all this was a huge shock. Then my primary doctor set me up with a surgeon who told me the whole breast had to come off, and the oncologist walked in and said (after the mysectomy) that there were two bad kinds of cancer and I had one of them. I went from one shocking statement to another one. I was panicked and confused. I wish doctors would spend a little time with us and talk with us more. I missed so many things I probably needed to know because I was in such shock.

Judy
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    poplolly said:

I knew about breast cancer because my mom had it. And through the years I had tumors removed that were not cancerous. That's what I expected this last time around. I knew I had cancer when the technician doing the biopsy told me they were having good success with this cancer. And he mentioned how fast it had grown. I was half naked and hearing all this was a huge shock. Then my primary doctor set me up with a surgeon who told me the whole breast had to come off, and the oncologist walked in and said (after the mysectomy) that there were two bad kinds of cancer and I had one of them. I went from one shocking statement to another one. I was panicked and confused. I wish doctors would spend a little time with us and talk with us more. I missed so many things I probably needed to know because I was in such shock.

Judy

Good Grief, Judy. How
    Good Grief, Judy. How insensitive of the tech and the doc.

I was very naive when I had cancer the first time and I was sure it was a death sentence. That was 26 years ago. I wasn't so naive 16 years ago when I had it again but I knew I would approach it differently from the first cancer. Hence I had a mastectomy and reconstruction from my belly. This time it is a recurrence from the first one and a significant tumor. I'm not naive but I also don't want to have my head in the sand. I explore options, ask a lot of questions and try to allow myself to be led through prayer and meditation. So far so good.
    I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hugs
    Pam
  • disneyfan2008
    poplolly said:

Judy

judy:
    I was fortunate enough to have my husband as well as life time friend-3 x cancer patient came along-so once I lost it I had 2 sets of ears-which was great!

Denise
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

judy:
    I was fortunate enough to have my husband as well as life time friend-3 x cancer patient came along-so once I lost it I had 2 sets of ears-which was great!

Denise

I have to say I am the worst
    I have to say I am the worst at being naive.My first 2 tumors I was 20.Just given birth to my oldest.I was told I may not have a breast when I wake up.Just depends on the outcome.First thing when I woke up was to feel if I had a breast.I did. My mom was next to me crying her eyes out.I kept thinking why is she crying so hard??I'm OK. She was crying since she was dx at 21. Being that young and having 2 tumors I thought with one tumor no spreading but 2 it must have spread and they just decided to leave the breast. Years ago people only lived 6 months.Through the years and more tumors that were benign I got comfortable.In the hosptial in 2 days and they were out.No waiting time then. Then 2 years ago I was told I had a tumor and cyst.The tumor needed a biopsy.They would send the report to my doctor for a order.It got by the wayside.Calls to my doctor werent getting anywhere and I was getting letters from the Breast center.Finally after 6 weeks I got my biopsy.Was called in the office the next day.I was still thinking since my doctor waited it must be benign.Naive.I get in there and was told it was cancer but non invasive and the cancerous tumor comes out in 2 weeks.Now I will never let a couple days go by.The b center can get you in soon for biopsies.Not usually much of a wait.This last time(Aug) it was 3 weeks and they got me in the next day.See another long wait.Thank Goodness that tumor was benign

Denise

I can't imagine your doctor calling you and telling you it is cancer and see a surgeon.I was called in to the office but I did wait longer than I should've. I sometimes read on here that doctors do call.That is unusual to me.But everyone is different.

Before dx I was so naive I went by myself to the doctor for my results.I still had it in my head it probably is benign.So you know I was in denial and shock.Not naive anymore I want my order in to the Breast Center within 2 days.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008

I have to say I am the worst
    I have to say I am the worst at being naive.My first 2 tumors I was 20.Just given birth to my oldest.I was told I may not have a breast when I wake up.Just depends on the outcome.First thing when I woke up was to feel if I had a breast.I did. My mom was next to me crying her eyes out.I kept thinking why is she crying so hard??I'm OK. She was crying since she was dx at 21. Being that young and having 2 tumors I thought with one tumor no spreading but 2 it must have spread and they just decided to leave the breast. Years ago people only lived 6 months.Through the years and more tumors that were benign I got comfortable.In the hosptial in 2 days and they were out.No waiting time then. Then 2 years ago I was told I had a tumor and cyst.The tumor needed a biopsy.They would send the report to my doctor for a order.It got by the wayside.Calls to my doctor werent getting anywhere and I was getting letters from the Breast center.Finally after 6 weeks I got my biopsy.Was called in the office the next day.I was still thinking since my doctor waited it must be benign.Naive.I get in there and was told it was cancer but non invasive and the cancerous tumor comes out in 2 weeks.Now I will never let a couple days go by.The b center can get you in soon for biopsies.Not usually much of a wait.This last time(Aug) it was 3 weeks and they got me in the next day.See another long wait.Thank Goodness that tumor was benign

Denise

I can't imagine your doctor calling you and telling you it is cancer and see a surgeon.I was called in to the office but I did wait longer than I should've. I sometimes read on here that doctors do call.That is unusual to me.But everyone is different.

Before dx I was so naive I went by myself to the doctor for my results.I still had it in my head it probably is benign.So you know I was in denial and shock.Not naive anymore I want my order in to the Breast Center within 2 days.

Lynn Smith

@Lynne:
    I LOVE MY Dr and at

@Lynne:

I LOVE MY Dr and at the time I had been his patient about 20 yrs-but I TOO was surprised he had me call him-then her returned my call. EVEN MY gastro makes me go in after coloscopy each year (for 20 yrs. MY oncolotist make me go in for blood results.

I LOVE HIM..great Dr- he has done my corrective surgery long ago (for have my 2nd child) & my recent hysterctomy! I am very happy with him. (years ago I moved-changed gynos-hated new one so I drive to Ct from NY for him. (I am not far over NY/CT boarder so worth it)
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

@Lynne:
    I LOVE MY Dr and at

@Lynne:

I LOVE MY Dr and at the time I had been his patient about 20 yrs-but I TOO was surprised he had me call him-then her returned my call. EVEN MY gastro makes me go in after coloscopy each year (for 20 yrs. MY oncolotist make me go in for blood results.

I LOVE HIM..great Dr- he has done my corrective surgery long ago (for have my 2nd child) & my recent hysterctomy! I am very happy with him. (years ago I moved-changed gynos-hated new one so I drive to Ct from NY for him. (I am not far over NY/CT boarder so worth it)

My doctor
    My doctor before this last surgeon I had for over 25 years.I've been with this group of doctors for 44 years.I retired the first 2.This new doctor I've had maybe 6 years. He was adamant for me to come in. Even had another doctor(female) to stand in with us.I guess seeing no one was with me he thought it was best.

Maybe he had you call BECAUSE he thought it was BENIGN.You may have called before he had time to change his mind.I know I would call ASAP if they told me to.

This last time mine was benign I was called.

Lynn Smith
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    I to didn't know much about
    I to didn't know much about cancer. Except to hear people have or had it. Even friends but still didn't know much. I wish I did know more and would have done some things differently. I do know that things happen and we have to live our lives as we think is best for us. This site has helped me a lot and I appreciate all the help, patience and prayers from all.
    Diana