Finally getting a wheelchair

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
It has taken 11 weeks for the wheelchair company to get approval! Amazing, this was not UHC, but the local mobility company. Found out yesterday, they are a third party vendor contracted to a national company.

When they came to my home to access me, I was told it would take 4 - 6 weeks. It took 3 weeks just to get him here.

That was done in mid July. Said it would take 4 - 6 weeks but he needed to send me the paperwork which I needed to sign giving his company the right to rep me. It would be in the mail within the next few days. Took 5 weeks, a phone call and p processor who mailed to a wrong address the week before. Said it was my fault, I must have given the wrong address, I told her if that was the case how did he get to my house?

Last Tuesday, I got a letter from UHC stating they approved me for a power chair, but the claim was put in wrong. Called UHC and was told no description of the chair or Model numbers etc. Called the wheelchair company again, got his processor again and explained what UHC said and she got very defensive, finally I told her that there are 5 other companies here that work with UHC that would be happy to take over the claim. Said she would call me back Tuesday morning. She called back on Wednesday to tell me she had just emailed them and should have a response by Friday afternoon, maybe Monday. I told her that was not acceptable. If I haven't heard from her by Today, Thursday, I will cancel their participation with UHC.

She called at 9:15 this morning to tell me she called the national company this morning and they worked with a rep from UHC and were able to fax the missing info. They ordered the wheelchair and it will be here in 2-6 weeks.

I am so frustrated that we have to work with such incompetence. This company is about a mile from my house. I could have gone there and had this all done in 1-2 weeks, instead it took 11. Doctor's office contacted them on the 1st of July and faxed the prescription.

Now I am curious to see how long it really takes to get here. It is a power chair that easily breaks down to 4 pieces to fit in a trunk!

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    OMG Carol! That is
    OMG Carol! That is ridiculous what you had to go thru. I am so very sorry. I am hoping and praying that they expedite the power chair to you!

Keep us updated as to when you get it.

Sue :)
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    Ritzy said:

OMG Carol! That is
    OMG Carol! That is ridiculous what you had to go thru. I am so very sorry. I am hoping and praying that they expedite the power chair to you!

Keep us updated as to when you get it.

Sue :)

Boy - sometimes we really
    Boy - sometimes we really have to jump through
    hoops to get things done. I hope now this will
    go through the "system" rapidly and you will have
    your chair sooner rather than later. Praying tnis
    will make your life easier and that you can get out
    and about.

Luv & hugs, Teresa
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    gami43 said:

Boy - sometimes we really
    Boy - sometimes we really have to jump through
    hoops to get things done. I hope now this will
    go through the "system" rapidly and you will have
    your chair sooner rather than later. Praying tnis
    will make your life easier and that you can get out
    and about.

Luv & hugs, Teresa

Geeeesh--that is really ridiculous!
    I'm sending the positive vibes to get that thing in your house as of tomorrow! You have waited far too long. My mantra this evening is "wheelchair to Carol's, wheelchair to Carol's, wheelchair to Carol's"!!!

Hugs, Renee
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    missrenee said:

Geeeesh--that is really ridiculous!
    I'm sending the positive vibes to get that thing in your house as of tomorrow! You have waited far too long. My mantra this evening is "wheelchair to Carol's, wheelchair to Carol's, wheelchair to Carol's"!!!

Hugs, Renee

you made me laugh renee!
    I don't even get upset anymore! Have to laugh though!
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    camul said:

you made me laugh renee!
    I don't even get upset anymore! Have to laugh though!

that is unacceptable....
    how can they be so inconsiderate...hopefully now after you told them they will be on top of it...

hugs

Eva
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    epark said:

that is unacceptable....
    how can they be so inconsiderate...hopefully now after you told them they will be on top of it...

hugs

Eva

Let me know...
    If the chair doesn't show up pronto.....I'll call my "uncle Giudo"....haha... So sorry Carol that you have had this extra burden....enough already...
    Lots of hugs, Nancy
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    11 weeks
    If you need to pay them anything why don't you loose the check for 11 weeks.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow so sorry going through
    wow so sorry going through all this...I"LL send you some pixie dust from Tinkerbell...

Denise
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

wow so sorry going through
    wow so sorry going through all this...I"LL send you some pixie dust from Tinkerbell...

Denise

Well thank god you're
    Well thank god you're getting it Carol. With all the incompetence there it's amazing the paper work didn't get screwed up and you didn't get approved. I am sure it will be heaven to have your mobility back. Life is so screwy... those that deserve it have to jump through hoops and those less deserving get things right away. Messed up I tell ya... messed up.

Anyways congrats on the new wheels....
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Well thank god you're
    Well thank god you're getting it Carol. With all the incompetence there it's amazing the paper work didn't get screwed up and you didn't get approved. I am sure it will be heaven to have your mobility back. Life is so screwy... those that deserve it have to jump through hoops and those less deserving get things right away. Messed up I tell ya... messed up.

Anyways congrats on the new wheels....
    Hugs,
    Lorrie

I am happy
    I am happy you finally have your wheelchair. About time.All that paperwork and hoopla for just a simple thing.You need to be able to get around. They should understand. What I am hoping for after all your treatment you will be walking around without any problems. That is my prayer.Hoping you are back on your feet soon.

I know the waiting game.I waited almost 3 weeks for a biopsy order.Senseless.It took the breast center to get it for me and it took just 1 hour.Same thing the time before that.It took 6 weeks for my biopsy and that time it was cancer. This is our lives, our well being and we are just shoved aside and ignored. Like someone said to me"Their families wouldn't be treated that way".

Lynn Smith