ovary removal

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
hello can you share your experiences with this. How did you decide, why was it advised. and how do you feel after. I have gone into chemopause and was wondering if the ovary removal makes all those symptoms worse? I have talked to my physicians about htis and they advised me to get a little stronger physically then decide. so it has been a year out from treatment and I need to decide.

Comments

• Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    hysterectomy
    Hi There. I did not have chemo, but was on tamoxifan for BC diagnosed in Jan 2011.
    Had lumpectomy, radiation and tamoxifan.

So, I started having the hot flashes a few months ago when I started the tamoxifan. I just had my hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. It was by far the easiest surgery so far...and I've had a few. It was done laprascopically(sp?). I have 5 little scars - really tiny...the biggest issue has been gas/constipation. I was given tylenol 3's from the hospital and never took a single one...I haven't really noticed any pain, the big issue is the swelly belly at night, you need to sleep on a pillow again like when I was pregnant. lol This is supposed to go away, but it hasn't yet.

Regarding the effects after the surgery, so far I have had one really bad cold flash...and I notice the heat more, but this has not been much different than what I was like on Tamoxifan...and I am still taking it.

I had cysts on my ovaries and one was persistant, plus thickening of the uterine lining already...which is the reason I had the hysterectomy...pathology has not come in yet....still waiting...

I know we are not in the same place and it's hard to compare situations...good luck with your decision. Take care, S73
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I made decision myself
    Hi Penny
    I made decision myself not to do it for now. I spoke with my gynecologist who said that my menopausal side effects like lack of energy. insomnia, and hot flashes will be much worse. I am glad because I could not tolerate Arimidex, however I developed osteoporosis very quickly to everyones (except me) surprise. Anyway I was put back on Tamoxifen and I continue to see gynecologist every 3 to 4 months, After all of my treatment I eventually feel ok, however it is very fragile balance which I do not want to to change. It does not mean I will never do it, but for now I am keeping mine. I am BRCA 1 &2 negative, otherwise it could be out of the question.
    Hugs
    New Flower
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Personally, I didn't want to
    Personally, I didn't want to go on tamoxifin, I preferred to go on an AI because of the side effects. I only had my ovary out not the uterus. (I only had one ovary) So far the side effects aren't bad from the ovary being out. I think my hot flashes are actually calming down. The surgery was pretty easy. My mother in law was pretty impressed how quick I recovered.

Good luck!
    Cindy
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    ovary removal
    I have not had mine out but those with triple negative bc who have a gene mutation called BCRA1 or BCRA2 have an increased risk of ovarian cancer. I will probably be tested for the mutation as my cousin had it. Since I am done with kids I will remove them as a precaution. I am post menopausal anyway.
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    I had ovaries removed
    because I was er+ and BRCA1+. I was also pr+ and her2+ but that has nothing to do with it. Since the ovaries produce estrogen and the cancer I had was fed by estrogen, doc recommended ovaries removed. I finished chemo in Aug 2010, radiation Oct 2010, and had ovaries removed laproscopically in Nov 2010. I, too was in chemopause and noticed for me the symptoms after ovary surgery were not too much different. I get a hot flash here and there but nothing major. I am 43 and am finished having kids so it was a no brainer for me to have this done. Afterwards, I did have severe pain in abdomen for about a week but doc said this was due to air that is pumped in there for surgery. I have 3 tiny incisions that healed very quickly. Now, the BONUS is no more period!! woohoo!!

Remember, everyone is different so it's something you need to decide for yourself. I wish you strength and peace with whatever you decide.

Chris
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

I made decision myself
    Hi Penny
    I made decision myself not to do it for now. I spoke with my gynecologist who said that my menopausal side effects like lack of energy. insomnia, and hot flashes will be much worse. I am glad because I could not tolerate Arimidex, however I developed osteoporosis very quickly to everyones (except me) surprise. Anyway I was put back on Tamoxifen and I continue to see gynecologist every 3 to 4 months, After all of my treatment I eventually feel ok, however it is very fragile balance which I do not want to to change. It does not mean I will never do it, but for now I am keeping mine. I am BRCA 1 &2 negative, otherwise it could be out of the question.
    Hugs
    New Flower

My gynocologist and my
    My gynocologist and my oncologist have left it up to me. I must say that neither pushed for it, so, I am not planning on anymore surgery in the future. Good luck to you carkris in what you decide.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    mckevnic said:

I had ovaries removed
    because I was er+ and BRCA1+. I was also pr+ and her2+ but that has nothing to do with it. Since the ovaries produce estrogen and the cancer I had was fed by estrogen, doc recommended ovaries removed. I finished chemo in Aug 2010, radiation Oct 2010, and had ovaries removed laproscopically in Nov 2010. I, too was in chemopause and noticed for me the symptoms after ovary surgery were not too much different. I get a hot flash here and there but nothing major. I am 43 and am finished having kids so it was a no brainer for me to have this done. Afterwards, I did have severe pain in abdomen for about a week but doc said this was due to air that is pumped in there for surgery. I have 3 tiny incisions that healed very quickly. Now, the BONUS is no more period!! woohoo!!

Remember, everyone is different so it's something you need to decide for yourself. I wish you strength and peace with whatever you decide.

Chris

I had a total hysterectomy
    I had a total hysterectomy when I was 38 years old, long before I had bc. I have to say I've never had many of the "dreaded' effects, hardly any sweats, hot flashes. It was a gift for me after having endometriosis with so much pain for years. Now after bc treatments and on Femara for several months now, I'm having night sweats, hot flashes and bone pain. Sometimes the cancer drugs are worse on us than other things. Talk again with your drs and ask them for their opinion. If there is a risk for ovarian cancer I would have the surgery. Wishing the best for you as you make your decision.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo but
    I did not have chemo but just had (MAY 2011) complete hysterctomy due to tamoxifen. Dr was going to leave ovaries and I SAID take it all, YOU will not be getting back for surgery again.
    I am 52 about 4+ yrs post meno....I do not feel any difference! Main reason for surgery was my uterus was very thickened (side effect to be expected)

Denise
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hysterectomy
    I lost my mom to ovarian cancer and my sister was positive when she had the gene testing done so after my second cancer battle I opted for a total hysterectomy and I am so glad that I did. I only had a few crying jags (run away emotions) and that was within the first two weeks of the hysterectomy and the funny thing is they were both due to emotional commercials and I knew how silly it was I just could not stop crying. Hot flashes never arrived and the lack of desire for sex never arrived either...husband was happy about that. So for me it all worked out for the best.

Gentle Hugs,

RE
  • 2xround
    2xround Member Posts: 9
    I did it
    I had a bc recurrence while I was pregnant. I had a clear mammogram in June 2010 and in April 2011 a 7 cm tumor was removed, along with 5/9 lymph nodes with tumors up to 3.5 cm. My oncologist said the tumor's explosive growth was clearly fuelled by pregnancy hormones and the tumor was very estrogen sensitive, as was my first tumor, and recommended that I have my ovaries removed. I was certainly not going to take a chance of another pregnancy after this one, so when my baby was born by c/sec I had my ovaries removed. Best birth control there is, in addition to removing a source of estrogen.

I am suffering from menopause symptoms and worrying about osteoporosis in the (near?) future, but I am certainly not sorry I did this. I need to do everything I can to try to be there for my kids as they grow up.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    2xround said:

I did it
    I had a bc recurrence while I was pregnant. I had a clear mammogram in June 2010 and in April 2011 a 7 cm tumor was removed, along with 5/9 lymph nodes with tumors up to 3.5 cm. My oncologist said the tumor's explosive growth was clearly fuelled by pregnancy hormones and the tumor was very estrogen sensitive, as was my first tumor, and recommended that I have my ovaries removed. I was certainly not going to take a chance of another pregnancy after this one, so when my baby was born by c/sec I had my ovaries removed. Best birth control there is, in addition to removing a source of estrogen.

I am suffering from menopause symptoms and worrying about osteoporosis in the (near?) future, but I am certainly not sorry I did this. I need to do everything I can to try to be there for my kids as they grow up.

I did it too
    My Onc. reccomended it so I could stop tamoxifen and start Aromasin. My Gyn. agreed. My experience was it was the easiest surgery I had ever had. Recovery was quick. I have noticed the hot flashes are a little worse and I have some joint pain from the Aromasin. I just did not like taking the Tamoxifen so it was an easy choice for me. Wishing you the best! God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo but had
    I did not have chemo but had total hyterectomy in May due to side effects/thickening of uterus and bleeding (years after post meno) MY Dr suggested to KEEP them (overies) I said take everything and he did. I have not had any issues with my decision

Denise

I was just about 3 yrs on tamoxifen-with side effects at the time
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi -- I've been thinking
    Hi -- I've been thinking about this surgery myself as my tumor was very sensitive to estrogen (99%). But I'm only 33 with no children. Its a big decision but it's always good to listen to your inner voice. Good luck!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    2xround said:

I did it

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck if you should decide to have this surgery done.

Sue :)
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Hi -- I've been thinking
    Hi -- I've been thinking about this surgery myself as my tumor was very sensitive to estrogen (99%). But I'm only 33 with no children. Its a big decision but it's always good to listen to your inner voice. Good luck!

Well,
    I'm 64 so already long past menopause. I had both breast and endometrial cancers, so I had a complete hysterectomy 6 weeks after my breast surgery.

Please ask your docs about the relationship between breast and endometrial cancers. I have observed on both this board and the uterine cancer board that many women have had both and these are not all women who developed endometrial cancer from taking Tamoxifen. I was told by my gyn oncologist that it is not unusual for women to have both over the course of her lifetime.

I understand the ovary thing, but what I don't understand is why not a complete hysterectomy if this is also not uncommon? My ovaries had stopped working long before either of my diagnoses yet each of my cancers were estrogen receptor positive. I did have a lot of years of estrogen exposure, yet. . . I just don't get it about ovaries only.

Suzanne
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Well,
    I'm 64 so already long past menopause. I had both breast and endometrial cancers, so I had a complete hysterectomy 6 weeks after my breast surgery.

Please ask your docs about the relationship between breast and endometrial cancers. I have observed on both this board and the uterine cancer board that many women have had both and these are not all women who developed endometrial cancer from taking Tamoxifen. I was told by my gyn oncologist that it is not unusual for women to have both over the course of her lifetime.

I understand the ovary thing, but what I don't understand is why not a complete hysterectomy if this is also not uncommon? My ovaries had stopped working long before either of my diagnoses yet each of my cancers were estrogen receptor positive. I did have a lot of years of estrogen exposure, yet. . . I just don't get it about ovaries only.

Suzanne

well other things make
    well other things make estrogen that is why the aromatase inhibitors work after menopause. I think. I am thinking about it still and appreciate your thoughtful responses.
  • 2xround
    2xround Member Posts: 9

Well,

Suzanne

Personally
    I had my ovaries removed when I had a c/section done. At that point my ob said my uterus was so enlarged and full of blood due to pregnancy that it would be complicated and risky to remove it. I guess I could have it done at a later point, but the thought of more surgery doesn't make me exactly jump for joy.